Apple Pie Hill Tower Open Saturday

Folks:

I've been following this thread with some interest. Regarding the origin of the toponym "Apple Pie Hill," I would posit that it's sudden rise on an otherwise relatively level terrain had the appearance of an eighteenth-century apple pie. The pies of that era, unlike those of today, contain a large heap of cut-up apple, creating a substantial mound that the baker then covered with dough. Prior to its insertion into the oven, I'm sure the pie's appearance, with its unbaked mounded crust, resembled what we know as Apple Pie Hill, even down to the crust's color matching the sand that composed the salient's structure.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Prior to its insertion into the oven, I'm sure the pie's appearance, with its unbaked mounded crust, resembled what we know as Apple Pie Hill, even down to the crust's color matching the sand that composed the salient's structure.

That is a very interesting observation. I just watched YouTube channel Townsends make an apple pie based on a 1773 recipe in The Universal Cook by - appropriately - John Townshend. There's a nearly identical recipe to the one he follows in this 1792 Francis Collingwood cookbook, if anyone else wants to see it in print; I did.

And indeed, just as you said, prior to baking, I can see the resemblance to a landscape with hills. Particularly if you overstuff the pie a bit. Maybe Dr. Bisbee discarded the "literal resemblance to an apple pie" theory too quickly!

Also...this looks delicious. Maybe I will try my hand at one of these 18th century recipes in the fall.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
They are opening it again on March 18th. Don't climb the tower with a hangover.

from the NJDEP email:

On March 18, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
the Apple Pie Hill Fire Tower on the Wharton State Forest will
be open to climb and take in the fantastic views. On a clear day you can see Philadelphia, Atlantic City and may other points in the surrounding area. And of course, you will see the vastness of the New Jersey Pinelands.
Only the stairs will be open on the 18th and
not the Forest Fire Service's observation room.

Apple Pie Hill is generally recognized as one of the highest points
in southern New Jersey coming in at 205 feet above
sea level. Climbing the fire tower will put you at about 250 feet.

Heavy rain/snow and/or sleet/freezing rain will cancel the event.
If the weather seems questionable to you on the 18th, please call the Wharton State Forest office at 609-561-0024 to see if the event is still taking place.

This event is free and open to the public. Registration is not required.