ArcGIS (or equivalent) maps of Native American sites/PB interest points

Hey all.

I was reading the latest issue of Sojourn and there is an article comparing map locations in a 1600s-drawn map and an ArcGIS map of known Native American sites and speak specifically about the Pennsauken Creek watershed area. Has anyone ever come across that data in some public-facing form? I searched the ArcGIS site and found the main "USA Native Lands" map (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9e985822fa6b41f092c172f22d055484) but nothing else.

Furthermore, are there any public-facing ArcGIS maps of Pine Barrens "heritage" sites?

For purposes of preservation I get why it would not be public information, but if it is I'd love to peruse.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Why not ask the author of that article? The map you linked to apparently only covers locations West of the Mississippi? There's a "New Jersey Natural Heritage Priority Sites" dataset available here, but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about (they are sites which are significant because of their natural instead of historical features)

I used this data on my 2020 topo, some info about that here:

Reactions: aleahey
Why not ask the author of that article? The map you linked to apparently only covers locations West of the Mississippi? There's a "New Jersey Natural Heritage Priority Sites" dataset available here, but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about (they are sites which are significant because of their natural instead of historical features)

I used this data on my 2020 topo, some info about that here:

Thanks for the link and second look on ArcGIS. I would email him but a search for his name doesn't immediately turn up anyone that I think is him (John W. Lawrence). I'll have to do a bit more digging. I thought (hoped) it was commonly available and I was just missing it somehow.

Thanks again!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Since I haven't seen the article, I don't understand the "ArcGIS map" part. Could it be something private that the author created with ArcGIS himself? And can't the publisher of the magazine put you in touch with the author, or at least forward your questions to him? In creating my own maps, I've looked for "interesting data" to include and have not come across any public datasets of Native American sites here in the Pines. But @Spung-Man and @Jerseyman may be able to help, I'm always amazed by their collective knowledge. :)

Reactions: pinelandpaddler
Since I haven't seen the article, I don't understand the "ArcGIS map" part. Could it be something private that the author created with ArcGIS himself? And can't the publisher of the magazine put you in touch with the author, or at least forward your questions to him? In creating my own maps, I've looked for "interesting data" to include and have not come across any public datasets of Native American sites here in the Pines. But @Spung-Man and @Jerseyman may be able to help, I'm always amazed by their collective knowledge. :)
ArcGIS is speculation on my part, I reckon, the figures in the article showing some of the points of interest looks to be the Esri map UI that I've only seen there, so I just assumed (quite possibly incorrectly, in retrospect). In the alternative I think it is as you say, a map created from private data.

Sojourn is published through SJCHC at Stockton, so I'll take your advice and hit up someone there to see if I can get more information.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Boyd

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Hey all.

I was reading the latest issue of Sojourn and there is an article comparing map locations in a 1600s-drawn map and an ArcGIS map of known Native American sites and speak specifically about the Pennsauken Creek watershed area. Has anyone ever come across that data in some public-facing form? I searched the ArcGIS site and found the main "USA Native Lands" map (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9e985822fa6b41f092c172f22d055484) but nothing else.

Furthermore, are there any public-facing ArcGIS maps of Pine Barrens "heritage" sites?

For purposes of preservation I get why it would not be public information, but if it is I'd love to peruse.
I sent you a message

JohnL

Aug 7, 2021
Hartford, NY
Hi, this is the author of the SoJourn article on the Agustine Herrman map. I created the maps in the article myself using ESRI's commerically-available ArcMap 10.8.1. I georeferenced as best I could a jpeg image of Herrman's map, limiting myself to the watersheds mentioned in the article. As amazingly accurate as I think the map is for its time, I didn't find it accurate enough to georeference the entire map.

If you have any more questions, just let me know. Cheers.

Reactions: Boyd