Are Coyotes a threat?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I have never been worried about a coyote while out there but I have had concerns about humans. That pretty much sums up my opinion on this.
Teegate, maybe I should start a new thread "Are humans a threat?" I ran into a large group of hunters today, I guess they were a gun club. An more congenial and friendly group of men I have never met. Have you actually had run-ins with people that made you nervous, or are you just making a general observation about capacity for violence in human nature, which, if you watch the news, is hard to refute.

Reactions: cudgel

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have run into people who concerned me especially having Jessica with me. We try to avoid people as much as possible.

Reactions: SKUT FARKUS

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have run into drunken partiers with guns shooting randomly into the woods in the dark and it happened tp be in my direction.I was young and bold then so i circled around and came in behind em and they turned out to be a pretty good bunch but all quite drunk.Wanted me to camp with em.I was going to hang out awhile till I could sneak off unnoticed but the guy with me was quite shaken so we left.We were camped about a mile away and heard them from there. I also have run into drunk four wheelers who seemd to be bent on mischief.Stopped and asked me what i was doing out there in the dark.Told em just taking a walk,fairly true. They disappeared and headed toward a known party pit.A few minutes later they came back with another turck.I dove into the woods and lay on my belly in the brush.They passed back and forth several times up the road shining lights into the woods.Don't know what they were up to.I had a ranbo knife on me half as long as my arm.I thought I was going to have to show them how people are more dangerous then coyotes.This was near Red Road and the red party pit.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I do all I can to avoid people. However, I will do my best to say hello to the people I know here. I park my car as far off the beaten path as I can and usually a short hike away from where I will be just to remain as stealthy as possible. Some lurkers and knuckleheads know that if they see my car that I am onto something good. Even then, if it comes down to it I will cover my tracks, find cover and wait out any traffic.

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Manumuskin and Gibby, parking far off the road and staying out of sight (when possible) sounds like a good strategy. Though 61 I am fit, but relatively new at wandering deep into the forest. So far I have avoided incidents like Manumuskin describes, and the hunters and hikers that I have encountered seemed to be good citizens. I do tend to avoid groups of kids who are tearing around in their 4 x 4's. though. And I intend to keep a large hunting knife and pepper spray on my belt.

Reactions: manumuskin

SKUT FARKUS

Nov 15, 2015
In a van down by the river
I have only had 4 coyote pics in the 5 years that I have used trail cams.I have only seen 2 ever 15 years apart.They are Wile E.
04-27-15 COYOTE.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to park my truck off the well travelled sand roads and take walks at night.In the summer you get treated to insect and frog aounds and occasional owls,whipoorwills and coyotes and the flies at least are gone but in winter the night sky is at it's best and the sound of nothing but the wind through the pines is just as good.I would even go cross country on full moon nights as long as it was open country. I would generally tend to step off the road when I see or hear people coming but for some reason that night I didn't.Don't know what they were up to but they looked sneaky if you know what i mean and coming back with another truck and a flashlight seemed like they were looking for trouble.Perhaps it was the fact I was in camo from head to toe with knee high moccasins on. Thought I was a woods ninja back then.A lot better stalker 80 lbs and 25 years ago.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Perhaps it was the fact I was in camo from head to toe with knee high moccasins on.

There's your answer Al. The guys in the first truck said to the guys in the second truck: "hey, c'mon with us, we saw a wild man in the woods. We'll show you. Have your camera ready".

You surely disappointed them. :)

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I also have run into drunk four wheelers who seemd to be bent on mischief.Stopped and asked me what i was doing out there in the dark.Told em just taking a walk,fairly true. They disappeared and headed toward a known party pit.A few minutes later they came back with another turck.I dove into the woods and lay on my belly in the brush.They passed back and forth several times up the road shining lights into the woods.Don't know what they were up to.

That's pretty scary

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
I dont see a 35 pound animal as being much of a threat. Im pretty sure That i have the advantage of size and strength over a coyote. Even though they do live in small packs That are just a family group, they almost always hunt alone. So having coyotes gang up on you is unlikely.