Artesian well north of Lower Forge

RIch Geldreich

Dec 29, 2018
New York, New York
I've camped at Lower Forge a bunch of times, and I wasn't aware that there was a well nearby:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-...&q=Artesian well north of Lower Forge&f=false

According to the park ranger they spoke to back in 1978:
"There's an artesian well not too far from the north end of the camp down by the edge of the river..."

Has anyone ever seen this well? The next time I go camping there I want to try and find it.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I've camped at Lower Forge a bunch of times, and I wasn't aware that there was a well nearby:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-98DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=Artesian+well+north+of+Lower+Forge&source=bl&ots=ut6xX3ENl6&sig=1rueX1cgfws4-6sI1vaCvJbJ9Sw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwitwPm2zcbfAhWjVt8KHSO-CmcQ6AEwD3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Artesian well north of Lower Forge&f=false

According to the park ranger they spoke to back in 1978:
"There's an artesian well not too far from the north end of the camp down by the edge of the river..."

Has anyone ever seen this well? The next time I go camping there I want to try and find it.

Thanks for posting that book! I had purchased some of those items advertised in the magazine back then when I used to backpack regularly and it brought back a lot of good memories.

Reactions: RIch Geldreich

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Illegal to hike after dark? never heard of that one.It's not on the signs.I am a serious law breaker if this is true.i know in WMA"s your only allowed after dark if legally hunting or fishing but the State Forest has no such law that I know of.Doesn't matter.I"ll do it anyway.

Reactions: RIch Geldreich

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I think the rule is that the state parks and forests are open from sunrise to sunset. But there are organized night hikes, and of course campers are there all night. I think the rule is to discourage people entering the park after dark and having big parties. Stuff like that. I would be very surprised if night hikers got into any trouble if they were otherwise behaving. On the other hand, it is extremely dark and creepy in there at night so are you crazy?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
When you hike at night your other senses will take over to an extent.If your bushwacking and it's really dark I"d wear goggles with trap so they don't get flung off but you will learn to move slow and feel what your walking into.Just protect your eyes.You hear things at night you will not hear in the day and you can hear further especially on really cold still nights.Summer nights can be maddening with bugs but if it's windy oe]r raining hard that will keep them down and the frogs and whipoorwills are awesome.If there is anything to be afraid of in the woods at night well that thing is there in the day time too.If a critter wants to stalk you chances are day light won't make any difference.Ever try to out run a bear or cougar? The worst tink out there in them woods is chiggers.I think most of us will agree.Adult ticks (Most chiggers are tick larvae) and skeeters are right behind.The day crew are called deer flies and greenheads around salt water.I"ve had bears and coyotes approach me in the woods.After seeing how truly ugly I am they all run.If your not as ugly as I am maybe one of those ugly rubber halloween masks might do the trick.That smile of mine would scare the Jersey Devil off if He were real

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think the rule is that the state parks and forests are open from sunrise to sunset. But there are organized night hikes, and of course campers are there all night. I think the rule is to discourage people entering the park after dark and having big parties. Stuff like that. I would be very surprised if night hikers got into any trouble if they were otherwise behaving. On the other hand, it is extremely dark and creepy in there at night so are you crazy?

I've been in the woods after dark many times and never ran into any problems. Granted it was just me and my camera, not out partying.

Reactions: manumuskin

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Lower forge is one of my favorite places but it also feels among the most isolated. When camping there i have in the past parked my truck on the little loop about 2000 feet south of camp where the Batona Trail sign is, and i always wonder if I'll find it vandalized or broken into in the morning. You are truly in the middle of the woods there- it seems like only on weekends do you ever encounter another person or vehicle. I will look around for the well if the world ever dries out a bit. Has anyone else ever had an issue with overnight parking at that location?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Zach, in my opinion, if someone makes it that far into the woods, he does not have an intent of theft on his mind. He's there for the woods.

Of course there is an exception to every rule, but I'd say the chances are slim. The would-be robber would be thinking "maybe this guy has a gun and if I get caught in the act, I'm gonna get shot, and it's a long way from medical attention".

RIch Geldreich

Dec 29, 2018
New York, New York
Found this while googling Lower Forge. Now the next time I camp there I'm going to be a little more spooked than usual:

http://njbigfoot.org/bigfoot-sightings/atlantic-NJ-35.html

"March 31, 1975. The place: Lower Forge wilderness camp on the Batsto river.

It was a balmy day, but the night grew very still, and cold. We had spent part of the day canoeing down the Batsto, the remainder of daylight was used preparing our camp, gathering firewood, and getting a nice fire going for dinner and warmth. Late that night, around 11pm, we were turning in for a much needed good nights sleep. The front of our tent faced the campfire, far enough away for safety, but close enough to gaze at the small, flickering flames and glowing embers as the fire died down.

We layed there for awhile on our sleeping bags, recounting the days events, thankful for such a place as this. There was not a living soul near us, or sound of one, and the night was extremely still. It was a wonderful feeling being so alone in such a beautiful place. I pulled down the tent fly, and we got in our bags, our feet at the front of the tent, gazing up at the tent frame. The small flickering flames of the campfire played across the front of the tent giving us enough light to see.

Suddenly, a large object blocked the light, it became very dark, and Tom and I were speechless---at least I was until I said "Tom, did you see that?" Tom whispered " Yeah, what the [curse] was that?" He then yelled out "Whoever you are, were coming out, and we have weapons".

Fumbling with the tent fly, we emerged to find the campfire flickering as before, but no evidence of anyone present. We looked around with a flashlight, could not find tracks, or evidence of a visitation to our campsite. The hair on my arms and the back of my neck are standing up as I tell this story.

We both believe we had some kind of visitation, what it was, we do not know. We've discussed it with fellow campers, who have suggested the fire died and then reflashed, but we discard this reasoning because there was a VISIBLE SHADOW, which meant the light was still there, just partially blocked. We are both in our 50's, and whenever we get together, we talk about this event, and relive it just as if it was yesterday."