Article about NJ parks closing due to budget cuts

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
If every department has to make cuts, why shouldn't the parks department?

Ben,
I am not really sure if you're playing devil's advocate here?
Can you broaden your statement?
Part of me says cuts should be across the board, but...

g.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Every department was asked to make cuts. This is what the DEP is cutting.

It's also hardly as bad as people make it out to be. For example, they want to close the bathrooms and visitors center at Monmouth Battlefield State Park.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Every department was asked to make cuts. This is what the DEP is cutting.

It's also hardly as bad as people make it out to be. For example, they want to close the bathrooms and visitors center at Monmouth Battlefield State Park.

So people will still be able to visit the parks? I think it's silly to close parks and bar the public from hiking there. It costs very little for people to hike in parks. And even if they do "close" the parks, people will find a way in for hiking.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Thanks for posting these clarifications. I went back and re-read the article, and you know what, I think the CP deserves a big raspberry for the way they headlined that. If you look at the list of facilities in the right-hand column it is headlined:

Nine New Jersey state parks that would close under Gov. Jon S. Corzine's proposed budget

The article itself is headlined:

9 state parks likely to close if budget OK'd

But reading it closely what you find is a facilities reduction as Ben noted. I guess in the nine they mentioned they consider them to be "closed" because the facilities will close. And even that, I'm willing to bet, is basically raising the political stakes to put some heat on Trenton. It's like local schoolboards threatening to cut music and athletics before every vote on a property tax or bond issue.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I thought it was just the facilities closing and not access to the parks. It's still a shame if the facilities close, though. Our summer vacation for many years was a 9 or 10 day camping trip at Belleplain. I hate to think of the families like us that planned their summer vacations at state parks having to change, or maybe not go.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
What would it mean to close a state forest like Brendan T. Byrne? Would you still have access to it? After I read the article it seems like the park police would not lose their jobs but park rangers might? Not to bring up ATV's again but it always seems to be a hot button. Would the forest not be patrolled as much? That may lead to an increase in ATV activity in that area.
I understand that Corzine asked for cuts across the board and I guess it is only fair that the DEP has to make cuts as well. It's just ashame it has to happen. Someone in the article stated that this was the first time ever in New Jersey's history that cuts have been made to the parks. If that is true that means it really is that bad out there and/or Corzine is out of bounds when it comes to this.
The state really is in bad shape and something has to be done. Things have to be cut and whenever that happens it affects people.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
I just found out that nothing is final yet, there is a meeting today at 2 p.m. within the DEP to address this issue, remember this is a newpaper article, not a press release from the State or DEP, so nothing is concrete yet, but looks to be heading in this direction.

Also the 6/1/08 date is, from what I heard inaccurate, the proper date would be 7/1/08 when the new fiscal year starts.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
What would it mean to close a state forest like Brendan T. Byrne?

They want to close the Pakim Pond Camping area (no big loss, since you could just go to Atsion or Bass River to rent a cabin, or numerous spots in Wharton to camp without a cabin), the office, and cut back on trail maintenance.

You'd still have access to it -- there's no way they could keep people out considering the large number of roads leading in and out of the place. They may keep the office open as just a HQ for the rangers, or maybe they'd have the rangers work out of Wharton -- who knows.

Would you still have access to it? After I read the article it seems like the park police would not lose their jobs but park rangers might? Not to bring up ATV's again but it always seems to be a hot button. Would the forest not be patrolled as much? That may lead to an increase in ATV activity in that area.

The amount of patrols they do is laughable as it is. I doubt they could/would cut any further.

I understand that Corzine asked for cuts across the board and I guess it is only fair that the DEP has to make cuts as well. It's just ashame it has to happen. Someone in the article stated that this was the first time ever in New Jersey's history that cuts have been made to the parks. If that is true that means it really is that bad out there and/or Corzine is out of bounds when it comes to this.

As much as I loathe Corzine, he's only been in power for a few years. Our current situation has more to do with decades of mismanagement by previous administrators. It doesn't matter if you're a Democrat, a Republican, a Libertarian :dance:, or anybody else. The career politicians in Trenton have just used the treasury to finance their own pet projects, hand out no-show jobs to friends, etc. They all stink, and nobody has ever really done anything to fix the problem.

The best thing I can say about Corzine is that he's trying to fix it, however I don't agree with the way he's going about it.

The state really is in bad shape and something has to be done. Things have to be cut and whenever that happens it affects people.

What has to happen is that people who are so outraged (and read the comments on the articles on the APP article -- people are ENRAGED) need to say enough is enough and run for these offices themselves. If we know that nobody in Trenton is capable of fixing the mess, then we need to get people in that can.

In the end, the people of New Jersey are partly to blame for the mess as well.

omega

Explorer
In the end, the people of New Jersey are partly to blame for the mess as well.

yes they are. I heard a poll yesterday that most New Jerseyans want cuts in spending. The reality is, they want cuts as long as it doesn't affect them.

the executive branch has run amok. Governors and their appointees bring in their pals to fill positions, all fine and dandy until the end of the term. then they don't want their pals to lose their jobs so they find/create/manufacture positions for them after the transition. Each administration does it, so the exec branch gets more and more bloated. they do less with more, while telling everyone else to do more with less.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
According to an opinion piece in the Newark Star Ledger, it sounds as if the parks would be closed to the public. In other words, if you were found in the park you'd be ask to leave. I guess just being in the closed park would be considered illegal; at least according to this columnist's (Paul Mulshine) interpretation.

If this is actually what is planned, it sounds a bit over the top. Especially in the case of Brendan Byrne/Lebanon.

The article -
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/120720092811340.xml&coll=1

An excerpt -

Don't worry, though. The enforcement by park police "won't be Gestapo-like," Jackson told reporters. "They'll just tell you to move on," she said.

That will require a lot of moving. The 36,647-acre Byrne forest is a patch of piney woods indistinguishable from the thousands of other acres of piney woods that surround it. It is laced with hundreds of dirt roads and paths. Most of the perimeter is unmarked for the simple reason that no one knows where the boundary line is.

Trying to close this forest makes about as much sense as trying to close the ocean. The same is true to a lesser degree of the rugged Jenny Jump State Forest in Warren County and even of the relatively small Stephens State Park, also in that county. That park is along the Musconetcong River, which has a path along its bank used by hundreds of people every day. When a reporter asked whether those people would be re quired by law to turn back at the park limits, Jackson said yes.

"If something's closed, you shouldn't be in it," she said.

That sounded crazy to me at the time. And it sounded crazy to my editor, Josh McMahon, as well. So yesterday he demanded I make a followup call to the DEP to confirm the revelations of April 1. I got Elaine Makatura of the DEP press office on the line and asked her the question. "Was this an April Fools' joke?"

Makatura assured me Jackson was serious. "If the public is on a park that is closed, they would be asked to leave," Makatura said.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I really believe this is an up-the-ante play. They're not going to close parks in a state that has been going hog wild for land preservation. If word gets around that this is serious lawmakers will be innundated with angry constituents.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
This is true and it is sad to know that it is an attempt to make the thieves "let up" on the usual heavy dipping that is the typical burden on our State economy. I hope we can have another real revolution and Americans will wake up and rid our selves of the people in power right now.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
I agree. I'm skeptical that they're serious about "closing" these parks. It is likely a stunt. The saddest part of all this is that the state is facing serious problems, and we wind up with this kind of confusing nonsense coming from DEP officials concerning our state parks. Threatening to not allow us to access Byrne or Monmouth Battlefield. It is silly and sad, and seems to be just another diversion from solving the real problems we face.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
According to an opinion piece in the Newark Star Ledger, it sounds as if the parks would be closed to the public. In other words, if you were found in the park you'd be ask to leave. I guess just being in the closed park would be considered illegal; at least according to this columnist's (Paul Mulshine) interpretation.

And Paul Mulshine is who? How does he know you'd be asked to leave?

I agree. I'm skeptical that they're serious about "closing" these parks. It is likely a stunt. The saddest part of all this is that the state is facing serious problems, and we wind up with this kind of confusing nonsense coming from DEP officials concerning our state parks. Threatening to not allow us to access Byrne or Monmouth Battlefield. It is silly and sad, and seems to be just another diversion from solving the real problems we face.

I will give you a $100 bill if you can show me something where the DEP says that you will not be able to access Byrne or Monmouth Battlefield.

You won't be able to go to the visitors center at Monmouth Battlefield, and you won't be able to camp at Byrne. Where do you see that you won't have access to either of those parks? Be specific.