Artifacts

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was sent this by someone who owns this item. It is reported to have been made in a Jersey Furnace.

fireplate photo.ajpg.jpg

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
Right offhand, I'd say it's commemorative to the end of the revolutionary war (1783) by the treaty of Paris where the English agreed to very easy terms for the new country. Probably commissioned by Atsion ironmaster Henry Drinker who had been interned in Virginia for refusing to swear loyalty to the rebelling colonies. The market of course would have been Phildelphia, and why that fireplate never got there is an open question. Considering the motto, in 1782, only a devout Quaker would have come up with it. His second wife's diary might have mention of it if I had a free copy of that historical document. (Don't bother telling me to prove what must be obvious by the dove chomping on an olive branch, and then current affairs in that area then.)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Probably commissioned by Atsion ironmaster Henry Drinker who had been interned in Virginia for refusing to swear loyalty to the rebelling colonies.

What is meant here, are you saying Drinker was interned falsely, or are you saying he had a change of heart and decided to support the cause. Which?

I find it unique that it's not symmetrical.

Are you sure it's a dove, and not a different bird? I can't resolve the plume on the head.

Guy, did the owner say how he came across it? I'd like to show up at the antique roadshow with that.

Last edited:

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
What is meant here, are you saying Drinker was interned falsely, or are you saying he had a change of heart and decided to support the cause. Which?

I find it unique that it's not symmetrical.

Are you sure it's a dove, and not a different bird? I can't resolve the plume on the head.

Guy, did the owner say how he came across it? I'd like to show up at the antique roadshow with that.

He wasn't the only Quaker interned and I recall reading where his wife went to get him when he was released. Henry was a major player in the Quaker community but without trying to date events. I believe Salter managed the iron business because Henry couldn't. Henry was a fascinating figure in history and his will was as strong as the furnace product.

Yeah. It's a dove. Not even Wilson the ornithologist who produced the first bird book could draw very well.

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
I wondered about that bird but thought the branch in its bill must have made it the dove of peace that is symbolic. All I can find about the phoenix is that Quakers reject symbols. I guess that would include doves as well as a Phoenix. But! It does look like images of that imaginary bird. Either a Phoenix building a nest to immolate itself in for a new beginning, or a dove with an olive branch to express peaceful trade with a now open market. All that thinking is in vain when we consider that the patterns for furnace castings were usually done by German wood carvers who visited many furnaces to ply their trade. The guy who actually carved it probably did the same bird, and called it whatever the customer wanted. I’ve read about Virginia furnaces who traded patterns and sold them off sometimes.

I’ll go with the dove of peace and dedicate my choice to John Hinkel my German uncle whose house full of carved furniture went to the highest bidder instead of his deserving nephew. My dog, to your left, thinks it's a dove too. A tasty looking one.

Reactions: ecampbell

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, that symbol of a Phoenix jogged my memory of a forge or furnace I read somewhere named "Phoenix". Sure enough, it's on page 112 of "Early Forges and Furnaces in New Jersey" by Boyer. Over by Lakehurst in the 1820's or so. Perhaps it's relevant to that item.

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Also, from "Place Names of Ocean County New Jersey" (Vivian Zinkin, 1976);

Phoenix Forge: Because the forge, rebuilt shortly after it was destroyed by fire, appeared to rise like the Phoenix from it's ashes.
Other names: Phoenix 1828, Old Union Forge 1839, Phoenix Furnace, 1846.

Reactions: Teegate

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
There is a little-known work titled Artistry and Industry in Cast Iron: Batsto Furnace, 1766–1840 (Giordano, M. M., 2005: MS thesis, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 122 pp.). In my personal library is the ProQuest version (UMI Microfilm 1428756), which by authors request lacks all Figures (pp. 75–118). To see the Figures of firebacks stove-plate patterns you will have to go to the Morris Library in Newark, DE. Maybe this might help.

S-M

Last edited:

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
Also, from "Place Names of Ocean County New Jersey" (Vivian Zinkin, 1976);

Phoenix Forge: Because the forge, rebuilt shortly after it was destroyed by fire, appeared to rise like the Phoenix from it's ashes.
Other names: Phoenix 1828, Old Union Forge 1839, Phoenix Furnace, 1846.

We're both wrong. It's supposed to be a eagle.
The American bald eagle was adopted as the national bird of the United States of America in 1782. That motto and bird are well represented on the internet. If Henry Drinker ( a Quaker) had anything to do with it, it definitely would be "Peace liberty and independence"

Pennsylvania State of Arms and Flag - An olive branch and cornstalk cross limbs beneath—symbols of peace and prosperity. The state motto, "Virtue, Liberty and Independence", appears festooned below. Atop the coat of arms is a bald eagle, representing Pennsylvania's loyalty to the United States. From WIKI

https://www.worldcat.org/title/peace-liberty-and-independence-philadelphia-march-24-1783-his-most-christian-majestys-cutter-the-triumph-commanded-by-the-chevalier-duquesne-arrived-this-morning-in-36-days-from-cadiz-by-her-we-have-the-following-very-agreeable-and-important-intelligence/oclc/55835595

Reactions: imkms and bobpbx

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
I own this item and due to advanced age wanted to gift it to a museum or the DAR, but it seems no one wants it. I have more info on location it was acquired, and it was very near Atsion, and served, because of a defect, as heat for a colliers hut when Henry Drinker was Ironmaster. As historic as it is, it may wind up on Mt Trashmore or the local junkyard when I depart for the here-after. It is fifty pounds of bog iron and would serve well to anchor my coffin when I go. It is still NOT for sale.

Heywood

Jan 7, 2018
Delaware
No. Because I'm in Delaware, and I've had past experience with historical societies who promote a small group of members bent on promoting themselves instead of local history.
Hoped for a legit museum, but will consider them, or others for a gift without strings, rather than have it go to a scrap heap.
Currently unable to travel, and hope to be able to resolve this soon when medical circumstances improve.

Reactions: Boyd

NMuscella

Aug 18, 2023
Southampton NJ
If this was located near Atsion, this has raised my interest. Would anybody know how to get in contact with the owner of this item? I'd like to do more research on it.