Aserdaten....Union Claywork...Tera Cota facotry...

njtrainer34

May 8, 2003
Northern NJ
Had a GREAT time on Saturday with my brother in law....we logged about 150 miles off road!
(report to follow soon!)

I was wondering how to get to Aserdaten and what is there to see.....We tried to get there but I'm not sure we ever did. Can anyone point out a landmark there ot the best way to get there????

I also need directions to the Union Clayworks and the Tera Cota factory.

Thanks all!!!
Howard

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Your best bet would be to grab a Topo map or print out a map from Topozone.com. You'd make a left onto the dirt road right after the Webb's Mill Branch crosses Rt. 539. Follow that straight through to Eureka Gun Club and Aserdaten. There is nothing to see, unfortunately. The gun club has some bits of cement scattered about, but nothing really interesting.

Eureka Gun Club pictures
Aserdaten Pics

To get to Union Clay Works, take the dirt road that leads from where Savoy Blvd crosses the RR tracks at the border of Burlington/Ocean counties. Follow the road down a little bit, and make your first right. You'll eventually see a clearing on your left - there's some bricks and a cellar hole under a dead catalpa tree. That's about all that is left at Union Clay Works. (get a topo map to double check my directions just in case I didn't leave out a turn - I don't remember all that well from memory) I think I actually posted directions in another thread in the forum.

For directions to the Terra Cotta Factory - I assume you mean Brooksbrae Brick Factory. I also posted those directions on here as well. You might just want to do a search for the directions.

mike hummel

Nov 26, 2012
ive been trying to find union clay works ever since I found that pipe that says union clay fired are the ruins even before you get to the first pit

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Mike, there is very little that you would describe as ruins, and some of what there is doesn't date from the time of the clay works. If you look around there is stuff to see, all of which will be more meaningful if you read up on the history.