Atco Powerline ROW

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Just drove down Jackson Rd and noticed the power line ROW is fenced and gated, but only across the street from the track where the large puddle is, not on the track side. I wonder how this will impact the "legal" roads that cross it, such as Old Atsion Rd. Sorry, didn't get pics

Something like this, white is the fence and red is the gate:

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They had some complaints from the residents back there so I guess they made the move. Should be interesting to see where else they put one.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
They had some complaints from the residents back there so I guess they made the move. Should be interesting to see where else they put one.

I would guess the other end here and then maybe it picks back uo until it reaches past all that residential area

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
If you can make it through the usual hole at Waverly ave (never knew it had a name) you can just bypass the fence...

Is Old Atsion Road passable all the way to, and beyond, the Mullica? Is there a bridge over the river? I camp frequently at Goshen Pond and have tried a few different ways in there from Jackson rd and normally just end up faced with a big watery hole of unknown depth. The one road that enters the woods to the south, just east of the Jackson road wooden bridge, starts out looking promising but there's a giant puddle, with no clearance to go-around. Raritan ave, the old RR grade, is really sandy, and also badly rutted. Is there any good shortcut, coming from the west?

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp

Wonder if the same "residents" complain about everything else too. Also wonder why they don't complain about the shooting range or the track? I'm not opposed to the ROW closure, our vehicles should not be on there anyway, it technically belongs to the power company via an easement I believe? Maybe redneck knows the legality?

Last edited:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
If you can make it through the usual hole at Waverly ave (never knew it had a name) you can just bypass the fence...

Is Old Atsion Road passable all the way to, and beyond, the Mullica? Is there a bridge over the river? I camp frequently at Goshen Pond and have tried a few different ways in there from Jackson rd and normally just end up faced with a big watery hole of unknown depth. The one road that enters the woods to the south, just east of the Jackson road wooden bridge, starts out looking promising but there's a giant puddle, with no clearance to go-around. Raritan ave, the old RR grade, is really sandy, and also badly rutted. Is there any good shortcut, coming from the west?

Old Atsion is passable at times, the others used to be but I haven't been on them in a while

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco

I did not know it had a name either. And i think it is gated at the beginning too. Maybe Broke Jeep joe can clarify that.

Last edited:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
OK all, I went back this morning and took some pics. There is no signage from the power company or township at this time. Also, the ROW is open at Old Atsion Rd, not sure if they plan on coming back to gate that end? If so, it may be pointless as Waverly Ave is not gated nor is Old Atsion. On the positive side, Old Atsion has had some repair work done since the last time I was on it, so to answer Zack's question partially, where Old Atsion crossed the ROW it is nicely repaired. I didn't venture down as I was short on time but I may this weekend. Here are the pics:

Attachments

• Fence.jpg
    Fence.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Gate ROW.jpg
    Gate ROW.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Old Atsion 1.jpg
    Old Atsion 1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 224
  • ROW looking toward Waterford.jpg
    ROW looking toward Waterford.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 267
  • ROW looking at Jackson from OAR.jpg
    ROW looking at Jackson from OAR.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Waverly from Old Atsion.jpg
    Waverly from Old Atsion.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Waverly from Track entrance.jpg
    Waverly from Track entrance.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 272
  • Waverly toward Waterford.jpg
    Waverly toward Waterford.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp

When you say "they" received complaints and "they" made a move, who are "they" can you elaborate Guy? Could you tell us how you know of the complaints? If not I understand.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am going back a couple of years to the MAP fiasco when we were all going to the meetings. There was a mention of complaints by the residents in that area of the actions going on there. Noise at nights especially.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I am going back a couple of years to the MAP fiasco when we were all going to the meetings. There was a mention of complaints by the residents in that area of the actions going on there. Noise at nights especially.
I remember that at the Waterford Twp meeting also since you mention it, now it makes me wonder who exactly gated the area since there is no signage. Thanks for the clarification!

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
As I recall there is a small wooden bridge at some point with a crossroad immediately after. The left after the bridge will bring you out to Atsion Rd (paved) down from the monks and gun club along side of a house. The right I cant recall where that takes you. A little further after the bridge there is a pipe that was replaced poorly, that is where it is dicey at times. I haven't been on Old Atsion all the way through in a few years though, maybe someone else on here has and can answer better Zach, sorry. I can tell you if you do make it over the bridge and past the pipe, you can go right into Goshen Pond camping area

Wildland937

Scout
Aug 24, 2016
New Germany
Not to be a devil's advocate, but why is this even an issue? The power co ROW is just that and is private property. If they choose to gate and fence it off the who cares? As long as the roads remain open such ar Old Atsion, Raritan, and Maple Island there is no issue...
People want to complain about ever little thing in Wharton that doesn't pertain to them when its private property. If you go over into the Winslow WMA just about every powerline road has fenced and gated for the past 3 years and noone has said a word.
JMO though, some thing just arent worth worrying about when it's not public land.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Did a little exploring this morning in the area and came upon these weird ditches perpendicular to the road where it looks like dirt had been removed, maybe to repair the road surface? Located approximately here https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.7766837179788&lng=-74.78932902628245&z=19&type=nj2015&gpx=.

ditch.jpg

20190811_071019.jpg

Also went to this crossroad here https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.764893574969406&lng=-74.79343767662237&z=17&type=nj2015&gpx= turned left to head for the bridge i asked about, but the road ahead was very sandy and rutted and i just didn't feel like getting stuck so i turned back. I will try another day when I have a shovel with me.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Not to be a devil's advocate, but why is this even an issue? The power co ROW is just that and is private property. If they choose to gate and fence it off the who cares? As long as the roads remain open such ar Old Atsion, Raritan, and Maple Island there is no issue...
People want to complain about ever little thing in Wharton that doesn't pertain to them when its private property. If you go over into the Winslow WMA just about every powerline road has fenced and gated for the past 3 years and noone has said a word.
JMO though, some thing just arent worth worrying about when it's not public land.
As I said, I am not opposed to the closure for the same reasons you cited. Its the lack of signage that gets me. Also can you say for sure all that is blocked is not public? I cant either:) In my opinion with recent developments such as the MAP and West Mill Rd along with other threats of closure, every"gate and fence" should be looked at with way more that a who cares type of attitude.

Last edited:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Did a little exploring this morning in the area and came upon these weird ditches perpendicular to the road where it looks like dirt had been removed, maybe to repair the road surface? Located approximately here https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.7766837179788&lng=-74.78932902628245&z=19&type=nj2015&gpx=.

View attachment 12274

View attachment 12273

Also went to this crossroad here https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.764893574969406&lng=-74.79343767662237&z=17&type=nj2015&gpx= turned left to head for the bridge i asked about, but the road ahead was very sandy and rutted and i just didn't feel like getting stuck so i turned back. I will try another day when I have a shovel with me.
I believe those are for drainage, they did something similar a while back on Glossy Spung and Tuckerton

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

As Joe mentioned, we must be suspicious of anything that goes on concerning blocked roads. Once we find the official reason then maybe we don't have to worry. When you say it is private property, we must all keep in mind it was our property and maybe still is. However, they have an easement and if they want to block it that is their business. The reason the lines follow the edges of Wharton is the way it was planned. They wanted to go straight across and were rejected by those in charge back then.

Last edited: