Atsion Meadow Again

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Finally a nice day to stone search so we returned to the Atsion Meadow area to find a few I have not looked for. This was buried almost 6 inches so we had a tough time finding it. It has been there for at least 137 years.

IMG_2414.JPG

Next was in a swamp which is usually a waste of time. This swamp was obviously cut in the past as we could see the corner where the cedars met the clear cut area. I pretty much wrote this one off until I noticed something in the distance.

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

It was most likely not there 137 years ago and was placed at a later date. The map pretty much tells us that.

IMG_2164a.jpg

And Jessica found a shed that looks like the mice have been eating. She also fell in and had to walk back to the car soaked :)

IMG_2424.JPG

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
With another nice day we again traveled to the same area and we were pretty much uncertain what we would find. I knew the property owner in 1878 was an Albert Haines, but had no information on the adjacent property owner. The briers and a cedar swamp with many downed tress made the adventure quite a struggle. Eventually we made it to the first location in the cedar swamp and found nothing. Quite a disappointment after the long hike. Reluctantly I moved on to the next location only 100 feet away. As the GPS counted down to zero we came upon this stone with the letter H incised in it. I was completely surprised by this.

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

haines.jpg

There are quite a few more location to look at so maybe soon I will find more H stones.

Guy

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I was just wondering what it must have been like to haul these stones to their present locations. I'm sure there were mules or horses involved. Do you think that these areas may have been clear cut when they were set? I've read that at times, you could see for a very long ways in the Pines due to the clear cutting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think we can be pretty confident that area was clear cut. I believe hay was grown in much of this area which was cut and placed on watercraft at "hay landing" and floated down to Atsion. I am sure Atsion had plenty of horses in use. And the meadows there behind Atco Dragway were almost certainly used to some major degree for something, and I suspect that Piney Island that we visited on the PBX hike was the center of operations for this. There was absolutely buildings there as my map shows and the evidence there also shows, and Lost Town Hunter has confirmed that he has heard that.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I decided to make an early and very fast stone search today before daylight savings time soon pushes back the sunrise an hour in a couple of weeks.

Jackson Road and 73 on my way to Atsion Meadows.

IMG_2453.JPG

Sunrise on the back side of Taylor's Mountain on my way back to the car. I had one more location to look.

IMG_2458.JPG

I guess it was easy to find a large stone when your property corner is on Taylor's Stone Mountain.

IMG_2459.JPG

Stopped to rest and eat a power bar and saw this.

IMG_2454.JPG

As I mentioned above I wanted to see how fast I could do this just to see the time it would take for me to get there and back. I left the house a few minutes before 6AM and was home by 9:40AM. Thirteen mile drive there, 2 miles of bushwhacking and a 13 mile drive home.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/02282016/route.jpg

Guy