Atsion questions

T

TabernacleNative

I was out exploring Atsion today and noticed a couple of things. As you approach the Cotton Mill, just past the old cabin, on the left side of the road is a long foundation - maybe 30 or 40 feet. Its hard to see from the road, but from in the woods, its really clear. I see in old photos of the Mill that a blacksmith's shop was on that side, but looks closer to the Mill. My old Atsion book lists a "small slab-sheathed building" around that area. Is this the remains of the blacksmith shop? I also found some green slag in the woods. I've seen the rust colored, and the big black slag balls behind the Mill, but I've never seen green slag? And finally, I know I read somewhere that there was a manager's house across from the old school on Quaker Bridge Rd. I think I found a well hole over there (it was pretty overgrown) - is this where the house might have been?

It was such a nice day, it was great to just get out and explore through the woods to find things. I was out at Hampton on Thanksgiving Day, but I was mauled by little flies over by the old furnace site.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Slag color comes from the process used to melt the ore (either cold blast or hot blast), the makeup of the ore itself, and how much iron is left over.

For example, Martha was a hot blast furnace. A lot of the slag there is glass-like. Hanover Furnace was cold blast. The slag there is more iron-like, with bits of charcoal and wood mixed in.

The hot blast method was employed fairly late. I know that Martha was hot blast, and Batsto was rebuilt as hot blast.

T

TabernacleNative

That could explain some... I was looking at the slag and thinking how it had an almost ceramic like sheen to it. Thanks for the info so far.

PineyPaul

Feb 25, 2008
Correction The small Sheathed house was not the remains of the blacksmith shop. I known where it stud. It stud between the small sheathed house and creek . I am not good telling were it stud, but I could show were it Stud.