Atsion schoolhouse and some cats!

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
We apparently went where we weren't supposed to go. We looked around the old school at Atsion, then spotted a burnt-out old house nearby and investigated. It has a 1930s electric stove in the middle, cool! Then into the area where a ca. 1963 Ford Rambler station wagon sits and rots. That was worth a look around. Then we wandered a little too far and into the yard right behind the Gloucester gun club. There's an old falling-down house there that is apparently home to a colony of cats. We approached the enclosure, as the cats are fenced in, before we realized that this was someone's house. Things like the outhouse appeared to be in ok shape and there is a gazebo that someone apparently uses. We didn't open doors or touch anything.
I know I am being really nosy, but who knows about this place? Does someone live there with the cats? They looked well-fed and taken care of. It was just an odd sight and not what we expected! When I came to the realization that this was someone's property, the hair on the back of my neck stood up and we got the heck out of there.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
:v: Oh. Sorry. I am *so* not a car person.

It was a Rambler, cause that's what it says on the steel dashboard. From the photos that I came up with in Google, it looks like I have the year pretty much right on the nose. How did I do that? I guess it's cause I'm a 1963 model myself. :dance:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah, Barbara Stull (of the Ghost Towns and Quirky Places fame) was helping to care for those feral cats for the person who owns the house at Atsion.

There was all sorts of drama over those cats.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is private property so I would stay clear of it.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
No problem. Like I said, when I realized what it was, I got the heck outta dodge.
I'm probably putting my nose in where people just don't want it, so I have no intention of digging further! I just thought it was an interesting spot right there in the middle (or, rather, on the edge) of state forest.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It was a Rambler, cause that's what it says on the steel dashboard.

Those old Ramblers held up pretty well. My grandmother bought a 1965 Rambler new, and continued to drive it until she died in 2002 (at the age of 97)! I think it had all of about 20,000 miles on it then... it was literally a car which a little old lady only used to drive to church on Sunday! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are 4 lots the state does not own in that area. The first one is the church lot obviously, which is .8375 acres. The second one is the Gloucester Gun club which is right along Quaker Bridge road and is .3397 acres. The third lot directly behind the gun club is called the Caviller Lot and is .3570 acres. And the 4th and final lot is called the Giberson Lot and is .1722 acres. They are all still in private hands as far as I know.

There actually is a very small lot called the Hugh J. Phillips lot on the other side of the river directly across from where the Atsion train station was, and borders what was the intersection where the track turned off to go to Atco. I would assume the state now owns this property, but I have no proof of that. If you have “The Trail of the Blue Comet”, turn to page 261 and you can see the trees that are on that lot in the left in the photo.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Thanks, Guy, I appreciate the info!

I try not to be nosy, I really do. But you all know how it is, finding cool stuff in the woods. :)

It was such a great day to be out Saturday, it was sunny and snowy all at the same time, and despite the cold, it is very apparent that the pines are waking up after a winter's nap. We saw many other things we hadn't come across before, and generally just had the best day.

PineyPaul

Feb 25, 2008
Ya stay away . It is private property You will get bullets in your butt. That is a warning !
My uncle owns the property. This is the Kid people saw walking down 206. If you want to known anything about Atsion. My family lived in Atsion. The name was Crain

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
Ya stay away . It is private property You will get bullets in your butt. That is a warning !
My uncle owns the property. This is the Kid people saw walking down 206. If you want to known anything about Atsion. My family lived in Atsion. The name was Crain

having been one myself (in the past), don't you just love these newbies that come on here and act all tough. :cry: w/ blank profiles mind you. last time i checked, TX was the only state where you could shoot someone for trespassing..

moving on.......... the Gloucester gun club.. is that up a sand road, off of QB road ? the sand road is on the left of QB road, if you're heading twd the batsto river.. i stumbled upon this area a few yrs ago while out riding.. it was a pleasure ride, but i was a little spooked..

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
having been one myself (in the past), don't you just love these newbies that come on here and act all tough. :cry: w/ blank profiles mind you. last time i checked, TX was the only state where you could shoot someone for trespassing..

moving on.......... the Gloucester gun club.. is that up a sand road, off of QB road ? the sand road is on the left of QB road, if you're heading twd the batsto river.. i stumbled upon this area a few yrs ago while out riding.. it was a pleasure ride, but i was a little spooked..

I'm glad you said it, because I was thinking the same thing. It ain't 1930, youngster, and I doubt your uncle is going to shoot anybody.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

You are thinking of the Sewell Gun Club shooting range.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.738922,-74.705080&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

The Gloucester Gun Club is the building right along Quaker Bridge Road just past the mansion and directly across from the church.

Guy

PineyPaul

Feb 25, 2008
I will try my best. I can tell people a lot of things about Atsion. My family lived thare all there lives the family names is the Crains. My grandmother told me a lot of stories about Atsion back in the days when she was a Kid.In my grandmothers younger years people lived in Atsion. I really do not want get people upset on this forum. I will tell it the way is. That
is the Piney in me