Atsion To Boot Hill

Jerseyman,

Where did you find that map? It is very unusual to find a map showing property ownership and the HSWT would love to have a copy with permission to reproduce it. Do you have access to similar maps for Winslow Township?

Jack Jennings

Jack:

You can thank RednekF350 for bringing this thread back to the surface. I had totally missed your recent added postings to this old thread.

If your interest is Winslow Township, cadastral maps for that locality extend back in time to 1850, when R. Pearsall Smith published a regional map depicting a portion of the area around Philadelphia and extending well into New Jersey. Barnes & Van Derveer published a cadastral map of Camden County in 1857, followed by the Lake and Beers map of Philadelphia & Vicinity in 1860. The so-called Walker School District Map of Camden County, published in 1877, is also cadastral in nature. The detail of the map shown above is from circa 1935, when the Franklin Survey Company published a cadastral map of portions of Gloucester, Camden, and Burlington counties. There are also manuscript maps available for Winslow Township, including ones prepared by John Clement, the best collection of Camden County surveys from the nineteenth century. I also have a copy of a map of Winslow Township that New Jersey State Highway Department surveyor Harry Marvin annotated back in the 1930s. Harry often worked with Charles Boyer on subjects like old roads, etc. I am sure other surveys and manuscript maps exist for Winslow Township, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind without madly ripping through my flat files looking for additional examples.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

I believe he is talking about the Miller's Bogs that are the subject discussed in most of this thread and shown on Jerseyman's map. They are the Miller's Bogs in the woods across the street from my house. They are in Winslow Township.
However, he starts by talking about a Hammonton News article from '82 that might be referring to the bogs near Dutchtown and Rockwood

With two Millers Bogs that close to each other it can be confusing. Maybe not so confusing if I had looked all of the posts over more closely.

Guy

jejennings

Dec 4, 2009
Sicklerville, NJ
Jack:

You can thank RednekF350 for bringing this thread back to the surface. I had totally missed your recent added postings to this old thread.

If your interest is Winslow Township, cadastral maps for that locality extend back in time to 1850, when R. Pearsall Smith published a regional map depicting a portion of the area around Philadelphia and extending well into New Jersey. Barnes & Van Derveer published a cadastral map of Camden County in 1857, followed by the Lake and Beers map of Philadelphia & Vicinity in 1860. The so-called Walker School District Map of Camden County, published in 1877, is also cadastral in nature. The detail of the map shown above is from circa 1935, when the Franklin Survey Company published a cadastral map of portions of Gloucester, Camden, and Burlington counties. There are also manuscript maps available for Winslow Township, including ones prepared by John Clement, the best collection of Camden County surveys from the nineteenth century. I also have a copy of a map of Winslow Township that New Jersey State Highway Department surveyor Harry Marvin annotated back in the 1930s. Harry often worked with Charles Boyer on subjects like old roads, etc. I am sure other surveys and manuscript maps exist for Winslow Township, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind without madly ripping through my flat files looking for additional examples.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman,

Forgive me for my last post. I didn't got down far enough on the thread to see that you had replied to my previous post. Thank you for returning "cadastral" to my working vocabulary. It was lost through lack of use decades ago! Where can I find actual copies (or better yet, hi-res scans). I haven't seen any in the Rutgers Map Collection. The HSWT would like to have copies or access to this kind of information.

The reason I'm back on this scent is that we have scheduled the granddaughter of Mary Miller to talk to our small group about growing up in Miller's Bogs at our May meeting and I am gathering some "AV Aids" for that occasion. BTW I have a picture of the Miller family with reproduction rights that I could post, but think it should better be placed in the old "Miller's Bog" thread rather than here, along with an invite to the presentation. What do you think?.

jejennings

Dec 4, 2009
Sicklerville, NJ
The Hammonton New article was definitely about the Bogs in Winslow Township. I've found J.G.Wilson's writing to be rather accurate. He locates them thusly, "Millers Bogs on Albertson's Stream between Ancora and Pestletown on a North-South line of reference and between Hammonton and Waterford on an east-west line. These are the one's in RedneckF350's pictures, correct?

Jack

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The Hammonton New article was definitely about the Bogs in Winslow Township. I've found J.G.Wilson's writing to be rather accurate. He locates them thusly, "Millers Bogs on Albertson's Stream between Ancora and Pestletown on a North-South line of reference and between Hammonton and Waterford on an east-west line. These are the one's in RedneckF350's pictures, correct?

Jack
Absolutely, that is the place described in accurate detail.
I will be sending you an email regarding the use of my photos.
Scott

jejennings

Dec 4, 2009
Sicklerville, NJ
I will attempt to upload a 1982 article about Millers Bogs. It didn't work... I got an error message:
image.tiff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Jack, the photo is amazing !

I have spent my 29 years here in Pestletown hunting, fishing and trapping the bogs and the lands adjoining them. Now I have faces to go with the foundations and the nearly invisible remnants of their the man-made landscape around the homestead .
I was back there tonight looking at their homestead foundation while the dogs got a drink in the Albertson.

Thanks for posting this and I know everyone here is going to appreciate the Hammonton News article as well. The plantings of the catalpa trees mentioned in the article are evident everywhere and I note in the picture there is a catalpa leaf visible in the left background.
I plan to photograph the catalpa blossoms this year at Miller's and I will post

Scott

jejennings

Dec 4, 2009
Sicklerville, NJ
Here's another try at uploading the Millers bog article, which I took apart and reduced in size. Bye Golly Gee, I think it worked.!!!

Attachments

• Millers Bog article small.pdf
    383.3 KB · Views: 508

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice photo's and article. Thank you for posting them!

Mr. Wilson also wrote many great articles for the Batsto Citizens Gazette.

Guy

jejennings

Dec 4, 2009
Sicklerville, NJ
Jack:

Best regards,
Jerseyman

The only map for those you have noted that I have is a scan of teh 1860 Beers map, which shows my great grandfather's property in Sicklerville but does not show the lower end of Winslow Township. Other than in your personal collection, where can I find these maps. I'm sure you are aware the it was John Clement who suggested that members of the Surveyors Association of West Jersey each record the histories of their areas. Several did, including John F. Bodine, who wrote the "History of Squankum". I just gave a copy of this to the Monroe Township HS along with a file containing the Hexamer survey of the Williamstown Glass Works that they had printed out for display. It was John F. who single-handedly fought to get Monroe Township put back into Gloucester County after it was first part of Camden County when Camden County was split off.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A very interesting woman has passed.
Rosemary Mauriello was a granddaughter of two of the Millers who gave Miller's Bogs here in Pestletown its namesake. In the photo link above her grandmother and grandfather are Mary and John Miller. (Silhouettes 10 and 11 in the photo key)
She actually lived in a house on the banks of the bogs, the foundation of which still exists today.

I attended the oral history presentation that the Winslow Historical Society arranged with her in 2012 and it was amazing to hear her vivid accounts of living in these woods without electricity and really toughing it out as a kid.

Their home eventually became the Rosedale Deer Club. Rosedale later sold to the State and moved out to Pestletown Road where they are today.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/co...n=rosemary-mauriello&pid=180455505&fhid=12518

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
A very interesting woman has passed.
Rosemary Mauriello was a granddaughter of two of the Millers who gave Miller's Bogs here in Pestletown its namesake. In the photo link above her grandmother and grandfather are Mary and John Miller. (Silhouettes 10 and 11 in the photo key)
She actually lived in a house on the banks of the bogs, the foundation of which still exists today.

I attended the oral history presentation that the Winslow Historical Society arranged with her in 2012 and it was amazing to hear her vivid accounts of living in these woods without electricity and really toughing it out as a kid.

Their home eventually became the Rosedale Deer Club. Rosedale later sold to the State and moved out to Pestletown Road where they are today.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/co...n=rosemary-mauriello&pid=180455505&fhid=12518
I have been trying to find out what was back there thanks for sharing the information

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Hi Scott

That picture is Dave Amoto's old home stead.Shame his family in Hammonton did not take care of Dave's place after he passed on.

Point of interest.:Years ago Dave's home needed a coat of paint.A group of Enduro Riders,and their families showed up and made Dave's place look like new.After which we had a cook out thanks to our ladies.Dave loved kids and he would always tell us to bring down the kids and turn them loose in his blueberry's in front of his home.

Dave was also an Army Veteran of World War-I

Dave was a true Piney