ATV/ORV Damage at Pump Station

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
A friend of mine and I gave another friend's son a tour of some sites on Saturday. Our last stop on a generally eastward progression was the pumping station north of Martha. I was last here perhaps 3 months ago. On this visit I noted that the spit of land adjoining the inlet behind the pump (now a cove/wetland off the river as most of you know) had changed somewhat:

A bit of a closer shot:

Looking back up toward the pump:

Some of the tracks were clearly small ATVs, but as you can see from the first image there were some full-size vehicles down there too.

I know that after seeing tons of litter reappear in the woods every year after the cleanup, and seeing other bogs and pleasant places turned into mudholes by these over-testosteroned fools, I shouldn't be disappointed. But I still am.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I know that after seeing tons of litter reappear in the woods every year after the cleanup, and seeing other bogs and pleasant places turned into mudholes by these over-testosteroned fools, I shouldn't be disappointed. But I still am.

I don't blame you, I'm disappointed also.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was there a million times years ago and never even thought of doing that. They don't even have a fear of getting caught.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Who would want to ride in a park when they can ride in a 100,000 acre forest? I know when I was riding it would have been no contest. But then, when I was riding we didn't get our thrills from digging mudholes.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Who would want to ride in a park when they can ride in a 100,000 acre forest? I know when I was riding it would have been no contest. But then, when I was riding we didn't get our thrills from digging mudholes.

Generally the park would have more challenging terrain and be a safer place to ride. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about getting caught.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Still people don't get tag numbers because they "don't want to get involved". But then again, even if they did turn in the numbers...who would care and put in the effort to prosecute these people. Years ago it was locals who did most of the damage, but today I hear of people coming from NY and other states. Wow! Stay in your own state and tear it up. We don't need it or you here.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Still people don't get tag numbers because they "don't want to get involved". But then again, even if they did turn in the numbers...who would care and put in the effort to prosecute these people. Years ago it was locals who did most of the damage, but today I hear of people coming from NY and other states. Wow! Stay in your own state and tear it up. We don't need it or you here.

I see vehicles from New York quite frequently, some with empty trailers parked at Atsion and other places. If you search YouTube you can find videos of people from New York and Pennsy who came to the barrens to go "wheelin'".

Ben, I agree that the risk of getting caught is the primary deterrant, but I'm guessing it must be pretty low.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Its amazing what some consider fun. Those pictures remind me of the situation in the Adirondacks, I used to have a place up there. Various groups got on the states case and things got better, not fixed, but better. I remember seeing flatbeds of ATV's parked back behing Greenwood years ago, haven't seen them since. Its pretty difficult to get a tag # when they are covered in mud, impossible for an ATV or 'cycle, most don't have any. A big shortsighted mis-step was not extending the lease on the ORV park, at least until a permanent solution could be worked out. Makes you wonder....