ATV park plan in for bumpy ride

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Goods points both gentlemen.
Dealers looking for big volume sales is a huge part of the problem.
I consider them irresponsible.
As far as getting caught, yes it is just about impossible.
I use these measures, avoid when you can,
I too have stopped countless times & was fortunate.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is not impossible for them to catch you, since I saw them using a helicopter just off of 72 chasing someone. You are taking a risk with loosing your vehicle. I would not take it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
LARGO said:
"Just about"
Nothing is completely impossible.
Those weren't black helicopters were they?

No..it looked like a state police helicopter. I read the next day in the paper they had been catching unregistered vehicle in that area, and the Forked River Mountain area. I think we have some previous post on this.

Guy

Dodge-Tech

Oct 25, 2005
You'll find that members of every Enduro club that holds enduros in the state forests are very respectable and not destructive. All bikes are registered and insured and have lights. They must be legal to operate on any public road. Most clubs perform many hours of volunteer work in the forests, helping to perform cleanups, construct handicapped trails, maintenance, etc.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Actually Guy, I'm totally legal. I'm not taking any chances. I'm registered, insured and I even have a passed inspection sticker on my bike. I'm street legal after having made certain modifications to my bike. However, we all know that if a ranger or some other law enforcer feels like it, they can ticket or impound you for driving through a puddle, going over 35mph or pulling off the road. Those jeep trails are off limits also if the law maker, I mean enforcer, decides it is. I think it is illegal to ride a motorcycle and chew gum also but I'm not sure. It is that kind of mentality that makes me nervous even though I am a law abiding citizen with a perfect driving record.

If they are using helicopters to catch motorcyclists they really have to get their priorities straight.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Sorry about that last post. I get a little heated on the topic sometimes. All vehicles should be registered I certainly don't have a problem with that at all. It is a good idea and should be enforced. The irresponsible riders are the worst enemy of the responsible ones. It is their fault I have to "watch my step". Dodge-tech is right about the enduro clubs. I know some of those guys and they are very curtious and respectful of the pines. I have been urged to join some of the clubs but it is just one of those things I never got around to.

Still, helicopters are bit much. I know Pemberton twp police have an enduro, I also know that the maintenance crew in Lebanon have a few enduros; I met them one time and they explained that they use them to access remote trails for maintenance purposes.

Jeff

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I don't own an ATV or quad (although Quads are very fun) but the thing that worries me is this:

We've already seen vehicles banned off trails --

When do we see Jeeps and other 4WD vehicles banned out of the pines? You know for sure that there are plenty of groups out there that would love to see something like that happen ("Look at all the damage that Jeep did by pulling off to the side of the road"). I just see it as a natural progression. There actually is a state senator from North Jersey that wants to ban motorized vehicles from State Forests.

I lobbied very, very hard when the new ATV rule passed 3? years ago. I did not even get so much as a form letter back from my representative or Brad Campbell.

Frankly the DEP's end of the bargain (get 2-3 new parks up by 2005) wasn't kept so the law should be repealed. It's not fair to riders that they should have to wait until the state can find land before they ride again. And honestly, this law only punishes law abiding riders. Those who ride unregistered/uninsured would not have access to these parks, and likely would continue to ride wherever they feel like.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
Frankly the DEP's end of the bargain (get 2-3 new parks up by 2005) wasn't kept so the law should be repealed. It's not fair to riders that they should have to wait until the state can find land before they ride again. And honestly, this law only punishes law abiding riders. Those who ride unregistered/uninsured would not have access to these parks, and likely would continue to ride wherever they feel like.

Looks to me like home rule is thwarting the DEP's aim to put the parks in. Its not all their fault. I would'nt want one within a mile of my house either. Can you just imagine how pleasant your weekends would be?

BRAAAAAAAP!................BRAAAAAAAP! Hey, look at that dust cloud!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
TeeGate said:
No..it looked like a state police helicopter. I read the next day in the paper they had been catching unregistered vehicle in that area, and the Forked River Mountain area. I think we have some previous post on this.

Guy
Sorry, trying to inject levity into a hot topic. When I read the article
this weekend the same old stuff occured to me.You may... see the parks.
There can even be mandatory registration, but you really are not going
changes on the front of ATV access to the woods.And take seriously the
notion of banning all offroad vehicles. It can happen.
More tickets, more revenue. No disrepect, but sanctioned rides even when
driven responsibly is a lot of bikes ripping around at once. It does do some
damage. There is an Enduro ride that goes right behind my house. That
also gives credence to the "do I want a park near me" concept.
As far as ATV parks, not much better than pit riding. Too many people
in one arena equals increased possibilty of accidents.
I don't like pit riding or racing, I like trail riding ( Oops, did I say that )
Even I seem to argue my own points on both sides. ( what a hipocrit )
On the record I do not endorse illegal riding. And when you run you
endanger yourself & the pursuing party.

Any one familiar with this:
WWW.ATLANTICGRANDPRIX.COM
I believe the meetings are in Scranton. There is a push for sanction
N.J. riding. Last weekend they had one in Eagleswood by where rt.9
& rte. 72 meet. Muddy I hear. A member keeps trying to recruit me.
They have race class, utility class all on the same track ??
They have poker runs etc.
Supposedly lobbying with the N.J. RACING COUNCIL.
There is a push for 12 sanctioned events near a certain very well
known military installation.
There is one on schedule for Dec. 17th & 18th.
I am somewhat wary of this type of thing because there is a feeling
of resentment towards the "nature nuts"
If I am speeking wrong on this feel free to let me know.
I don't go for that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Atco Raceway did't keep developers from building and people from moving in.

Unfortunately, they had problems when the homes in the area were built. As soon as some of those people moved in the complaints started, and there was some sort of shut down hour either agreed upon or enforced on them.

People are nuts! They move in next to a raceway and complain about the noise.

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
As for Atco Raceway they have to be done racing at 11:30 PM, if not they are fined for each minute they go over. On Sundays they are allowed to go I think 8:00 PM. Atco Raceway was built in 1960 and their first race was Memorial Day 1960. It was also the first dragstrip in New Jersey. I know some of the people will wait to 11:30 and if they hear one sound they call the police. Englishtown Raceway Park I believe has an earlier shut down time. NJ tried to pass a law last year saying that all racetracks had to be closed by 10:00 (something like that) but it was defeated.
Some other things about Atco is that they are not allowed to add any new buildings to the area because of the Pinelands. That is why Atco hasn't really changed much over the years. They actually fly planes overhead and take pictures to make sure nothing was altered. Its ashame b/c Atco could expand, not land wise, but business wise if they were allowed to modernize their facility.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
BobM said:
I wonder where that is. They seem to be hiding the location.

That is one of my my points.Even this fellow who talks this up to me
Doesn't give me all the details.That's why I asked if anyone new about it.
It's not drama, I just think it's wierd.An ATV park is controversial enough.
These rides almost seem to me like motorized "raves"
And the fellow always uses the terms, those tree lovers or nature buffs,
bla-bla ( Talking that crap to the wrong guy )
One of the events is supposed to have ** miles of untouched trails ??
How is that so ??
Maybe I'm misunderstandig but it seems like pushing the system.
Not a positive way to endorse riding or Parks for same.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
According to their web page "about us" section, they utilize farm fields between crop rotations, old gravel pits and ski resorts in the off-seasons.
No state lands, accorrding to them.
They appear to have a good handle on the number of unregistered quads and dirtbikes in N.J.
It also looks like they have substantial backing and participation from the dealers and manufacturers which is helpful.
I am going to follow thier efforts for awhile.
At this point, they are the only lobbyist in town.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Guess I'll get informed as it goes, I was asked to the next meeting
( don't feel like making the drive )
Or to any events
( don't like that many people )
Would you consider them a "positive" lobbyist ?
And do their efforts further or hinder promoting "ATV parks"

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Positive or negitive will depend on how they conduct themselves during the events, and of course, how organized they are in planning the events. This one individual you have been in contact with seems not to be so conservation minded, but he might represent the minority within the organization. I think Scott has the right idea: to track their activities for a bit and see what they are about.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I hope they are a positive influence , they do seem to encourage
family riding which is cool.
But yeah this guy doesn't really care if he treads on a plant or
a snake. Not cool.... I hope he is the minority, guess we'll see.