ATV rider shot in North Jersey!

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I read about this on another forum and I forget which newspaper it was out of but a ranger shot an ATV rider the other day. It took place up north in Ringwood State Forest. I don't know all the details, so I'll try to find out more. Another round of Ranger vs. ATV.

Trailhead00 said:
I read about this on another forum and I forget which newspaper it was out of but a ranger shot an ATV rider the other day. It took place up north in Ringwood State Forest. I don't know all the details, so I'll try to find out more. Another round of Ranger vs. ATV.

He'll have to get some serious wall anchors to hang that trophy on the wall.

Steve

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I heard that the person shot was one of the "Jackson Whites" from the Ramampo Mountains. Weird NJ did a write-up about them, but the history of these people is extremely interesting. They go back to the early days of this country and are a mix of American Indian, African American, and other various former minorities that were trying to escape oppression in this remote location. These people are of direct descent to the original inhabitants and are considered American Indian in most cases. There are towns there that probably resemble some of the lost Pine villages just before they were completely abandoned. Hope the ranger had good reason to shoot someone for riding an ATV. He may have threatened the officer since ATV riding is not something that someone should typically get shot for.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
jokerman said:
I heard that the person shot was one of the "Jackson Whites" from the Ramampo Mountains. Weird NJ did a write-up about them, but the history of these people is extremely interesting. They go back to the early days of this country and are a mix of American Indian, African American, and other various former minorities that were trying to escape oppression in this remote location. These people are of direct descent to the original inhabitants and are considered American Indian in most cases. There are towns there that probably resemble some of the lost Pine villages just before they were completely abandoned.

There are a few books on this bunch. Alot of their surnames are Dutch [Mann would be] reflecting the Pre-English settlement of the area. Some of the inhabitants were felt to be escaped slaves of the dutch farmers. They are distrustful of outsiders.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
wis bang said:
There are a few books on this bunch. Alot of their surnames are Dutch [Mann would be] reflecting the Pre-English settlement of the area. Some of the inhabitants were felt to be escaped slaves of the dutch farmers. They are distrustful of outsiders.

I actually worked with one of these guys for a while at the rink I work at in Wayne. They're scattered around the Mahwah, Butler, and Ringwood area. They're a pretty interesting group of people. I think the actual term is melungen or something like that because they are a mix of african, caucasian, and native american. The one guy I worked with (also named Mann) had very dark skin, sort kinky dark hair, and blue eyes. He was a character that's for sure. I feel sorry for them though-they're sort of a people without any real identity. They've been discriminated against in the school systems and otherwise for a long time, and the Weird NJ crowd loves to go up there and treat them like a freak show. Not only that but the federal government has repeatedly denied their claim to status as an indian tribe as they have with many other melungen peoples in the United States.

Like a lot of native american groups, they tend to have high rates of alcoholism, low rates of literacy, and a lot of problems. And for the record they don't like being called Jackson Whites at all. That being said I'm sure these guys probably clash with the rangers often because from what I know of the guy I met, they'd just as soon live up in the mountains and be left alone for the most part. I'm sure they probably resent not being able to do as they please with respect to drinking, cooking out, and riding atv's and such.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
For Immediate Release:
April 5, 2006

(609) 292-2994

DEP REQUESTS ATTORNEY GENERAL’S OFFICE INVESTIGATION

(06/23) Trenton - Expressing concern for Emil Mann, his family and the Ramapough Mountain community, Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Lisa P. Jackson today announced that the state Attorney General’s Office has agreed to conduct an internal investigation into the April 1, 2006, incident involving members of the Division of Parks and Forestry’s State Park Police working at Ringwood State Park in Mahwah.

The Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office is continuing its criminal investigation into the shooting and the circumstances surrounding it. Anyone who witnessed the incident at Ramapo Valley Reservation is asked to call the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crimes Unit at (201) 226-5552.

“The officers who patrol our state parks are held to the highest standards of professional conduct,” Commissioner Jackson said. “The Attorney General’s office and the DEP are working in earnest to establish whether department procedures and policies intended to protect the public were followed.

“Should the investigation determine that any department protocols – including those that guide our work with other law enforcement agencies – are not as effective as they can and should be, I will take immediate action to rectify those deficiencies,” Commissioner Jackson said.

All four park police officers involved in the incident are on leave with pay.

###

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Considering that the man who was shot was unarmed and was not reported to have physically threatened the rangers, and considering that he was shot twice in the chest, I am left seriously considering one option over others: Another deranged ranger. Pending on the official investigation report, I am hoping that this ranger loses his job and is jailed.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
pinelandpaddler said:
Considering that the man who was shot was unarmed and was not reported to have physically threatened the rangers, and considering that he was shot twice in the chest, I am left seriously considering one option over others: Another deranged ranger. Pending on the official investigation report, I am hoping that this ranger loses his job and is jailed.

Um . . . did i miss something about where he was shot? first line of the article:

"A man was shot twice in the leg by a state park officer in Bergen County yesterday during a clash between authorities and all-terrain vehicle riders, officials said."

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bobbleton,

Um, yes, you did miss something. If you do some research you will find that the witnesses of the incident attest to his being shot twice in the chest. This put him in critical condition and he has since died from the serious wounds. Very, very sad. I hope they get to the bottom of this.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
:mad: Since it's illegal to carry a firearm in a national park the j@ck@ss knew there wouldn't be any return fire. How convenient.:jeffd:

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
BEHR655 said:
Just because it's illegal to carry a gun doesn't mean he wasn't. I'm not saying he was, I'm just saying.

Steve

I doubt he was armed. It has not been reported that he was in any news yet. If he was armed I'm sure it would be reported.