ATV Riders clean up FRM's

B

bach2yoga

That's great! Marthat Windisch had told me that there were some ATV riders that were very helpful in cleaning up some of NJ Natural Land Trust land, pulling things out with their ATVs and such.
Renee

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I certainly wish there were more atv riders like that in Jackson. One of my favorite spots near my house is a set of abandoned cranberry bogs (now public land) and the riders there seem not to have consideration for anyone or anything. I feel like Indiana Jones whenever there's a quad around--perhaps the stupid kids riding by don't notice the HUMAN BEING right in front of them . . . it also seems that every jerk within a 10 mile radius who owns a truck drives 2 miles in the woods with the specific intention of seeing their old refrigerator go SPLOOSH in the lake. Sorry if i sound bitter . . i have no problem with the sport, honestly . . . i've just seen too many beautiful places turned to crap because of people off-roading.
The rest of the riders in the state could learn something from the community that cleaned up wells mills.

-Bob

B

bach2yoga

I think that's the way a lot of us feel. I've yanked my kids to the side I don't know how many times as riders zip by without a thought that MY CHILDREN are on the trail. Definitely no yields given to pedestrians--which is the state law. Scary thought. We've learned to jump to attention at the sound of one coming.
If more riders acted like responsible citizens of a community, like those that participated in the clean-up, they would find a little more respect. It's going to take time though--there has been a lot of damage done by ATVs, plant populations trashed (a number of them rare species!), and they have gained a reputation for violence when confronted and a disregard for others. Sad, really.
It is a glimmer of hope to see some reaching out to break that stereotype.
Renee