Baeeiers at Godfrey Bridge

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
P1020382.JPG
These barriers are blocking vehicle access to the river at the old section of the campground on the river. It makes kayak access a bit of a chore.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I don't know, onorwhy they stopped camping by the river. I heard that they installed a barrier at Goshen Pond to keep vehicles from getting close to the water and there are barriers at Evans Bridge as well. Hawkin camp ground still looks closed and looks like a wreck. They cut down allot of oaks and left the wood and the stumps are 3 to 4 foot high. I just got back from a week of camping at French Creek in PA and it was first class , Nj is an imbarisment. I truely think they don't want anyone in the forest as demonstrated by how they don't maintain the roads.

SpineyPiney

Scout
Jan 15, 2013
I believe they moved it after some severe flooding a few years ago. I was out there when that whole "point" that the bridge and old campground is on was underwater and one giant flow. When coming from 563, if you go just past where that campground was, on the left is an undeveloped campground. ie just tables, a fire pit and some pit toilets. Hiked through it in the fall and it looked like it had some nice spots.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Yup, I was there a few weeks back. Saw the same thing. Some folks were actually kayaking too. Older and had to hike it to the River.

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
We camped at Godfrey Bridge last April and we weren't able to have our traditional riverside campsite since they were removed by DEP. It was a PITA lugging my beach chair and sand toys to the river from our campsite back in the woods.

Hawkins looked pretty sad with all of the tree-cutting that went on there back in 2012.

Bill Lloyd

Jan 16, 2017
Sewell, NJ
Still cant believe they closed all the riverside camping. Use to put in at Hawkins, paddle to Godfrey and camp, then on to Bodine the next day. Now that's impossible because I am not lugging a 70lb canoe and gear from the shore all the way to the campsites in the back. I think they did it just to appease the Pine Barron canoe rental places. That is now their pick up/drop off point. Aslo, the kids from Wading Pines are always on the bridge and wont move out of the way for cars. They look at you like your in the wrong. I am becoming more unhappy with Jersey camping. Another perfect spot ruined.