Bald Eagles in Brendan T. Byrne

markw

Jan 2, 2007
Hello,

I'm new to these forums. I've been lurking for a while but never registered.

On Saturday I was walking with my wife (and dog) along the cranberry bogs roads in Brendan T. Byrne when about halfway through our loop I spotted 3 Bald Eagles. 2 adults and a juvenile. Has anyone else spotted them? I walk these roads often looking for Belted Kingfishers but have never seen these guys around. I guess it's possible they were just passing through.

Anyway, I snapped a few pictures of them before we moved on. --Mark

eagle1.jpg

eagle2.jpg

eagle3.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Welcome to the forum Mark! Nice photos. There are a # of bogs in Lebanon SF. Are those the Reeves bogs? (not far from Lebanon Lakes) I have seen eagles but not in Lebanon.

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Nice find! I've never seen eagles in Lebanon, but it doesn't really surprise me much. More seem to be popping up and making themselves known every year. I had more random eagle sightings in 2006 than ever before and imagine the trend will continue if they continue to be respected and cared for as a species.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
As Bob said I too have seen more bald eagles then ever in areas away from their usual locations in cumberland and cape may counties. I have seen several flying overhead at whitesbog, and saw one at brendan down by pakim pond. You are very lucky to get such good pictures of them perched. I normally scare them away before I can snap one but normally see them flying from overhead. In the winter it seems eagles are becoming fairly common site. I saw one flying over my house in haddonfield this year and also saw one down in west deptford while playing golf...so during winter you may find them anywhere.

markw

Jan 2, 2007
I'm not actually sure the name of these bogs they are the ones just north of Pakim pond.

I'm a pretty good distance from these guys. The middle picture is as seen through a 280mm lens (70-200mm with a 1.4 extender) I had to heavily crop the others. It sat there perched for a long while. It seemed more concerned what the other 2 were doing than us. I thought for sure my dog would have freaked them out. --Mark

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo's Mark! Thank you for sharing them.

Welcome!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very nice Mark, very nice.

Today, I was cleaning my bedroom and looked out the window and thought I saw one high up over the lake area. Got my binoculars and he was gone. Might have been the Osprey I saw ahile ago.

I went to the lake and counted 175 Canadian Geese.

markw

Jan 2, 2007
Thanks everyone. I honestly have never seen a Bald Eagle in the wild. So it was a pretty awesome experience and even cooler to catch a family of them. I hope they stay in the area for a bit longer I'd like to get some better shots of them. --Mark

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks everyone. I honestly have never seen a Bald Eagle in the wild. So it was a pretty awesome experience and even cooler to catch a family of them. I hope they stay in the area for a bit longer I'd like to get some better shots of them. --Mark

I doubt they are going anywhere, although I suspect they have an incredible range. Those bogs north of Pakim pond are the Reeves bogs.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I'm sure you will see them out there again. Once spring comes they will be a little harder to find. Especially up there since I don't know if there are any nesting pairs in the pines. Bobpbx, you prob. saw an eagle, osprey shouldn't be around here at this time of year. I have a spot where i see them constantly and have not seen them since maybe october...most likely a eagle.