Bald eagles in south Jersey?

Canoe_Junkie

Nov 20, 2009
Tabernacle
This thread is a bit old, but for a sure bet on viewing Bald Eagles, try Harrisville Pond, where the Oswego River Meets the Wading on Rt. 679. You may need to canoe up the pond a bit, but that eagle is always there and rather vocal I might add.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I remember a pair would sun themselves across an inland body of water somewhere near Tuckerton when I was at Stockton College. People were gathered watching them from a bridge. They were fairly common down there I think. Nice photos btw!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I am just terrible at bird ID, but I think some eagles are nesting near my land. This spring and summer, I would see them almost every day out in the woods. Pretty sure they are eagles because they're really BIG, fly very high and are not colored like a hawk. They also make an odd screeching call fairly constantly as they circle - I guess they're letting each other know where they are?

Recently I haven't seen them nearly as much, but I did see one about a week ago. Will have to see if I can catch a photo one of these days.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am just terrible at bird ID, but I think some eagles are nesting near my land. This spring and summer, I would see them almost every day out in the woods. Pretty sure they are eagles because they're really BIG, fly very high and are not colored like a hawk. They also make an odd screeching call fairly constantly as they circle - I guess they're letting each other know where they are?

Recently I haven't seen them nearly as much, but I did see one about a week ago. Will have to see if I can catch a photo one of these days.

They will be building nests or refurbishing an existing one over the next months with breeding beginning in January/February. You can check the eagle survey at the link or contact Kathy Clark, her office is at Tuckahoe WMA, she wrote the eagle survey at the link.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/eglrpt08.pdf

This picture shows mature, top, and immature Bald Eagles. Taken in the Upper Delaware region.

91623453.jpg

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
In the last 2 years I have seen two in Mays Landing at two different gravel pit lakes and a nesting pair in Port Republic.

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
I've been in Atlantic County for about a year and a half now and have seen more within that time span than in my entire life. Mullica River, Batsto Lake, Hammonton Lake, Egg Harbor City Lake... the novelty will never wear off. Just wonderful.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I see one every week or so in Gloucester Twp, along Big Timber Creek. I think guy might've saw the same bird some time ago while visiting the Green Acres/Beaverbrook Park in Runnemede.