barren nights

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Sad times. I'm truely sorry for all of your losses. Last Friday, Bear, my black Lab had his spleen removed in an emergency surgery due to a tumor. We found out last night that it's cancer. Trying to decide if it's selfish to start him on chemo-therapy. Terrible to go through, but for 10 years, he's been the bestest buddy ever! I'm an absolute mess!

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry Bill and Scott about your losses, i lost my constant companion on July 30th, she was 17 years 9 months old, i am still heartbroken.

My stepdaughter bought me and the wife three days after my dogs death a two month old Doberman-Rottweiller mix, she is now four months old, she has taken away a lot of the loss, any opinions of when i can take her out in the woods with me ?

Jim

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Sad times. I'm truely sorry for all of your losses. Last Friday, Bear, my black Lab had his spleen removed in an emergency surgery due to a tumor. We found out last night that it's cancer. Trying to decide if it's selfish to start him on chemo-therapy. Terrible to go through, but for 10 years, he's been the bestest buddy ever! I'm an absolute mess!

I had a rottwieler named Gus who I lost to cancer. It had to do with his lymph nodes. It went real fast. We made the decision to put him to sleep and it was hard to see him go but he was really hurting. He was always with me, and he loved the pines. I buried him at a camping spot we used alot on the Batsto. I still call it Gus' spot. That was twenty years ago.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I found a photo today in my archives that didn't strike me back when I first took it, which was shortly after the large fire near Warren Grove. Wondering now what I didn't see in it. This -- and football is boring me, and I've read enough of my book in progress (Thomas Pynchon's "fine" Against the Day), and Al won't answer my phone calls, and the kids' soccer games are over, and I've raked enough 'effin leaves, dear --- had me sitting here playing with the image for over an hour.

Drum roll, please. Thank you. Two cones, and a fire-ravaged pitch pine, unpleasantly warped by Whippoorbill.

conage.jpg

normal

conagecross.jpg

crosshatch

conageac.jpg

acrylic

conagebw.jpg

black & white (and crosshatched again)

conagewc.jpg

water color

conagepastel.jpg

pastel

Kay, I'm done. Time to rev up the psyche for tonight's Iggle-Giant game.

Bill

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Top shelf stuff! Great work Bill.

I love the cross-hatch the best. In all of them its neat how your eyes move from one cone to the other....without you even thinking about it.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Bill,
Good stuff as usual, I had some flashbacks while watching the shots metamorphasize:)
The last shot- "Vincent Van Gogh visits the Pines":)
Clocking out in 7 minutes and rushing to a local tavern to cheer on the Iggles!
Let's beat the stinkin' Giants tonight!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Bill,

Is your camera out of focus or is there some kind of inner emotional turmoil expressing itself here?
Al

Alfred,

In the future, I'd prefer if you referred to me as Vincent van Whippoorbill. And stop hoiting my feelings.

On the other hand, thank you Bob and Tom for the compliments. It's been a while since I've wandered the pitches with the ol' Canon. (I'm cheap, and gas has been, like, expensive). It's time to return ... maybe this weekend. Is there anybody besides Alfred who would like to come along (to assure I don't get lost)? :)

Vincent van ...

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Alfie I will tolerate but Alfred is going too far William.I wasn't going to tell everyone that you were afraid of animal crackers till you were sixteen but you forced me.If you keep it up I"ll tell them about the pink lace on your boxers.
Ouchie B.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Alfred,

In the future, I'd prefer if you referred to me as Vincent van Whippoorbill. And stop hoiting my feelings.

On the other hand, thank you Bob and Tom for the compliments. It's been a while since I've wandered the pitches with the ol' Canon. (I'm cheap, and gas has been, like, expensive). It's time to return ... maybe this weekend. Is there anybody besides Alfred who would like to come along (to assure I don't get lost)? :)

Vincent van ...

I'd love to meet up Bill, but this weekend is full up. We'll get together some day soon.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Oh no not another one!Bubbamax don't do it!your taking good pine barrens scenery and twisting it into horror flick props.Don't let whipoorbill lead you astray! He used to be the best barrens photographer i ever knew and then something happened.He went computer and discovered photo editing software and digital cameras and from there it's been all downhill.He can still take a perfectly awesome picture when he wants too but then he takes it home and pops out his card and pops it into his machine and busts out the editing program and then he sprouts horns and then he turns a pine barrens meadow into 1313 mockingbird lane.I'm trying to lure him back into daylight photography and unenhanced panoramas.Don't feed his frenzy.It'll be Bubbamax and Bubba Gump warping the barrens.Is'nt anything pure and sacred anymore?:-(
Alfie

BubbaMax

Oh no not another one!Bubbamax don't do it!your taking good pine barrens scenery and twisting it into horror flick props.Don't let whipoorbill lead you astray! He used to be the best barrens photographer i ever knew and then something happened.He went computer and discovered photo editing software and digital cameras and from there it's been all downhill.He can still take a perfectly awesome picture when he wants too but then he takes it home and pops out his card and pops it into his machine and busts out the editing program and then he sprouts horns and then he turns a pine barrens meadow into 1313 mockingbird lane.I'm trying to lure him back into daylight photography and unenhanced panoramas.Don't feed his frenzy.It'll be Bubbamax and Bubba Gump warping the barrens.Is'nt anything pure and sacred anymore?:-(
Alfie

oops sorry:(

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Alfie

Bubbamax is a budding photographer (a profile search reveals that he's six years old) and, that said, I'd say the photo he posted and those over on his gallery are quite remarkable.

I see his photograph is gone now from this thread -- wish he'd put it back on. Please do.

Bill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
conjuntion-junction, what's your function?

Is anybody else noticing the planets Venus and Jupiter glowing brilliantly in the western sky, while getting closer to each other each night? They'll soon meet face-to-face in a spectacular conjunction.

I've been watching both planets near each other since Venus emerged late summer from its trip behind the sun. They'll continue closing their distance gap until December 1, when the two planets will only be a couple degrees apart. The same night, a young moon will be close-by, making for a super sky treat.

Now that it's getting dark earlier, I think I'm spending more time watching the pair of planets than I am the road during my nightly westward commute from the shore. Makes me a weavin' machine. :) Night skies rock.

Bill

Is anybody else noticing the planets Venus and Jupiter glowing brilliantly in the western sky, while getting closer to each other each night? They'll soon meet face-to-face in a spectacular conjunction.

i've been watching too Bill,Havn't had alot of time to do alot of other stuff so after the kids have been going to bed I have been stepping out in my field and enjoying the view.

i