Barrens

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
After moving to Huntingdon, PA, it turned out that we’ve left South Jersey but not the barrens.
There’s a pine barrens - where I worked almost 70 years ago - State Game Lands near US322 west of State College which we plan to explore, and Appalachian Shale Barrens in several areas nearby. In fact we’ve already visited a couple of the latter and have photographed some plants unqiue to them including a PA state rarity: Shale Barren Evening Primrose, Oenothera argillcola.
The Pine Barrens sugar sand trails have ben replaced with steep, rocky, rutted versions, just as daunting. Really miss the Pinelands of South Jersey and our friends there but we're having fun in a totally different ecological region.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You also have a sizeable Elk herd about 60 miles NNW of you. :)

We have been looking in the Williamsport area.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/WildlifeSpecies/Elk/Pages/default.aspx

Elk_Viewing_Destinations.jpg

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
After moving to Huntingdon, PA, it turned out that we’ve left South Jersey but not the barrens.
There’s a pine barrens - where I worked almost 70 years ago - State Game Lands near US322 west of State College which we plan to explore, and Appalachian Shale Barrens in several areas nearby. In fact we’ve already visited a couple of the latter and have photographed some plants unqiue to them including a PA state rarity: Shale Barren Evening Primrose, Oenothera argillcola.
The Pine Barrens sugar sand trails have ben replaced with steep, rocky, rutted versions, just as daunting. Really miss the Pinelands of South Jersey and our friends there but we're having fun in a totally different ecological region.

Johnny,
I have family in Mapleton Depot and Mt. Union very close to Huntington. Nice area up there,haven't been out that way in years

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
What a coincidence. In about two hours I'm leaving for a long weekend in Driftwood, PA, right in the middle of elk country. Haven't been there for 40 years. My grandparents lived there and I stayed with them in the summer to help them out. My main job was to guard the still from the bears trying to get to the mash. Also remember if you didn't shoot something or catch something you didn't eat. There used to be a rattlesnake festival at a town called Sinnemahoning that was a blast, don't know if they still have it. Good memories of a different time.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Haven't been to Benezette where I didn't see an elk (never saw one on 144 or 120)
There's a rattlesnake hunt (believe returned to wild) in Cross Fork PA, went last year.
Nice area, enjoy your new surrounding's