Bass River Fire Tower proposal

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For some reason I ended up back on the start of this thread and saw this post and picture. I think I now know what this is. It is a loading platform, sort of like a stand-alone loading dock, probably from CCC days. I guess you would back a truck up to it, unload onto this platform, then ??? Not sure what it looks like from the other side - does it have a ramp? If not, maybe it had a wooden ramp that is now gone?
I was there looking at it a few days ago. No ramp.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
The Press of Atlantic City, Sun 1/5/2020, front page: "Bass River State Forest - Tree cutting starts near fire tower". It's a good article. They got the answers to some of our questions above: Who got the contract? Who paid whom and how much? And more.

I'm not posting a link to the article, or the answers. If you really want, you can find it online. Or you could support good local journalism by buying a copy of today's paper, or subscribe to the print or digital versions.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
More coverage in The Sandpaper dated today 1/8/2020 here: State Begins Forest Cutting for Fire Tower
Can't let this quote go without corrections: "Part of the area to be cut is the popular 3.5-mile pink trail frequented
by hikers in the state forest." 1) It's orange, not pink. 2) The trail was detoured away from the cutting area before they started. The detour goes through a really nice area, too.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He should tell us how he really feels :)

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
You aren't the first person to ask about the names. ('Greg' in the letter is the State Firewarden / Chief of the Forest Fire Service, and 'Colin' owns, or co-owns the company doing the work.) I couldn't find any link between them, although I didn't look too hard. Also I think the project is going through a different department: Forest Service, not Forest Fire Service.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
So, it's costing taxpayers $17k to cut trees that were originally planted to harvest for lumber. That usually means a bid to buy from a lumber company not charge the landowner to cut. Only in NJ. Does anyone know if the harvest company is keeping any of the lumber grade trees for profit? Strange how $$ was found to cut the trees but not to improve the fire tower. Business as usual.

Reactions: The Wick