Bass River Fire

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
It's getting much stronger, in smell and smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_072040879.jpg
    IMG_20230603_072040879.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20230603_072045501.jpg
    IMG_20230603_072045501.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 79

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Looks like they were backfiring right up against houses there.
If this fire was on the other side of that cut, it could potentially burn all the way to Atco raceway and up to a Atsion Road but it’s pretty contained where it is because it’s not gonna jump that cut and it’s not gonna jump Jackson Road. I can see the smoke pretty good an hour ago from my house but the winds of shifted now and it’s blowing the other way.

Attachments

• IMG_4900.jpeg
    IMG_4900.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
At some point the area from Jackson road dirt road, to Jackson road by atco raceway to Atsion will burn and will be a monster fire. It’s beyond thick back there and a real issue. There is tremendous amount of beautful wetlands there but there is plenty of thick woods as well.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Could smell it yesterday in laurel lake and smoky as hell here.Satellite image showed smoke plume from bass river right over Millville and laurel lake.Weird direction for the wind to be blowing on a hot sunny day (Northeast).
That is the same area that burnt when the bombing range started a fire back in the 90,s

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
Does anyone know why the named the Medford fire "Flatiron" or generally how they name wildfires? I'm not aware of anything in that area called Flatiron.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Does anyone know why the named the Medford fire "Flatiron" or generally how they name wildfires? I'm not aware of anything in that area called Flatiron.

Maybe Piney Warden knows and can tell us.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were driving down the White Horse Pike around 7:15 this morning and from just east of Berlin to Chew Road it was still smokey and smelled.

Tom Jenkins

Nov 30, 2016
Pennsauken, NJ
Reactions: PinesExplr

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
We were driving down the White Horse Pike around 7:15 this morning and from just east of Berlin to Chew Road it was still smokey and smelled.
There was also a 20 acre fire in winslow yesterday to. Seems like no matter which way the wind blows I smell smoke

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Also trying to figure out why the Gloucester county fire was called the box turtle fire, not a fan of that name.
I thought the same thing. Sometimes when they get creative when naming them lol. I have heard of the name Flatiron for that area but I’m not sure where I heard it before.

Reactions: PinesExplr

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
The incident commander decides the fire's name.
Normally, the name has a geographic or historical connection to the area where the fire is burning.
However, it doesn't have to be. I have seen them named after people, holidays, or even animals.
Don't read too much into the name. You don't have 9 months to pick out a name like a baby.
The incident commander has much bigger issues on his mind at the beginning stages of a fire then it's name.

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
The incident commander decides the fire's name.
Normally, the name has a geographic or historical connection to the area where the fire is burning.
However, it doesn't have to be. I have seen them named after people, holidays, or even animals.
Don't read too much into the name. You don't have 9 months to pick out a name like a baby.
The incident commander has much bigger issues on his mind at the beginning stages of a fire then it's name.
The area is off my backyard, only have seen it referred to as Lakeview/Highbridge homeowners association land. It's part of my daily dog walking/biking trails. I know there used to be a camp there (outhouse ruins still there). Maybe the camp name?

The area is sandwiched between the electric wires easement (beyond which starts WHS), Jackson Rd., and Elderberry. Jackson Rd. (around where it turns to dirt) and the wires prevented it from continuing in the direction of the Cedar Run Wildlife. I think the wind was pushing it that way. They plowed a firebreak along the west side of Somerton CT and lit a backfire, which worked to protect those homes. Medford FD had fire trucks in some of the driveways on Somerton. NJ Fire Service did an expert job of protecting the homes. I suspect the "shed" they referred to was an old makeshift hunting shack in the middle of that area, far from any houses.

Reactions: dragoncjo and Boyd