batona trail hike

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Haha!! Just can't help my excitement for our state!! I hated NJ until a few months ago and adore it now! I literally want to see EVERYTHING so I apologize if a bit much!! But I do plan on seeing these places and soon. Within the next upcoming weeks. I love our beauty! And most of all, LOVE all of you! Yes... hiney kissing necessary.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Emancipation Beech Saddlers Woods

Attachments

• forest 058.JPG
    forest 058.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 432

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Found this and wish to do it. Any info prior would be appreciated. This would be the longest hike as of Yet. However, seems pretty manageable with the all terrain stroller. Also, question on Wading River down the road from Mick's near the bridge and small beach wondering if any good trails back there.

http://www.njhiking.com/best-hikes-in-nj-wharton-atsion-quaker-bridge.php
I just walked the southwestern part of this trail a few weeks ago.The trail is officially closed and rerouted down near batsto.This is because the bridge across Sleeper creek washed out and is laying alongside the creek.I took off my shoes and walked across the ankle deep sandy bottomed creek,no problem so if you want to take the old route just take your shoes off or wear knee highs.I have walked the whole hike shown here at different times and it is all a nice hike.Should be an all dayer if your pushing a stroller too which i wouldn't recommend but you say you have a lift kit and Mud tires on it.The new route is a nice sand road but is used by vehicles as are parts of this hike that are on sand roads but most is foot trail.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
That is crazy. They got hit bad with these storms. Oops wasn't finished the computer lagged me out. Okay. So I guess with the bridge out it is still safe to cross. I don't have knee highs unless I'm going out to a club or something and I'm sure those wouldn't work for the woods anyways. The tires I have are pretty durable on this stroller. Goes through anything. Even sticker bushes with no problem over and under twigs etc etc. the hike should be what..maybe 4-5 hours? I'm a fast walker and a beast.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think you could do in five with no breaks.The stream crossing is a cinch if you take the old trail but you will get your shoes wet if you don't take them off unless yourr reaql acrobatic but you won;t be able to push the stroller across while performing the needed acrobatic stunts to get across.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I use to be acrobatic, haha. However, sure as hell not like cat woman. Thanks Muskin. Did the trails at Atsion today and was just wonderful. Truly beautiful. 5 with no breaks would be tough with the monkey. So you are probably accurate on the entire day thing. I truly appreciate the feedback means a lot. I definitely wish to seek it out. Btw, the colors are starting to change and gorgeous in the pines.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The swamps always change first.Red maple and Black Gum change early.Black Gum does what is called fruit flagging.It changes early so the birds will realize the berries are ready for eating and thereby will spread the seeds through bird poo.Sassafras does the same and the leaves are all orange right now.Black gum leaves are small and purple.The scrub oaks are the last to leaf out in spring and the last to loose their leaves in fall.Oaks don't make a good fall show but Hickory which is more in evidence down here makes a bright golden splash.One exception to oak drabness is the scarlet oak which we do have a lot of in Peaslees down this way.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I dunno Muskin.... Think you are the EffinGenius per your paragraph above. I'm trying to understand and get acquainted with the plant life. I am a master gardener, but have no clue when it comes to the Pineys. It's a whole different universe.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I dunno Muskin.... Think you are the EffinGenius per your paragraph above. I'm trying to understand and get acquainted with the plant life. I am a master gardener, but have no clue when it comes to the Pineys. It's a whole different universe.
Your young.Load up on some field guides,Howard Boyds, Petersons and do your "Dirt Time" and you'll be an EffinGenius by the time your forty.We have experts on this site in just about any filed you could possibly imagine to do with the barrens and it's history,flora,fauna,etc.I try to learn it all and end up being an expert on nothing but getting a little bit of it all.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Saddlers Woods is an interesting place. It was the MacArthur tract and was called McArthurs woods until about 5 years or so ago. I took a tour of the place in the rain not long after they acquired it and the old growth trees were impressive.

This was 11/16/2002. The tree in the middle behind the group is one of the oldest trees in the state.

IMG_1551.JPG

Another tree

IMG_1554.JPG

My dad grew up on an adjacent street and I have always wondered if as a kid he played in those woods. There was an old large home on the property where the High School is now and I remember as a kid being at my grandmothers house and hearing my uncle telling my dad they were going to tear the house down for a school.

Guy
I have never heard of this saddlers Woods.Have been googling it and it is up by Guy.Can you check the woods out on your own or do you have to go on a tour?If you like Big Tulip Poplar you should drive around the city of Vineland.There are massive Poplar trees all along the roads and in peoples yards.The derecho took out a few but many nice ones left.Some of them look as big as the one shown here.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Nope can check it out on your own. It is pretty neat. A bit small. Literally explored every crevice in 1 1/2 to 2 hours, but is pretty. The map is neat that you can download and explains the history and the ages of the trees. I never heard of it either, until I started doing research about our state. Check it out.

EffinGenius

Aug 27, 2012
Medford Lakes
Did someone mention me? Anyway, a few posts back someone posted about the Parker Preserve. I notice that there are a couple observation towers on the trails here. What exactly do they mean by "observation towers"? My boys and I parked in the lot off 532 when we went to the blue hole over the summer, but I didn't realize that there were trails thru the preserve right there.

Also, Inoticed some of the trails are multi-use trails... How bike-friendly are they? My kids are 9 and 5 and are decent bike riders (you have to be to live in Medford Lakes), but not experienced off-road riders by any means.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Did someone mention me? Anyway, a few posts back someone posted about the Parker Preserve. I notice that there are a couple observation towers on the trails here. What exactly do they mean by "observation towers"? My boys and I parked in the lot off 532 when we went to the blue hole over the summer, but I didn't realize that there were trails thru the preserve right there.

Also, Inoticed some of the trails are multi-use trails... How bike-friendly are they? My kids are 9 and 5 and are decent bike riders (you have to be to live in Medford Lakes), but not experienced off-road riders by any means.
I am not aware of any towers in the Parker Preserve but there are designated trails that head south from the parking area on 532.There may well be towers though,They are doing new things out there all the time.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Observation "towers" are usually just a small deck to go bird watching. The trails are pretty easy. I used a stroller. If you go off the main trails its a bit more rustic and a little more difficult to trek through. Lined with pine needles, sticks, and the occasional spider web you'll go through. But biking would be fine. On a side note, I'm not sure if they allow bikes. I'll have to go through my notes. A must to go towards sunset. It is gorgeous.

There are a few benches to sit at. The bridge is closed down because it is unsafe to walk across. It's a neat place to explore.