Batona Trail Mile Markers

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Another question:
Does every mile have a half-mile marker? I seem to have missed documenting a few, but I'm pretty sure I would have seen them.
Yes, every mile has a half-mile marker. There should be a marker approximately every half mile along the entire trail - unless someone stole it, which happens.

Every half and whole mile marker sign has a pink ring around the tree. Mostly every whole mile marker also has N and S direction signs, but sometimes they are nearby and not on the same tree.

One would think it would be hard to miss a pink ring around the tree with a marker sign, but I have managed to do it many times.

Reactions: teleflux
Out of curiosity, I put out an inquiry to a representative with the OCSJ. They do indeed have the coordinates of the markers, but were hesitant to share them because of accuracy problems (I suppose they were previously provided to the public at some point, as Guy mentioned, and then people complained). Also, the coordinates have not been kept up to date with the latest changes to the trail route.
OCSJ crew will always have the best info. The long-awaited state map is supposed to be coming out very soon and the state seems to really really mean it this time (as opposed to when it was supposed to be coming out soon for the past many years now and they apparently didn't really mean it).

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
... The long-awaited state map is supposed to be coming out very soon and the state seems to really really mean it this time ...
What I've heard is that what's coming 'real soon now' is a new printed Batona Trail brochure, plus new display panels (those big 3'x4' signs in metal frames at various points along the trail which have a map and other info). I do not think they are doing anything new with the existing on-line map (spstrailtracker.nj.gov or the NJ GIN data set), which may already represent the most up-to-date data they have.

Reactions: teleflux

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Another question:
Does every mile have a half-mile marker? I seem to have missed documenting a few, but I'm pretty sure I would have seen them.
The 5.5 is at: 39.669384 -74.481198

The 5.0 is at: 39.663591 -74.475847

I don't have an interest in the Batona but I am going to start collecting them as I see them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would not say easy. But you can. Just remember, it is the trail so go slow. We were there recently about 7:30 AM and came upon a couple walking. No place to go so they stepped aside. I thanked them