Batona Trail

Keasbey

Oct 6, 2009
I'm thinking about heading out and hiking the Batona Trail over one of the upcoming weekends.

If I'm not mistaken, bow hunting season started on the 3rd right?

Is it recommended that I wear orange the whole time. Are there any rules about how close to the trail people can hunt? Which segments of the trail are within hunting areas?

Are there any campsites along the trail besides the Batona and Lower Forge Campsites? If need be (and I know its not allowed) would it be possible to drop a tent at other points along the trail?

Where can I find a good trail guide/map?

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
I'm thinking about heading out and hiking the Batona Trail over one of the upcoming weekends.

If I'm not mistaken, bow hunting season started on the 3rd right?

Is it recommended that I wear orange the whole time. Are there any rules about how close to the trail people can hunt? Which segments of the trail are within hunting areas?

Are there any campsites along the trail besides the Batona and Lower Forge Campsites? If need be (and I know its not allowed) would it be possible to drop a tent at other points along the trail?

Where can I find a good trail guide/map?

i always wear orange pack cover or orange fleece hat.

those and Brenden Byrne are the only sites. Bodine is a short hike off trail. Stealth camping is illegal. breaking the law is up to you.

they have maps at Byrne, Bass River and Batsto. Not very detailed. Blazing is pretty good.
................CHIGGERS................That's what I would be worried about :)

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I concur on the chiggers. If you can hold off for just a few more weeks and wait until after we get a hard freeze, the chiggers will be gone.

I'm on the Batona Trail 30-40 times a year. Excluding deer week in December, I really don't see all that many hunters out there. I only wear an orange vest and orange hat during deer week in December. Other than that, I'll put on an orange hat only if I know somebody is hunting nearby. To the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions against hunting on the Batona Trail beyond what already exists regarding a hunter's proximity to roads and buildings.

If you're going to do the Batona Trail in two days, Lower Forge campsite will put you right in the middle of it. Get a camping permit at Batsto or Brendan Byrne. The campsites are patrolled and you may be asked to produce a permit. If you're going to do the Batona Trail in three days, then stealth camping is a necessity. Quite honestly, unless you build a roaring fire next to a road, it's not likely you'll be discovered. Anytime I stealth camp, I always practice no trace camping. It's too bad the state won't make some accommodation and allow just a small clearing for a backpacking campsite between Evans Bridge and Batsto. It would be nice to be able to thru-hike the Batona Trail in three days without becoming a scofflaw.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i believe the chiggers are already gone.I did my annual chigger test where when I believe it's been cold enough i go into a very chiggeryarea with no spray on and shorts and white socks and this year last weekend i came out unscathed so at least in cumberland county i pronounce them gone for the year.
As far as hunter oragne I never wear it because i hate looking like a construction cone.My theory is if a hunter shoots a 5 ft 10 inch man walking through the woods because he thinks it's a deer then he better make sure he kills me because if i get his gun away from him it's my turn.I really don't think you have to worry about bow hunters.Their a much better bunch of hunters on average then your shotgun hunters that come out by the thousands in december and the worst of the bunch are the clubs full of drivers.These people reguarly drive deer toward each other and blast away at them in the dirction of the opposing line so this telly you how much sense they have.The nice thing about bow hunting is you have to be much closer to take a shot and even the most tiresome idiots can tell your a man by the time your that close.By the way bow hunters don't have to wear orange so why should you.
on another note I'm sure you know it's illegal to camp on state property (even though it's technically yours) on any spot other then a designated campground with permit.That said of course I can't give you specific areas here or ranger rick will be there waiting for his cup of hot coffee when you wake up but needless to say check your route out on the aerials and anywhere you see a lot of open sandy spots should be clear enough to pitch a tent.I would wait till almost dark to pitch it and try to get it down at first light and of course be out of sight of the trail and roads.Build no fire and keep your noise down and you should have no problem.If your ever stopped with a backpack on and no camping permit just tell them your getting in shape for a future hike with full pack and have a person picking you up at such and such a place.The batona trail was not designed to have convenient overnight area when hiking the entire trail.for instance there is absolutely no legal place to camp anywhere near the trail for the last26 miles of trail without considerable hiking detours talking extra miles here.when through hiking you do what you gotta do.
Al

ps hunters can hunt right on top of the trail if they choose but hopefully if they do their aware of potential hikers and act accordingly.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
My theory is if a hunter shoots a 5 ft 10 inch man walking through the woods because he thinks it's a deeer...
I kinda feel the same way. I mean, I'll admit that I'm not the most handsome man in the world, but nobody has ever mistaken me for a deer. Now if they had a wolf season out there I'd be a little more worried.:D

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
i believe the chiggers are already gone.

You need one night with a killing frost of 30 degrees to be free of chiggers. Ticks need two consecutive 30 degree nights to be sure they are dormant for the season. I'm not sure if it's gotten that cold in Cumb county, but I know it hasn't been that cold up here, yet.

John-

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I've been in the woods doing roughly 4-8 miles a day almost everyday for the past 2 weeks (with the pup) and we haven't ran into any chiggers. That isnt to say there not out there though. Still plenty of ticks around. I'd be weary of anyone hunting along the trail, as you'd have to be an idiot to hunt that close to hiking traffic.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You need one night with a killing frost of 30 degrees to be free of chiggers. Ticks need two consecutive 30 degree nights to be sure they are dormant for the season. I'm not sure if it's gotten that cold in Cumb county, but I know it hasn't been that cold up here, yet.

John-

it has hit 38 down here and i can vouch that there are no more chiggers down here.I've been in places in shorts the last few days i get chiggers from every year and there are none.not even one.I do not believe they have to be frozen to die,just one or two nights down around 40 will usually knock them off.I can't swear how it is up there since i haven't been to the barrens in over a month but down here it's all clear.
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As far as hunter oragne I never wear it because i hate looking like a construction cone.My theory is if a hunter shoots a 5 ft 10 inch man walking through the woods because he thinks it's a deer then he better make sure he kills me because if i get his gun away from him it's my turn.I really don't think you have to worry about bow hunters.Their a much better bunch of hunters on average then your shotgun hunters that come out by the thousands in december and the worst of the bunch are the clubs full of drivers.These people reguarly drive deer toward each other and blast away at them in the dirction of the opposing line so this telly you how much sense they have.

God Bless you Al. You always say want I want to (but to lazy to).

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
As far as hunter oragne I never wear it because i hate looking like a construction cone.My theory is if a hunter shoots a 5 ft 10 inch man walking through the woods because he thinks it's a deer then he better make sure he kills me because if i get his gun away from him it's my turn.

By the way bow hunters don't have to wear orange so why should you.

I've experienced hunters that apparently hunt by sound, the sound of pellets striking leaves tends to wake one up quickly. I always have an orange hat on during the season, regardless which one.

Most bow hunters don't walk around, but use a stand. Hikers make sound, see previous point. :)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
If you are nervous, I would only recommend hunter orange during the 6 day firearm.
That is the one season where all the clubs are out in force and you may have a very, very remote chance of finding yourself in the middle of a drive.
This year that will be December 7 to 12.

Most clubs are extremely safety conscious and hunters in general are as well.
Hunting accidents are extremely rare.

In a drive situation there is lot of excitement with deer being pushed.
The standers have a general idea where their drivers are. They are keyed into looking for blaze orange in and beyond their line of sight before pulling the trigger on a deer.
If you are in the middle of a drive and not wearing orange, there is some risk.

I certainly wouldn't worry about bow hunters.
Their effrective range is 45- 50 yards and at that distance, they should be able to see the whites of your eyes.

Scott

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Trailing away

Seeing as how this is about the Batona, it is as good as any.
I had a junket in mind today, a little side project at Pleasant Mill that seems to go on and on and one day might come to fruition, but not today. Fortunately, given the wonderous day, and with the family all occupied, I decided to make good the junket with a drive by myself in the Vette. Ironically, I pulled out of the driveway right behind RednekF350 on his Hog with the pleasant Mrs. Nek riding shotgun with him on the bike. We shared the road till our parting in Nesco and it was fun just riding behind them a bit on the winding tree lined back roads . Man, all told what a day to be out and about. My project went bust so I decided to ride to Batsto only to find it too full to my liking. A little demon inside me said to keep on a goin' to favored Tuckerton but I figured, why not do a little woods junket instead. Started out with a sparkly shiny Vette, ended up a bit dusty. Passing Batsto I just decided to follow Tylertown road to Batsto/Washinton, etc.
Got a few strange looks along the way by passers by. I will say, there was no compare to a little trail riding with the top off and just pines to the left and right of me.
ROAD1.JPG

LOOK.JPG

I road for a bit and would have gone farther, I have pretty oversized meats on the car so careful driving without a lot of pedal keeps me moving fine. I do however have no turning radius at all so K-Turning out sucked! I really only employed prudence in the presence of a puddle. I don't mind the car being dusty but there is no call for it to be all slopped up with mud. I will say that when I stopped at the fire tower for a little walkabout, it took about three minutes for me to be coated in lady bugs!!! My hair, body, face, and mouth...WTF! I walked back to the car to find it speckled inside and out with lady bugs. real nice. Bleccchh!
Anyhoo, the BATONA....
I am not certain ,and I know there are many restrictions, but I have to wonder if the powers that be that forged the Batona had a "NO STINGRAY" clause in there somewhere.
BATONA_2.JPG

BATONA_1.JPG

Ah well, **** 'em if they can't take a joke. All in all, the ride in, the ride during, and the ride home were a couple Joyous hours spent in my wheel on a fine day. Refreshing. I hope Scott & Dott enjoyed their junket as I do any of you who went out there today as well. The trees, the trails, roads, and sun did not dissapoint. If you were out that way and did see a rather unusual looking Corvette on a trail and thought "who the H***!!", It was me.

g.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Nice trip Largo!! I would have loved to had my Vette out today, but alas, I spent some time with my daughter and her little cheerleaders she coaches at the local Pop Warner game. Beautiful day to be outside nonetheless!!!

Next time you take the Vette for a ride, let me know. I'd more than happy to take a ride with mine thru the pines (paved roads, though. LOL!).

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Great trip and photos George. That is one awesome piney cruiser if I ever saw one.
Not a lot of Vettes on Washington Pike these days.
We stopped for fuel in Nesco and grabbed a hoagie at Farmer Johns that we took down to Crowleys to eat by the Mullica.
After that we we went to Parkertown to the restored waterfront park on Parker Creek and then to down to Smithville.
What a beautiful day for cruising down the roads of the pines.

"Their a much better bunch of hunters on average then your shotgun hunters that come out by the thousands in december and the worst of the bunch are the clubs full of drivers.These people reguarly drive deer toward each other and blast away at them in the dirction of the opposing line so this telly you how much sense they have."

They ain't jest ahuntin' - Theys re-enactin' some battles of yore they been tolt about by they teechers 'fore they got throwd outa Kindy garten! Yep! Lined up an' a shootin' at each other, cussin' and drinkin', and raisin' holy heck! If youse a deer or critter, youse got nothin' to worry about! (Kinda reminds me of that classic saga - "Caddyshack", but with 12 gauges!)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If you are nervous, I would only recommend hunter orange during the 6 day firearm.
That is the one season where all the clubs are out in force and you may have a very, very remote chance of finding yourself in the middle of a drive.

The standers have a general idea where their drivers are. They are keyed into looking for blaze orange in and beyond their line of sight before pulling the trigger on a deer.

Their effrective range is 45- 50 yards and at that distance, they should be able to see the whites of your eyes.

Scott

Scott
I have been told by hunters repeatedly that I should be wearing blaze orange and have even been threatened with the law.I believe the law says if you are hunting you have to wear orange and since i am not hunting i am exempt but on the other hand it would be safer for me to do so but then again I feel it's kind of simple to wear camo from head to toe as i generally do and then put a bright neon orange beanie on.I feel that any person with a gun out there should be able to differentiate between a bearded ,fat piney and a deer.I have quit dragging my knuckles and now stand upright.I like bow season much better because i don't catch any flack from them.The gun hunters see me as a nonconformist and make vague threats like don't blame us if you get shot.well hell yes I'll blame anybody who shoots me if I'm still alive to do so and if it's just a light flesh wound God help em.I have got into the habit of trying to stay out of the woods that week of shotgun season,the whole attitude of the gun clubs down here anyway is they own the woods thats week.Thats the only week of the year most of them are in the woods but they take ownership that week.Now I am quite thankful there are hunters because wether I like it or not it's their money that has bought most of the state land i can now enjoy without going into stealth mode thats required for private property and I know the state can't weed out all the idiots with the test they take for their license.I still have mine from the 80's and don't think the test has changed that much.maybe a full psychological battery would weed them out but this country already has too much of that crap as far as I'm concerned.I may pay for it someday but I don't do the blaze orange thing,I'll just put on my ghillie and they'll think I'm a bush,worst they'll do then is pee on me:-0
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
i have quit dragging my knuckles and now stand upright.

:rofl: You kill me Al, you really do.

PS: nice ride George. In 1970-84 I had my 70 VW bug, and I used that for the pines the entire time. Nothing will keep me out of these woods. If all I had was a Rolls, you'd see me at Quaker Bridge some day.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott
I have been told by hunters repeatedly that I should be wearing blaze orange and have even been threatened with the law.

shotgun season,the whole attitude of the gun clubs down here anyway is they own the woods thats week.Thats the only week of the year most of them are in the woods but Al

You only need the blaze when hunting Al.
Jersey allows just a hat too whereas states like PA., require chest, back and head. (vest and hat)
Here is a list of all the state's rules.
http://www.ihea.com/hunter-education/hunter-orange-requirements.php
Still quite a few that have it as "strongly recommended"

Shotgun week down here is disappointing for a lone hunter like myself and I usually just go out opening morning only, before the orange armys settle in for the week and stake their claims to Wharton.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

Scott

Your right about the remoteness of getting caught in a drive in the Barrens but down here in the millville (bevan) wma it's another story.If you go out in the woods on the six day season around here you are very likely to get caught in a drive if you don't pay attention and confrontations with hunters are quite frequent.So many people down here cramming into smaller blocks of woods.Last i knew bevan had the highest density of deer per sq mi then anywhere else in the state.it's nothing but a big deer farm.peaslees isn't quite as bad but there is a lot of driving over there too but the woods are bigger with more swamps and nasty thick places.I try to avoid bevan at all costs on the six day season.Did run into some hunters that gave me and whip a small ration about not wearing orange last year east of 206 in the big 82 burn area.whip was surprised i ignored em but i explained I'm tired of explaining myself,when they see me wearing camo they automatically assume I'm hunting and just to dense to wear orange and so stupid i forgot my gun.I let em think that anymore.
Al