Batona Trail

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Shotgun week down here is disappointing for a lone hunter like myself and I usually just go out opening morning only, before the orange armys settle in for the week and stake their claims to Wharton.

I agree, Scott. Sitting in a stand during six-day can be a challenge. I have a couple of stands set up deep in the swamps where I know some of them city boys fear to tread. The swamp deer aren't real big, but at least it's peaceful.

John-

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I agree, Scott. Sitting in a stand during six-day can be a challenge. I have a couple of stands set up deep in the swamps where I know some of them city boys fear to tread. The swamp deer aren't real big, but at least it's peaceful.

John-

ifn you wants real big deer come on down to cumberland county and hunt the deer that live out on the islands in the salt medders.them slat medder deer is some big.all the hay they be eatin and they thinks hunters cain't gits to em and most truthfully are too lazy to bother.If you has a boat or picks yer route real carefully thars a bunch o islands down here with deers that would make potter county pa proud.
flatwoods hillbilly

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
If you are nervous, I would only recommend hunter orange during the 6 day firearm.
That is the one season where all the clubs are out in force and you may have a very, very remote chance of finding yourself in the middle of a drive.
This year that will be December 7 to 12.

Scott

Not so. I have found my self in a drive many times. One you can set your watch by occours on Saturday on Hampton Road between Carranza Road and the ruins. They drive toward the Skit. A bunch of fat old men waddeling around after being driven there in the back of pickup trucks.
I have witnessed drives at the Carranza Memorial on a Saturday. Jeese, you think there might be some non hunters about. They line up on Carranza Road, they could have hit the memorial with a rock, and drove toward the Skit. Hey, isn't the Batona Camp back that way? Don't hikers and equestrians use that road along the Skit? Yes there were hikers and horses about but I guess it seemed safe to them.
They also drive from the back of the outhouse at the Carranza Memorial and across the tracks. Whats a Batona Trail???

And there was the drive on Old Indian Mills Road near the Shamong Diner that drove the deer into Rt 206 and caused an accident.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Not so. I have found my self in a drive many times. One you can set your watch by occours on Saturday on Hampton Road between Carranza Road and the ruins. They drive toward the Skit. A bunch of fat old men waddeling around after being driven there in the back of pickup trucks.
I have witnessed drives at the Carranza Memorial on a Saturday. Jeese, you think there might be some non hunters about. They line up on Carranza Road, they could have hit the memorial with a rock, and drove toward the Skit. Hey, isn't the Batona Camp back that way? Don't hikers and equestrians use that road along the Skit? Yes there were hikers and horses about but I guess it seemed safe to them.
They also drive from the back of the outhouse at the Carranza Memorial and across the tracks. Whats a Batona Trail???

And there was the drive on Old Indian Mills Road near the Shamong Diner that drove the deer into Rt 206 and caused an accident.

driving is about the only thing I'm against as far as hunting goes.I don't think it's very sporting to sit over a bait pile and shoot a hungry deer but if your in it for the meat and not to call yourself a sportsman then get that deer whatever way you can but driving is out and out dangerous,at least it when you have incompetents in the drive.Now I'm just this side of old by I do qualify as a fat man and let it be said that idiots come in all body shapes as well as sensibleness does too so i wouldn't knock them just for being fat but if they smell of alcohol while their holding a loaded gun I automatically label them as idiots and a lot of drivers hit the woods either drunk or hungover from the beer and cards at the club.Is drinking and hunting even against the law? I know your allowed no alcohol on state land but what if it's already in your body when you get there or your on private property?can you hunt drunk? I know many of them do it.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is drinking and hunting even against the law? Al

I've never seen it in the hunting reg's probably because its most likely a law not a reg. The following is from the NJ CO reports web site, I've included a link to the site at the end.

"CO McManus received a call on January 29 at 2030 hours from Hamilton Township Police Department. They had rescued two men from the Crosswicks Creek several hours earlier after they had fallen out of their boat. The two men told the police officers that they had been duck hunting. The men also appeared to be intoxicated and empty beer cans and bottles were found in their boat. Their loaded guns were retrieved from the water was well. The hunters were transported to the hospital for treatment. This area is located within the south zone and had been closed to duck hunting since January 6th. Several days later, the brother of one of the suspects called CO McManus regarding the confiscated guns. According to the man, he loaned both guns to the suspects. The hunters were charged with hunting waterfowl during the closed season, unplugged gun, hunting under the influence, unlawful possession of a firearm, and possession of a loaned firearm without the owner present. Additionally, the boat owner was charged with operation of a boat under the influence. The brother who had loaned the guns was also charged with loaning a firearm without being present."

http://www.njcoa.com/