batona trail?

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
WOW 61 times i thought 2 was alot. LOL great job!
i'm leaving to hike it tomorrow north bound, but i ain't going to try it blindfolded LOL

Well after what's been a fairly cool spring it looks like you're going to catch some warm weather this weekend.

Are you planning on doing it in three days? If you're going to be in the Batona Camp area on Sunday night and I can slip away from my family undetected (LOL) I'll stop by and say hi.

Good luck. The trail might still be a little wetter than usual from all the rain/snow we had the past few months. I can testify to the fact that the Batona Trail could practically be kayaked in March.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Well after what's been a fairly cool spring it looks like you're going to catch some warm weather this weekend.

Are you planning on doing it in three days? If you're going to be in the Batona Camp area on Sunday night and I can slip away from my family undetected (LOL) I'll stop by and say hi.

Good luck. The trail might still be a little wetter than usual from all the rain/snow we had the past few months. I can testify to the fact that the Batona Trail could practically be kayaked in March.
two days. staying at lower forage. will be at batona about 9am sunday. hope to meet you on the trail some day :)

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
two days. staying at lower forage. will be at batona about 9am sunday. hope to meet you on the trail some day :)

Two days is good. It's not easy following one 25 mile day with another 25 mile day, even on flat ground with a light pack.

So if you leave Bass River at 9am Sunday, that'll put you at Lower Forge around 6pm or so. Hmmm...if I can push back my Monday job to Tuesday, I might be able to hike out of Batsto early Sunday afternoon and overnight at Lower Forge.

Although I had a bad experience the last time I was at Lower Forge. There was an older couple there and they started spitting at me, cursing at me and telling me to get the hell out of there. The man even threatened to lynch me. Well I'll tell you what, that's the last damn time I'm meeting my parents out there for a BBQ. LOL:rofl:

mossberg

Apr 25, 2010
I'm thinkin about headin out early Monday and parking and starting by the fire tower and taking the batona to pakim pond then taking the cranberry trail back. Based on the maps it seems like it will work any oneagree? Or have any other ideas for a good day hike

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I'm thinkin about headin out early Monday and parking and starting by the fire tower and taking the batona to pakim pond then taking the cranberry trail back. Based on the maps it seems like it will work any oneagree? Or have any other ideas for a good day hike

If you're comfortable walking 13-14 miles for a day hike, I think the best circuit hike on the whole Batona Trail is from the Batsto parking lot to Quaker Bridge. You can take the Batona Trail to Quaker Bridge and follow the Mullica River back, or vice-versa. That is a much more scenic route than the route you're considering. If you want to see Apple Pie Fire Tower, you can park on Route 532 where the Batona Trail crosses over it. From Route 532 Apple Pie Fire Tower is only a one mile walk south down the Batona Trail. You can also drive directly to Apple pie fire Tower.

mossberg

Apr 25, 2010
Damn that map is deceiving I was thinking it was more like 8 or 9....hmmm now what? Any 8 or 9 mile loop hikes?

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Damn that map is deceiving I was thinking it was more like 8 or 9....hmmm now what? Any 8 or 9 mile loop hikes?

There are a whole bunch of routes you can follow between Ong's Hat and the Brendan Byrne State Park office that will give you an 8-9 mile loop hike, but I'm not confident I can accurately describe every turn you need to make without getting you lost. If you happen to have a GPS, you can set a waypoint for both Ong's Hat and the Brendan Byrne Park office and just head out on the dirt roads and start exploring. You can also get an aerial view of the area on Google Earth.

You can do a 6 mile loop hike between the Brendan Byrne Park office and Pakim Pond using the Batona Trail and the Cranberry Trail (Red Blazed)

There is also the Mt Misery Trail located near Pakim Pond. That is a loop hike. If my memory serves me correctly, it's around 9 miles.