Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
November 8, 2010
Bats still dying in N.J.
By JAMES M. O'NEILL
Associated Press

The catastrophic drop in the little brown bat population is worsening, with the numbers down 50 percent from last summer and 80 percent from 2008, according to the results of New Jersey's annual summer bat count.
The dramatic declines are due to a fungus that attacks the bats during their winter hibernation in caves and abandoned mines. The outbreak is called white-nose syndrome for a white fuzz the fungus produces on the nose, ears and wing membranes of infected bats.
"It's definitely worsening," said MacKenzie Hall, a Conserve Wildlife Foundation biologist who runs the summer bat count for the state.
At several summer roost sites in Mahwah, Bergen County, for instance, populations dropped by 47 percent to 100 percent from the historical average. One site that used to have 139 bats had none this year.
New Jersey officials have estimated an overall 90 percent decline in the state's hibernating bat population.
Last winter, when Mick Valent, principal zoologist with the state's Endangered and Non-game Species Program, visited Morris County's Hibernia Mine, he found only about 1,700 bats alive, in a hibernation spot that historically housed 30,000.
"Some scientists are projecting the likelihood of the complete loss of a functioning population of little brown bats within the next 16 to 20 years," said Jeremy Coleman, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's national white-nose syndrome coordinator. "This is unprecedented. We've never seen a decline in a species equal to this aside from those caused by human intervention, such as with the American bison."
The declines in New Jersey mirror death rates elsewhere.
The fungus has killed more than a million bats of six different species in 12 states and two Canadian provinces, and some experts believe the number is far higher, as much as 1.5 million dead. The fungus was first discovered in a cave near Albany, N.Y., in 2007 and now has spread as far west as Oklahoma.
"It's spreading across the country faster than scientists thought," said DeeAnn Reeder, a Bucknell University biologist who is studying the outbreak. "We're all behind."
The little brown bat species is the hardest hit in New Jersey and elsewhere.
The widespread loss of bats has potential ramifications for humans, since bats consume huge quantities of bugs, including insects that damage crops or carry West Nile and other potentially fatal diseases.
Scientists think humans who visit caves may inadvertently spread the fungus from cave to cave. To try and halt the spread, government agencies across the country have been closing access to caves and abandoned mines.
"People are getting desperate to do something," Reeder said.
In New Jersey, the Conserve Wildlife Foundation has teamed with owners of 15 forest areas in the northwestern part of the state to create more habitat for bats.
One endangered species, the Indiana bat, roosts in summer under the loose bark of dead trees and switches roosts every few days.
"A lot of New Jersey woodlands are under management, so the dead and dying trees are the first to get cut down," Hall said.
The owners of the forested areas in the program will girdle some trees to kill them so they provide more roost sites, or attach cedar shakes and other items to tree trunks to create roost spots, Hall said.
Reeder said she has little faith in finding a treatment option, such as a chemical, that could be successfully applied in the caves. The caves that bats use for hibernation also contain many other living organisms that could be harmed by whatever might kill off the fungus.
Another option might be to raise bats in captivity in an artificial chamber where scientists could control temperature, moisture and other factors.
"But that option is labor-intensive and possibly not a good long-term fix," Coleman said.
Some bat species, such as the big brown bat, are less vulnerable to the fungus, perhaps because of their hibernation behavior, said Reeder.
Unlike little brown bats, big brown bats go into hibernation later and emerge earlier, providing less time for the fungus to grow. In addition, big brown bats tend to hibernate in the coldest parts of caves, where it is too cold for the fungus to thrive, Reeder said.
If researchers can somehow lower the temperature of a cave using tubes that force cold air in, it could improve survival chances for little brown bats, she theorizes. "But I'm not sure whether that would be a good option or even possible."
European bats have managed to survive despite the presence of white-nose syndrome there for three decades.
Experts think human spelunkers somehow transported the fungus from a European cave to one in North America by carrying the fungus spores on their clothing. The result has been something similar to what occurred when European explorers arrived in America and spread smallpox to Native American tribes that had no resistance to the disease.
"No one has seen anything like this," Reeder said. "This fungus has found the Achilles heel of bats. They have no immune system to combat a cold-loving fungus when they are hibernating in the cold of caves and mines.
"You can go into a cave and see a thousand bats completely affected by the fungus," Reeder said. "And meanwhile you're crawling on bat carcasses, and the smell is overwhelming. It's incredibly depressing."
Coleman agreed.
"The little brown bat is the most common bat in North America. Their disappearance would be similar to suddenly losing gray squirrels or robins," he said.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
as a semi retired caver and still a member of the NSS I can say theis WNS has really put a cramp in caving in the northeast and most of the country as well.All national forest caves are officially closed in most eastern states and crazy decontamination standards of gear make it impractical to do more then one cave per trip without multiple sets of gear.They do not even know yet how this stuff spreads but they are coming to the conclusion that the bats themselves are spreading it from cave to cave and not cavers so it looks as if this will run it's course regardless of the self denying of the caving community.they have even closed caves with no bat populations.I think what we will see is a crash of bat populations but of course some will be immune and survive and we will end up with WNS immune strains of bats that will take perhaps a century.Of course they will still be bats:)
I love bats and will refrain from multiple trips on the same trip to multiple bat caves but cannot figure how visiting non bat caves can hurt?Of course till I find myslef in better shape my caving days are done anyway.
I know a room in a ny cave that once had 4000 bats in it during the winter.I wonder if that room is empty now?haven't been there in 20 years.
Al
Ps I am a caver,not a spelunker.
the difference?
cavers rescue spelunkers.
"of course I just crawled out from under a rock,I'm a caver"
"Of course I know my butt from a hole in the ground,I'm a caver"

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Al, as a caver also, we went as far as Kentucky to go caving and were still on the fringe of the WNS a year ago. At this point, you could go into the caves and had to make sure your ropes and gear were "washed".

From what I hae been made to understand, the bigest spread is from cross contamination, mainly by humans but also attributed to the bats winding up in different caves, which doesn't happen that often. A dear friend of mine, Indy, is a premier caver in the MD area (he wrote a book or two, lol). I will reach out to him and get the "inside scoop". hehe... Will post in a day or so....

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I sent Indy a message and got his reply this morning.... With his permission I am quoting it here...

"Hi, Maureen! The disease (or whatever it is) is alive and well and has spread as far as Oklahoma as of earlier this year. :-( Huge jump that can only be attributed to human carriers. And it's crossed species out there into the grey bat population. Caves and cavers in the Western States are really really unhappy about it. :-( And I know on Federally managed lands in a number of states cave access is being restricted or closed. Private cave owners, however, still call their own shots.

Here's the main website I've been using to keep tabs on things (in addition to a mailing list, but they almost always refer to this website for posted updates) - http://www.fws.gov/whitenosesyndrome/

That said, if one is following the currently approved decon procedures, one can still go caving. Though I think there is still some concern and question about what is used in the decon procedure and its effect on vertical gear (rope, webbing anchors, etc). Unofficially in WV I heard earlier this summer that if you were caving in a particular valley, as long as you did not cave elsewhere, you could continue caving in that valley. I would imagine this unofficial stance applies to other valleys up/down the Appalachians. Given this, I've done a revisit to Bowden Cave, as that was the last cave I visited before WNS hit WV. I currently am staying away from other caves in the region. :-/

And that's about what I know. :-/ The science types who are studying this syndrome still don't *really* know what it is. They are leaning towards it being the fungus itself, and not that the fungus is an opportunity invader. There is also strong speculation that someone brought it over from Europe after going into caves there and not cleaning their gear/clothes, and visiting caves here (specifically the one up in NY, where it all started). "

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Gipsie.
I've been to Bowden and in virtually all the 20 some entrances of Bickle Hollow.tried to due a cross over form the main bowden entrance and come out bear heaven entrance but couldn';t find it and had to exit back out the main entrance.I found out later that for that very reason most trips are done from bear heaven down to the main entrance.
Have you ever been to Two Lick Run cave? Not much of a cave but an awesome entrance with a 20 ft waterfall dropping into it high on the west flank of McGowan mountain.Has a few bats in it to,or at least to.
Is that your main caving area,Randolph county ?or do you range up and down the limestone exposures from Monroe to Grant?
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Hey Al! That was my first experience caving in WV/KY. I have been dying to head back down and do some more exploration of the Bowden cave system, but haven't had the time lately. I do know that they tried to dynamite a route from the Bowden entrance to the Bear Heaven entrance but never completed it. I'll have to ask Indy why.

I belonged to a grotto in NY and did most of my caving in Albany County and parts of New England. Ever been?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have never been caving in new england though I have been all through it.I cut my caving teeth in a cave in NY named Surprise or Mystery depending on the grotto your from.I used to be in the central jersey grotto and they called it surprise.New yorkers call it mystery.The cave is now gated and controlled by the caving elite,namely the MET grotto.if your not in the grotto your not fit to be in it I take it.Used to be 4000 bats in the bat room.Doubt their is now.
from there I moved to bigger caves in wv.Bowden is a 4 plus mile system.the further south you go the thicker the limestone exposures get and the longer the caves.friars hole system is the largest in wv at the moment and is over 40 miles long on the greenbrier/pocahontas border.I've been in several entrances but the cave is mostly vertical to access and I have never learned vertical techniques.
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Vertical access is my thing, hehe! We use a RAD system (grigri, ascender and etrier) and the rappel is great! Up sucks, however..... As a caver, you should probably learn at least RAD, it allows so much more access to places. In the cave below, we found a ledge with a 20 foot drop beyond it. With our gear we were able to go past the drop and find another 200 feet of uncharted territory (at least to us). And some cool bones and the poor little snake....

Mystery cave is cool...a great place to cut your caving teeth... I love the Cobleskill/Secret Caverns area!

long way up.jpgfinally got a place for my feet.jpgcool.jpga little further.jpgDSCN0103.JPG

http://www.facebook.com/#

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
your right Gipsie,I should know vertical but outside of a basic body rappel that i taught myself by climbing a tree,tieing a rope to a limb and wrapping the rope around myself correctly(thank God) and falling off the limb I have never learned any of it because i don't happen to live in an area where i had easy access to cliffs and people that caved.I never had the money to go to WV more then a few times a year and never had more then weekends off except vacation so it was never worth it to try and get involved with a Grotto out that way because I would never be able to attend and my one and only caving buddy retired from the sport about the time I got into it which was predominantly my fault I guess being I am the one who drug him out of a hole long enough to introduce him to WV topside and hence lost the only caver I knew with more experience then myself.I drug neophytes into caves from time to time but was afraid to ge too risky knowing i was the only one with any experience at all.
Do you ever do wetsuit stuff? I know a little nasty in wv that hasn't been pushed to an end in the back and probably hasn't seen anyone in the back for ages.I'm too big to fit now but if I was in shape would love to tackle the wet,tight nasty beast and see the supposedly never before photographed pretties in memory lane in the back of the cave.Thats why it's Memory Lane,never been photoed.
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Never did wetsuit stuff, but would love to give it a shot some day. Always up for a new challenge, lol.

I don't have a lot of access to caves and stuff either but there are plenty of places within a couple of hours of here to practice climbing and rappelling. I am predominately a rock climber and go up to Allamuchy in North Jersey as often as I can. I escaped the first snow storm last year by heading up there and rock climbing. It was very cold though and a little stupid because my hands were frozen by the time I was done, hehe. I will probably take the winter off from climbing this year, I must be getting old(er).

I have taught a few South Jerseyans how to climb and rappel and the place to learn is trees. You can run a rope on a high enough branch and it is great practice in using the equipment. Gets you ready for the rocks. The only downfall is that when friends see that you can climb, they all of a sudden want those trees in their yard that have been needing taking down, taken down. I could start a business.

If you ever want a little practice, let me know. I go out a couple of times a month to the trees with a small group of friends and we always welcome new climbers. And you could learn the ropes so to speak.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
You guys are braver than me. I worked as an arborist for a while, so I could deal with the rope work but not the caving. Maybe it’s a touch of claustrophobia or being spooked as a kid reading about Tom Sawyer being lost in the cave, but the idea of going into a cave beyond sight of the entrance gives me the willies.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
...and my one and only caving buddy retired from the sport about the time I got into it which was predominantly my fault I guess being I am the one who drug him out of a hole long enough to introduce him to WV topside and hence lost the only caver I knew with more experience then myself...
Al

Sorry, Charlie. :)

Alfie and I met in a cave, in New York, though we lived only a few miles apart here in South Jersey. We were both crawling a muddy passage in the back of the cave and came face to face. "Hey! Mind if I take your picture, Stranger?" The rest is history.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Sorry, Charlie. :)

Alfie and I met in a cave, in New York, though we lived only a few miles apart here in South Jersey. We were both crawling a muddy passage in the back of the cave and came face to face. "Hey! Mind if I take your picture, Stranger?" The rest is history.

Yes an ever since you saw me roll of a ledge and drop ten ft and land on my back and get nary a scratch on me you will not go caving with me anymore.I showed you my feet are not hairy therefore I am no Hodag.It was just a slight of body trick.
I am going to see if I can get the governor to k the strip mining of the rest of wv.If we make it ugly maybe I can get you back underground.
Alfie

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Never did wetsuit stuff, but would love to give it a shot some day. Always up for a new challenge, lol.

I don't have a lot of access to caves and stuff either but there are plenty of places within a couple of hours of here to practice climbing and rappelling. I am predominately a rock climber and go up to Allamuchy in North Jersey as often as I can. I escaped the first snow storm last year by heading up there and rock climbing. It was very cold though and a little stupid because my hands were frozen by the time I was done, hehe. I will probably take the winter off from climbing this year, I must be getting old(er).

I have taught a few South Jerseyans how to climb and rappel and the place to learn is trees. You can run a rope on a high enough branch and it is great practice in using the equipment. Gets you ready for the rocks. The only downfall is that when friends see that you can climb, they all of a sudden want those trees in their yard that have been needing taking down, taken down. I could start a business.

If you ever want a little practice, let me know. I go out a couple of times a month to the trees with a small group of friends and we always welcome new climbers. And you could learn the ropes so to speak.

would love to learn some vertical.would definitely open up some more caves to me,problem is I'm working shiftwork and never have off when everyone else does.I'm seeing about a new job monday,if i get it I'll have some weekends off.keep me posted on when your doing vertical training and if I can I'll show up.
The Monster Room is west virginias largest room and is in Friras Hole but you either need to do I believe four short pitches and you can get there in three hours or you can get there without vertical but it's like a 12 hour trip each way.I believe the rooms dimensions are 600 by 400 by 200 ft and it has a 100 ft high waterfall pouring in at one end.would love to see it but need to know my ropes:) is Bluewater kernmantle still the rope of choice? been out of the loop for awhile.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I sent Indy a message and got his reply this morning.... With his permission I am quoting it here...

"Hi, Maureen! The disease (or whatever it is) is alive and well and has spread as far as Oklahoma as of earlier this year. :-( Huge jump that can only be attributed to human carriers. And it's crossed species out there into the grey bat population. Caves and cavers in the Western States are really really unhappy about it. :-( And I know on Federally managed lands in a number of states cave access is being restricted or closed. Private cave owners, however, still call their own shots.

Here's the main website I've been using to keep tabs on things (in addition to a mailing list, but they almost always refer to this website for posted updates) - http://www.fws.gov/whitenosesyndrome/

That said, if one is following the currently approved decon procedures, one can still go caving. Though I think there is still some concern and question about what is used in the decon procedure and its effect on vertical gear (rope, webbing anchors, etc). Unofficially in WV I heard earlier this summer that if you were caving in a particular valley, as long as you did not cave elsewhere, you could continue caving in that valley. I would imagine this unofficial stance applies to other valleys up/down the Appalachians. Given this, I've done a revisit to Bowden Cave, as that was the last cave I visited before WNS hit WV. I currently am staying away from other caves in the region. :-/

And that's about what I know. :-/ The science types who are studying this syndrome still don't *really* know what it is. They are leaning towards it being the fungus itself, and not that the fungus is an opportunity invader. There is also strong speculation that someone brought it over from Europe after going into caves there and not cleaning their gear/clothes, and visiting caves here (specifically the one up in NY, where it all started). "

how has wns effected the bats in europe? have they developed immunity to it or is the bat population there decimated?
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You guys are braver than me. I worked as an arborist for a while, so I could deal with the rope work but not the caving. Maybe it’s a touch of claustrophobia or being spooked as a kid reading about Tom Sawyer being lost in the cave, but the idea of going into a cave beyond sight of the entrance gives me the willies.

German,
Caving separates the men from the boys.believe me it's true,I can no longer fit in many places I used to as a boy and would be left behind by them now:-(
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
WNS in Europe is definitely there, some say it originated in Europe because they are not dying there as they are here. They coevolved with the disease. An interesting quote about the syndrome from the CDC:

Abstract
White-nose syndrome is an emerging disease in North America that has caused substantial declines in hibernating bats. A recently identified fungus (Geomyces destructans) causes skin lesions that are characteristic of this disease. Typical signs of this infection were not observed in bats in North America before white-nose syndrome was detected. However, unconfirmed reports from Europe indicated white fungal growth on hibernating bats without associated deaths. To investigate these differences, hibernating bats were sampled in Germany, Switzerland, and Hungary to determine whether G. destructans is present in Europe. Microscopic observations, fungal culture, and genetic analyses of 43 samples from 23 bats indicated that 21 bats of 5 species in 3 countries were colonized by G. destructans. We hypothesize that G. destructans is present throughout Europe and that bats in Europe may be more immunologically or behaviorally resistant to G. destructans than their congeners in North America because they potentially coevolved with the fungus.

And some great sites with info and/or opinions....

http://www.fort.usgs.gov/wns/

http://theinfinitesphere.blogspot.com/2010/11/wns-in-europe.html

http://mycorant.com/does-europe-hold-the-key-to-wns/