Bats still dying in N.J.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Bat researchers and rehabilitators are cautiously optimistic that the population of small brown bats that hibernate in the Hibernia Mine, New Jersey’s largest hibernaculum, is stabilizing after the devastation caused by White-Nose Syndrome.
On Thursday at dusk, 17 bats that had been banded for tracking were released back into the Wildcat Ridge Bat Cave property in Hibernia.
Mick Valent, principal researcher with the state’s Endangered and Non-game Species Program, said the bats’ immune system may have become more effective at fighting Geomyces destructans, the cold-loving fungus that can severely damage bats’ wings and force them out of hibernation early.
In 2010, Valent reported the fungus had claimed 90 percent of the mine’s hibernating bats, decreasing the population from 27,000 in 2008 to 1,753.

http://www.app.com/article/20120422...gus-strike?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think WNS is like pine beetles.Going to have to run it's course.Meanwhile we have the wholesale closure of all federally owned caves in WV to stop a disease no one is sure how it spreads. I'm glad people don't spread pine beetles or we would be banned from the barrens too.I guess it's just because humans are so unnatural.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Meanwhile we have the wholesale closure of all federally owned caves in WV to stop a disease no one is sure how it spreads. I'm glad people don't spread pine beetles or we would be banned from the barrens too.I guess it's just because humans are so unnatural.

Research done last year determined the manner in which it spreads. The actions taken seem pretty prudent given what was found from the research.

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/111026/full/news.2011.613.html

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'll still cave
I see that it is bat to bat which I figured anyway.We can't stop that now can we? I have no problem with staying out of any certain cave part of the year such as summer if it is a maternity cave or winter if a hibernaculum but the wholesale year round closure of caves on public property is BS.I understand they are even trying to tell private land owners what they can do with their caves from what I've read in the NSS last week.There is "Fungus Amongus" I'll try and stay out of the "Bat Cave" Robin but I'm headed to Wet Virginia (as opposed to Dry Virginia) in august and I hear a mile long through cave complete with underground river calling my name.Never seen a bat in it yet but I took a real cold unintended plunge in a seven ft deep pool once.You know carbide lamps don't work well underwater.Did you ever go swimming with the lights out?and I mean out!