Batsto: A Town Without Inhabitants

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
From the St. Louis Globe-Democrat (St. Louis, Missouri), Saturday, January 23, 1886; pg. 3; Issue 245:

A Town Without Inhabitants​
Special Dispatch to the Globe-Democrat​

PHILADELPHIA, PA - January 22. -- The town of Batsto, in Burlington County, N.J. which is largely owned by a Philadelphia capitalist, is in somewhat of a quandary from the fact that all of the officials of the township, with the exception of one, who is of minor importance, have moved to other localities. Joseph Wharton, the wealthy manufacturer, has suspended all operations at the industrial establishments of the place, and there being no occupations for the people they were compelled to go elsewhere. The result has been that the Assessor, the Tax Collector, the Constable and the members of the Township Committee abandoned their offices which are now vacant. The town can pride itself, however, with having one office-holder left -- the Pound-keeper -- who, owing to the scarcity of cattle in the place is never called upon to exercise his functions. There being now neither Assessor nor Collector, no tax levy has been made for the past year, not have any taxes been paid into the County Treasury, as the law requires. The matter is giving the county officials considerable trouble.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Ben, during that time a large portion of the the north and eastern part of the township became Randolph Township (early 1870s-mid 1890s..... ?) That essentially left the town of Batsto and a couple of other small hamlets forming the largest portion of Washington Township. If JW had suspended all operations at Batsto, compelling the inhabitants to seek work elsewhere, than I guess that would explain the loss of township committee.... thanks for sharing the article.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
The first saturday of every month is volunteer workday and I help with the upkeep of the village. I don't think anyone showed up for the tour today. Our next event is a moonlight walk on Jan.26 which I may be the leader on.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
That sucks. If I didn't have the Wharton thing today Whitesbog was going to be it today. Beautiful day today for exploring. Hope today is nice. Would like to get out some more. Keep us posted on the hikes. That is a sin.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Every saturday nearest to the full moon there is a hike at Whitesbog. We start in the village and go out to the bogs, usually 3-5 miles. Usually a little history and a little nature (night time frog and bird calls). Mostly just a nice night time walk.

Reactions: AndyParker856nj

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Ooooh. Yea I see the event for the 9th, but nothing else really on the calendar. Trust me on my bucket list. I've been going out more and more. I can't keep up with the writing. Still backed up from writing October's adventures. However, I do get out at least 3 times a week to check out sites/places. I can't wait to check this place out since I have heard nothing but rave reviews. Thanks, Oji. I appreciate the info. I checked out the site AND bookmarked it.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Every saturday nearest to the full moon there is a hike at Whitesbog. We start in the village and go out to the bogs, usually 3-5 miles. Usually a little history and a little nature (night time frog and bird calls). Mostly just a nice night time walk.

Cutting it too close this time as I have not checked in for a bit, I will keep this in mind for the next go.
Lately I have only been able to take very short evening walks occasionally but the moonlit ones are a treat.

By the way... hey all.

g

Reactions: Ben Ruset

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Look what the wind blew in! Good to see you, Largo.

Yep, blew me in like a pungent smell from the stables behind me.
Hey Gabe, yes I am out there. Lots of life stuff going on man. I expect to see you at Lines though.
A good paddle down a stream or river is just around the bend for me. Been awhile.

g

There are birds, and sticks, and trees - Jason