Batsto Country Living Fair 2011 is Cancelled

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
It is a shame so much was destroyed in that storm and now so many events are suffering from it. Right now the only way to get in between those two Rt. 542 bridges at Batsto is to drive from Quaker Bridge or walk. It seems like they will be closed for a while as I haven't seen any work going on there besides the small patch of pavement that was fixed in 542 right near the Batsto River Bridge. The Pleasant Mills culvert and bridge is a debacle. Here's the link to the AC Press article about what's going on there.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_ec1fe4ba-e8a7-11e0-ab5f-001cc4c002e0.html

Rt. 693 near the Hammonton airport was only partially blocked for a little while, then they hammered in guard rails right across the road, and I haven't been back since.

The Weymouth Deep Run bridge is really bad. I was told someone actually pulled the plug on the water filled blockades, then went to drive through while the water was still up and put the nose of their vehicle right into the hole. There were scrapes and drag marks on the road that looked like it was from a tow truck pulling the vehicle out.

With so much damage at once I think it's going to be a while, possibly in 2012 when the new budgets come out before things are fixed.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The damage here is truly unfortunate and with governments financial problems it will probably be awhile until its remedied. But we should count our blessings when compared to other areas. The link is to the damage done in VT, and this is a month after the storm. My SIL's landlord lives in Killington; she was stuck in her house for 3 weeks, no phone or electric. Some of her neighbors no longer have homes. It is similar in some areas of NY. And they just had rain. Can you just imagine what it would be like here if a cat 2 or higher hit us dead-on?

http://crisislanding.appspot.com/?crisis=2011_flooding_vermont

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I bet Vermont has done more to their roads and bridges than we see here in NJ.

Guy

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I took a trip to the cutoff part of Batsto to see what the damage was like to Constables Bridge. It looked like that bridge was washed out on either side and they've since fixed it. Rockwood is still washed out pretty good.

I agree, we really didn't see too much damage here in South Jersey compared to other areas. I was following the news on the areas in Vermont and what happened there is just a mess.

What they should do is hook up a couple of Bailey Bridges like the one at Quaker Bridge and put those in until they figure out what they want to do as far as bridge reconstruction goes.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I wonder if it would have been an option to move the event, just for the year, to somewhere in Lebanon SF. Sure, you wouldn't have had Batsto Village, but it seems like everyone goes for the vendors and the displays anyway.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if it would have been an option to move the event, just for the year, to somewhere in Lebanon SF. Sure, you wouldn't have had Batsto Village, but it seems like everyone goes for the vendors and the displays anyway.

That basically is what Chatsworth is and that is the same day. If anyone needs a fix they can go there.

I think that if what we are all hearing is correct, the state needs to step up to the plate and fix the bridges. They waste money on so many other things so why not do the right thing for once and lets move on. I am sure the people in that area who are financially hurting from this are looking at their pay stub or tax bill and wondering why they are paying taxes.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Plus they don't have the antique engines, which is why I go.

Yeppers to that!

2958247062_e7e2f8fa39.jpg

Not to mention the kettle corn!

Or the hot almonds ;)

I don't bother with Chatsworth anymore, it has become just a tourist trap with a traffic jam. All these years and I've yet to see any progress on the White Horse Inn.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
That is sad Ben. We look forward to it every year.

For anyone interested, the Smithville Octoberfest is this weekend. We go for the nice motorcycle ride and the Becks Octoberfest availble at the beer wagons !
They still have all those vendors and beer wagons if it rains? Got nothing else going on today. Definately too wet for my bike tho.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Sun is out here, don't know for how long though. We're headed to Millville, if the rain restarts we'll divert to Forsythe NWR :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We diverted from the trip to Millville to head over to Forsythe, the weather was too nice :) Took the back way around Smithville trying to avoid the Oktoberfest traffic, still quite a bit of cars though. Glad we changed plans, got a double Eagle having a snack in a vacated Osprey nest. :D AC sure is ugly.

large.jpg