Batsto flood

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Well it rained last noght in Tabernacle. The TV said 13.2 inches. We're dry because we're on a hill, but when I took a ride I saw where the water went.

We first tried to get to the Carranza Memorial by Carranza Rd, but the bridge at the Thunking Mill was flooded over deep. We tried to get there by Hampton Furnace but it was flooded also.

The canoe launch at Hampton Furnace:

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/forums...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I couldn't even get near the bridge over the Batsto, so off we went to see the Rail Road bridge:

You should have heard it!

Then on to Quaker Bridge:

It was still rising at Quaker Bridge at 2:00 PM.

The interesting thing is that the Mullica hardly budged. I'll check out the Wading tomorrow.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great photo's Ed. That water is mighty close to the RR bridge!! Did you know those people?

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bamber dam is roaring. I suspect we got at least 6 inches. I was in my workplace at Lakehurst last night and the rain came down in windswept sheets for 2 hours straight. I think Lakehurst probably received over 8 inches.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
At 4:30 this morning I tried to drive along the Cooper River to work, and it was really flooded. I was forced to find an alternate route and got lost in a development with all dead ends and right turns only. I drove around in circles for ten minutes before I was able to recover and get into the area from route 70.

Here is what Cooper River Park looked like from the air.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/galleries/flood071304/images/07.jpg

Guy

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I heard that there was some dam that broke in Burlington County, and that's why there was a lot of flooding problems. Confirm/deny?

Red Lion Circle to Four Mile Circle was closed, Rte 70 to Budd closed,
two dams/bridges in Medford and two in Medford Lakes washed out and Vincentown was evacuated.
I did get to spend the day out in the pines because of plant class yesterday, we were very late starting because so many people had to find alternate ways to get there.
Renee

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We met those boys at Hampton Furnace. There were 5, taking pictures so I asked them if they had seen the RR bridge. They weren't aware of it, so off we went. It turns out Marianne taught one of them years ago.

Alot of damns burst. The big one was at Liesure Town, when that went it took out Rt 70. Also damns at the 2 camps on Stokes road, don't ask me to spell them.

I'll be going out later today to see how much of Hampton Furnace washed away.

Ed

B

bach2yoga

from today's courier post

Region escapes fatalities

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

By JASON NARK and JIM WALSH
Courier-Post Staff

Flooding from a deluge described as a "1,000-year storm" washed out dams and bridges, swamped neighborhoods and forced more than 700 people from homes across South Jersey, officials said Tuesday.

"It's a mess," said Freeholder-Director Vincent Farias in Burlington County, where the storm hit hardest. "But thank goodness we have had no reports of fatalities or serious injuries."

Officials said 760 residents were rescued and evacuated from homes in the county, including some people plucked from rooftops and almost all residents of Vincentown. Up to 200 homes were thought to be seriously damaged.

More than 15 major roads remained at least partially closed Tuesday, and a Route 70 bridge was out near Leisuretowne in Southampton.

And residents were warned not to flush toilets in Medford Lakes, where a power outage closed the sewerage plant.

More weather woes may be on the way.

Potentially torrential storms could hit parts of South Jersey today, this time accompanied by punishing winds and hail, according to the National Weather Service.

After Monday's soaking, any additional rain is likely to cause more flooding, the Weather Service said.

"It won't take very strong winds to bring down trees because of the saturated conditions," the agency noted in a statement. "Downed trees will bring down power lines and many people could be without power late Wednesday."

"Any heavy rains will be localized," said Greg Petridis, a Weather Service meteorologist in Westampton. "Most people will get thunderstorms, but some areas could get dumped on pretty good."

Monday's record-breaking storm dumped a whopping 13.2 inches of rain on Tabernacle, more than three times the monthly average of about four inches. That qualified as a once-in-a-1,000-years storm, the Weather Service said.

Rainfall totaled 7.9 inches in Cherry Hill, 6.27 inches in Mount Laurel and 6.14 inches in West Deptford, the Weather Service said.

The storm's financial toll was not yet known.

Gov. James E. McGreevey flew into Medford by helicopter Tuesday morning to declare a state of emergency. Later, U.S. Rep. Jim Saxton, R-Mount Holly, said he had asked President Bush to declare the county a disaster area.

"We have not seen devastation like this in years," said Saxton.

The promises of aid seemed little consolation for those who lost homes, automobiles, and personal belongings.

"We left with the clothes on our backs," said Sandy Tams of Mount Laurel, who was taken by boat from her home with her husband and two children about 1 a.m.

"It's just devastating. It's like a bomb hit the area," said Paul Zetts Sr. of Medford Lakes, who said the storm swept away three boats and a dock at his son's lakefront home, also in Medford Lakes.

The storm's impact was most damaging near the Rancocas Creek's southwest branch, where floodwaters overwhelmed dams in the Medford/Medford Lakes area, said Kevin Tuno, Burlington County's emergency management coordinator. The stream was falling Tuesday.

Another branch of the creek, in the Pemberton Township area, was still rising Tuesday as the Weather Service forecast "record flooding." The branch was expected to crest near 4.3 feet early this morning, which would break a record of 4.2 feet set in 1939.

A flood warning for Burlington County was first posted shortly after midnight Tuesday, said Joe Miketta, a Weather Service meteorologist.

"We knew the potential was there for heavy rain, but the amount of rain we got was far above average," he said. "Two or three inches is not unusual in the summertime, but 10 inches is a whole 'nother story."

In Camden County, the Cooper River crested at 6.27 feet at midnight Tuesday, shattering the record of 5.5 feet set in August 1971. That closed several nearby roads, including Park Boulevard and North Park Drive.

"Nothing we could do about it except watch and wait," said Camden County Park Police Chief James Weist. "I guess it could have been a lot worse."

On Tuesday morning, the Cooper's waters filled the driveway outside the Collingswood home of Samuel Devedjian, 75.

"Whaddaya gonna do?" asked Devedjian, standing knee-deep in water outside his home on Browning Road near South Park Drive. "You can't fight water."

In Cherry Hill, three homes sustained severe structural damage and 13 were evacuated in the Ridings of Fox Run development, police said.

"We're dealing with a lot of road washouts," said Don Elmer, coordinator of the Office of Emergency Management in Camden County. "We have a sinkhole on Route 561 (Haddonfield-Berlin Road in Cherry Hill) that's had it closed since Monday."

Gloucester County experienced only minimal flooding in the usual locations, including Crown Point Road in West Deptford, said Tom Butts, the county's emergency response coordinator.

"We had a lot of rain, but nothing like what they saw in Burlington County," he said.

At one time or another, officials Tuesday closed almost all bridges over streams in about a 30-square-mile area of Burlington County. That included parts of Medford, Medford Lakes, Mount Laurel, Southampton and Tabernacle.

Farias said it could take four to six days to erect a temporary span over Route 70, where the swollen Friendship Creek washed out a state-owned bridge.

In Lumberton, county highway worker Lee Touchque saved nine people from their homes when he drove his dump truck onto a flooded side street of Route 541 Tuesday morning.

"It was just part of my job helping people any way I could," said Touchque, 54, of Delran.

In Vincentown, floodwaters surrounded several fuel oil tanks and four fuel trucks at Allen's Oil and Propane on Main Street. Steve Riddle, a company employee, said the extent of damage will not be known until the waters recede.

"It's never flooded here like this," he said.

Main Street was still flooded late Tuesday with at least four feet of water. Earlier, water had risen to the second floors of some buildings.

Elsewhere in the county, nine horses from Crossbridge Stables off Retreat Road in Southampton were rescued. State Police said said campers were stranded but safe behind flooded roads that led to two YMCA camps - Ockanickon and Matollionequay - in Medford.

In Medford, two schools and the school district's transportation center sheltered more than 100 township residents, including children, the elderly and people with pets, said Schools Superintendent Joseph Del Rossi.

Gym mats were pulled out and refreshments were served. One man who took refuge at Taunton Forge School had to be administered oxygen at the nurse's office, Del Rossi said.

"There is a lot to be concerned with here," said Michael S. Beeman, an official with the Federal Emergency Management Agency who toured flooded communities Tuesday.

"When nature can take a canoe, throw it against a tree and bend it bow to bow - it's a significant force of nature," he said.

MORE HEAVY RAIN EXPECTED TODAY

More heavy rain could hit South Jersey today, accompanied by winds that could topple trees and snap power lines, forecasters say.
Some areas could see "torrential downpours at a rate of two or more inches per hour," said the National Weather Service. The heaviest storms are likely between 2 and 6 p.m.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
It's dependent on the weather

The state will try to erect a temporary bridge so traffic can flow while the actual bridge is replaced. With the ground being saturated; any construction activity will be slow. Depending on the materials the state has, the temp. bridge may need some earthmoving & compaction to make the disturbed soil bear the weight of traffic. It's hard to compact earth that resembles a sponge. I'd think it will be, at least, the weekend before traffic can flow over the temp. bridge.

Friends of mine that live in Medford Lakes had a harrowing experience. They, along with their son and his girlfriend were stopped at the bridge near Medford Lakes Golf Club because there was about a foot or so of water over the bridge. They were out of the car and talking to a police officer when the dam broke. They climbed onto the top of their Lincoln Town Car and thought they would be ok until the car got swept away. They were able to get on the roof of a near by store where they had to wait to be rescued by boat. They came out of it ok but their car was washed all the way to Stokes Rd. A terrifying experience I'm sure but a great story to tell the grand kids.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If not for the loss of the car, that must have been interesting.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It was a Ford - no big loss. :)

Last Sunday Cass and I were driving around Wharton in the Hampton Furnace area. None of the roads even had any mud on them. I can only imagine what they're like now.

I'd love to go driving around now - of course I wouldn't want to go alone. I'd need someone to be able to pull me out if I got stuck.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
It was a Ford - no big loss. :)

Last Sunday Cass and I were driving around Wharton in the Hampton Furnace area. None of the roads even had any mud on them. I can only imagine what they're like now.

I'd love to go driving around now - of course I wouldn't want to go alone. I'd need someone to be able to pull me out if I got stuck.

Maybe a Ford will pull you out. :)

Guy

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
That was some storm nonetheless... I happened to be out driving to get my brother from work during the worst part of it yesterday. It was my first experience with hail too. Definitely a scary experience.