Batsto Outhouses

Oct 14, 2009
Little Egg Harbor
photo(3).PNG
photo(3).PNG
I have been going to Batsto Village for at least 45 years. I love it! We even had a class trip in the 70's and for 35 cents we got to ride the stagecoach. One thing that always amazed me was the big outhouse that sat right alongside the ice house. It was as long as the ice house and had about 6 or 7 "seats", 2 of which were smaller for kids. My brother remembers it and so do I. No one else associated with Batsto, their Citizen's committee, or Wharton knows anything about it. They all look at me like I am crazy when I ask, but it was just so bizarre to me to think of 7 people going to the bathroom at the same time! I tried to find old pictures of Batsto (1970's or earlier) and the best I could do was this painting. Notice the outhouse in the front of the icehouse, to the right of it.
Does anyone have any info on why/when it was taken down? Any pictures? I think they should rebuild it!!!
Also...does anyone have any old maps that show the Village, houses, the steel mill, glass making shop, and the area surrounding it to Pleasant Mills Church? Thanks

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Coppersisters,

The things you remember! Yes, there was a seven-seater right next to the ice house. Yuk. I too remember it on our visits, many with your family. Budd Wilson, Batsto's archeologist, just confirmed the outhouse and its position next to the ice house. He's going to find a picture of it.

S-M

• Love
Reactions: coppersisters
Oct 14, 2009
Little Egg Harbor
Coppersisters,

The things you remember! Yes, there was a seven-seater right next to the ice house. Yuk. I too remember it on our visits, many with your family. Budd Wilson, Batsto's archeologist, just confirmed the outhouse and its position next to the ice house. He's going to find a picture of it.

S-M

Thanks Mark! I knew, if anyone knew...it would be you! I have asked volunteers there, park patrol, BCC....they look at me like I'm crazy. It's one of those wacky things kids would like to see....You think you have it tough? When I was a kid I walked 5 miles in the snow to school and had to poop with the whole family!
I wonder why they took it down and when......anyone else have any pictures?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
OK, so you wonder why they took it down, then argue you're not crazy?! Something about that line, I love the smell of napalm in the morning! Uncle Budd thinks it was moved, then discarded by the 70s.

Oct 14, 2009
Little Egg Harbor
Funny Mark! But it was a piece of history. If you were a worker in the mansion, I'm sure they didn't want them just stepping outside and popping a squat anywhere. When ya gotta go...ya gotta go!

I always think about the whole scene, not just the romantic mansion and how wonderful their life was. They still have the outhouses up for the workers cottages. Now you got me wondering....what did they use for tp? (how's that for a crazy thought? You should hear what I asked the guide at the Jamestown settlement!!!)