Bear sightings....

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
woodjin said:
Switt, wow that is quite a story. I guess the good thing is that your friend wasn't hurt and that his dogs didn't sustain serious injury. Can't blame the dogs, I know dogs have historically been used to hold off bears (polar and grizzly) alowing humans to escape. I'm surprised the black bear didn't run when the dogs came after him (maybe they were on him before he knew what happened).<<<<<<

What actually happened was the fight ended up taking place inside the barn. My friend jumped up onto the tool bench to get away from the fighting. Instead of retreating, the bear ran inside but the dogs were all over him in no time. My friend said that the bear definately had bad intensions because he was turning his head to the side and opening his mouth and growling. The dogs saved him. His dogs are trained to hunt wild pigs like javelina so I guess they must be pretty tuff. Lucky for him too.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It sounds like these were tough dogs, I guess wild boar hunting dogs would have to be. I wonder what it is that causes black bear inparticular to become violent and aggressive like that. I know this experience that your friend had is rare but certainly not unheard of. I can understand protecting cubs, territory, defending itself, but it doesn't seem to be the case with your friends' experience. I wonder if this bear wasn't just derranged, or sick. Either way glad your friend is all right.

Jeff