Bear sightings....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
it is that time of year again for bear's to be on the move. According to DEP, there have been 16 reports of sightings since 5/18 in my area. Think I will take some early morning drives thru Greenwood/Pasadena/Colliers this weekend in hopes of getting some pictures.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
46er said:
it is that time of year again for bear's to be on the move. According to DEP, there have been 16 reports of sightings since 5/18 in my area. Think I will take some early morning drives thru Greenwood/Pasadena/Colliers this weekend in hopes of getting some pictures.

It might as well be you to have the first photo on this site... so get out there :)

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Yeah there have been 6 in the past week . . . all within five miles of my house and that's just word of mouth. I'm sure this will crinkle a few noses in disagreement, but I LOVE that the bears finally made it down here.

-Bob

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
I was out checking on my geocaches out in that area the other day and I saw some Bear tracks, I knew what they were from my explores up in the Delaware Water Gap a.k.a. Bear Country, I am not worried about crossing paths with a Bear, they would rather leave the area.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Was out Sunday morn and this morning. Zip, but they sure were 2 beautiful days to be out. One of these days......

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
"The bears were here before us," said Board of Health member William J. Ritchings of Whiting..

"But we're here now," Singer replied.

What an absolute jerk.

It didn't suit Ray Kalainikas of Manalapan, who told the county's freeholders late yesterday "there should be no free roaming bears anywhere in the state."

"They should be tranquilized and put to sleep," he said.

Oh god why do I have to live in the same state as these people? IF YOU DON'T WANT WILDLIFE, MOVE TO A CITY.

"Round them up and put them in Monmouth County. They'll clear the politicians out. Maybe they'll steal less," suggested Robert Weland of Dover Township.

That last line made the article. I bet the bear could run Monmouth County better.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That second one is scary. What else does he want to get rid of? :(

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It's odd. I just did a search for Ray Kalainikas on google. He's battled for preseving open space in Monmouth County, has written a lot of decent letters to the editor, etc. I just can't fathom how such a stupid idea would come out of the mouth of someone so seemingly intelligent.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He may be someone who likes open space where he feels he can walk around safely without the worries of bears.

Guy

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
bruset said:
The bears have more of a right to be there than he does.

True. People have to be aware of their surroundings when living in bear country. I know of someone in North Carolina who was almost on the receiving end of a possible attack. He went into his barn one night and about an hour later an irate black bear was at his doorway and had no intentions on leaving no matter how much noise the guy made. During this ruckus his two dogs which happen to be an american bulldog at 135 lbs. and a bull mastiff at 155 lbs. came to his aid and surprisingly killed the bear while only sustaining superficial injuries. The game warden said it died from blood loss due to a neck injury. This was unfortunate for the bear and the guy felt bad that it had happened. I guess the bear felt it was his territory and the dogs felt it was theirs. Or they were just protecting him. No winners in any case.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
oceanport? how would a bear just show up in a area like that, it would have to travel through some very populated areas just to get their, I was in oceanport today working hoping to catch a glimpse. growing up in vermont it was rare to see a bear, you might see one any where in jersey now, the state caught one last week I think in sayerville.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Switt, wow that is quite a story. I guess the good thing is that your friend wasn't hurt and that his dogs didn't sustain serious injury. Can't blame the dogs, I know dogs have historically been used to hold off bears (polar and grizzly) alowing humans to escape. I'm surprised the black bear didn't run when the dogs came after him (maybe they were on him before he knew what happened).

I have a friend who works for the pineland commission. She told me last weekend that they are now carrying a bear repellant spray when they work in the field (just in case). I bet ya that if an inncident occurs involving an aggressive bear in south jersey it will happen in a more suburban area than the deep woods. I'm looking forward to a bear population in the pine barrens, however, it is probably unrealistic to hope that they remain in the woods and away from suburbia. The deer surely havn't, but coyote have for the most part. I'm sure there is a correlation with population size.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
F&W has to get real aggessive with their bear awareness program down here instead of focusing it up north. Most folks have no idea what they should be doing, especially the folks in all the retirement communities that border the areas bears have been frequenting the past couple of years. Education is the key, but not after a problem develops, then the bad perception is set and its an uphill battle. Its past the time for them to take it into the local schools and town meetings, maybe set up some booths in local malls. Just my 2 cents.