Bear Swamp, Cumberland County

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

The Bear Swamp was penetrated late Sunday afternoon by one Whip-(the earth is 6,000 years old)-persnapper and one Whip-(add several billion years to that number, please)-poorbill, the latter laden with recording equipment (and as heavily hyped) as an attempt to locate nesting and happily hooting great horned owls was at hand. The age of the planet would not be discussed all afternoon and evening. Nor would a single owl be seen or heard.

However, the old Earth subscriber brought along a camera.

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

Snap aged this stand of trees at 5,999 years old.

IMG_5958.jpg

Swamps, by nature, tend to be soggy SOBs.
IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

Swamps, also by nature, tend to be rather lovely.
IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5975.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

A STONE! BY GOLLY, THEY FOUND A STONE! LOOK, EVERYBODY! A STONE!

...kay, that's enough of that.

Soon after, the pair parked their tiring middle-aged butts within another 5,999-year-old stand of trees and awaited dusk and the slew of owl hoots of which the elder'd lugged 5,999 lbs. of gear in order to record.
IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5995.jpg

"Hoot? Anybody? No?"

Beautiful swamp, there, Alfie.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Whip you got it all wrong.The flood destroyed everything.Those trees are only 4,283 years old.Actually only 4,281 years because it took Noah's family 2 years to walk from Ararat to south jersey.I've been tellin you the story for 25 years and you still screw it up but you get the story about your ancestors (notice I say YOUR) being monkeys right every time.
Alfie

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
By the way whip i forgot to mention you have outdone yerself here.makes me remember why I drag you into the wickedest places with me.You bring such pretty pictures back,looks like you got some trees in here almost as old as Phyllis Diller:)
Makes me wann swamp to the big holly island in the middle of the swamp,the one surrounded by grassy medders.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
By the way whip i forgot to mention you have outdone yerself here.makes me remember why I drag you into the wickedest places with me.You bring such pretty pictures back,looks like you got some trees in here almost as old as Phyllis Diller:)
Makes me wann swamp to the big holly island in the middle of the swamp,the one surrounded by grassy medders.

This batch didn't do it for me at first, Alfie. But I've spent a lot of time re-looking, and they're sinking in, deep. For the relatively few hours we spent back there, the swamp made a massive impression on me. I'm thinking your big holly island this Tuesday coming. Your call. Thanks for taking me back.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This batch didn't do it for me at first, Alfie. But I've spent a lot of time re-looking, and they're sinking in, deep. For the relatively few hours we spent back there, the swamp made a massive impression on me. I'm thinking your big holly island this Tuesday coming. Your call. Thanks for taking me back.

big holly island it is.I think a few of them hollies must be about 4300 years old:)

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
You two continue to crack wise, bring back wonderful images, and share junkets ony fools could love, or the folks on this forum.
There's a book collaboration somewhere in there.
Thanks once again.

g.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I'm almost afraid to mention the "G"-word...

Here’s an early account on Bear Swamp from a soils manual, peppered with a little geology to boot:

“Occasionally the swamps are full of small islands. This is particularly true of Bear Swamp between Cedarville and Dividing Creek. These islands are elevated 2 to 3 feet above the general surface and consist of Portsmouth sandy loam, Elkton loam (in Bear Swamp) and Norfolk sandy loam, poorly drained phase. The soil in Bear Swamp is not very wet except in rainy seasons, and the growth is largely beech. Of less importance are Carolina red maple, sweet gum, sour gum, white cedar, and holly” (Engle, C.C., Lee, L.L., and Miller, H.A., 1921: Soil Survey of the Millville Area, New Jersey. Geologic Series Bulletin 22, United States Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC. p. 41).

Elkton loam is composed of silty windblown material known as loess, ice age dust that washed down from the north and was then blown off terraces of the Delaware River.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Here’s an early account on Bear Swamp from a soils manual, peppered with a little geology to boot:

“Occasionally the swamps are full of small islands. This is particularly true of Bear Swamp between Cedarville and Dividing Creek. These islands are elevated 2 to 3 feet above the general surface and consist of Portsmouth sandy loam, Elkton loam (in Bear Swamp) and Norfolk sandy loam, poorly drained phase. The soil in Bear Swamp is not very wet except in rainy seasons, and the growth is largely beech. Of less importance are Carolina red maple, sweet gum, sour gum, white cedar, and holly” (Engle, C.C., Lee, L.L., and Miller, H.A., 1921: Soil Survey of the Millville Area, New Jersey. Geologic Series Bulletin 22, United States Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC. p. 41).

Elkton loam is composed of silty windblown material known as loess, ice age dust that washed down from the north and was then blown off terraces of the Delaware River.

No problem with the G word spung man.As a matter of fact if everyone here wants to believe in a billions year old earth i actually have no problem with that. Pinelandladdler made a wise crack on young earthers in another thread and wipoorbill knowing how I am goaded me into instigating.I'm sure by the time this is over i will regret it and the whole time Bill will be sitting back with a smug grin enjoying the show because that is what he does,After all what are friends for:)
Yes the beech in the swamp are quite large and beautiful and the fact their remote you can actually find all the trees have no names carved in them.There is a place in bears swamp east that has a beech tree with names and dates from the 40's and it looks authentic.Very scarred and almost illegible.Bill wants to head back to the swamp to get better pics so he can show everyone here how beautiful it is.
Al

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
No problem with the G word spung man.As a matter of fact if everyone here wants to believe in a billions year old earth i actually have no problem with that.

Thanks Manumuskin!

Tolerance is good medicine all around. Science professes to include all knowledge in its pursuit of a scientific point of view, although in my experience I assure you this is not the case (see Peter’s Principal in my 02-08-09 post, Ice Age Relicts at Ground Zero). All in the scientific community should welcome alternative ideas, and not be threatened by anyone who disagrees. To question, especially in a thoughtful manner, is the way paradigms are supported or rejected. Thus considered – whether right or wrong – the community advances. Everyone benefits from new ideas, spiritually and philosophically. Science a rigorous process driven by logic and reason, so don’t be disappointed if group wisdom at first rejects a new theory. The onus is on you to substantiate claims through scientific methodology, or it’s not science. Forewarned, the process is as sticky and slow as molasses.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Manumuskin!

Tolerance is good medicine all around. Science professes to include all knowledge in its pursuit of a scientific point of view, although in my experience I assure you this is not the case (see Peter’s Principal in my 02-08-09 post, Ice Age Relicts at Ground Zero). All in the scientific community should welcome alternative ideas, and not be threatened by anyone who disagrees. To question, especially in a thoughtful manner, is the way paradigms are supported or rejected. Thus considered – whether right or wrong – the community advances. Everyone benefits from new ideas, spiritually and philosophically. Science a rigorous process driven by logic and reason, so don’t be disappointed if group wisdom at first rejects a new theory. The onus is on you to substantiate claims through scientific methodology, or it’s not science. Forewarned, the process is as sticky and slow as molasses.

for the record I do believe in an ice age....immediately after the flood:)
Al

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
As your photos prove. So lovely! Thanks for the swamp-trip. Heard a great horned tonight and thought of you. He's on his way. --G

Thanks, Glo (how will I know your owl? :))... and everybody else. It's official; Bear Swamp expedition two is on for Tuesday. Al promises a much wetter track to the center. Hopefully he'll let me ride on his shoulders.

IMG_5960.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It's official; Bear Swamp expedition two is on for Tuesday.

It is your job as the producer of the sequel to make it better than the first. That is quite the challenge so you better be up to it :)

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
It is your job as the producer of the sequel to make it better than the first. That is quite the challenge so you better be up to it :)

Guy

COMING SOON TO A FORUM THREAD NEAR YOU!!!!

Alfie and Whip starring in ...

BEAR SWAMP, CUMBERLAND COUNTY ... THE SEQUEL
Lost in the 6,000 year old Swamp of Doom!!!

Untitled-Stitched-07.jpg

Sorry ... Guy has hyped me up for the challenge. Figured a little marketing wouldn't hurt! :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
the secret to a successful sequel is 1)higher body count 2)more gore 3) more nudity. Oh wait, it's just you two...never mind the nudity thing. Come to think of it, I'm just thinking of horror movies, so forget everything I just said.

Jeff