Bears in the Pines

B

bach2yoga

Heard on the news this morning that several sheep down here in Hopewell Township (near Bridgeton, headed toward Salem County) were found mauled to death. State authorities suspect a bear, and investigation is underway.

Interestingly, when I talked with Russ Juelg on Saturday he seemed to think it entirely possible that there is a bear at Double Trouble. Seems that the nearest positive ID of bear is only 30 miles north of that, which is well within the mileage of a bear's territory.

'Course, he's inclined to think we may have cougars too. Who knows??!!

Renee

J

JeffD

I posted this Q & A about the black bear from the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife before, but I'll put it in this context. Scroll down about 1/4 way and find the question HOW MANY BEARS ARE THERE IN NEW JERSEY AND WHERE TO THEY LIVE? It appears they have been migrating south and east in New Jersey, so it is possible that a black bear may have visited or maybe lives in Double Trouble State Park. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearq&a.htm

B

bach2yoga

HUNDREDS TURN OUT FOR CONTENTIOUS BEAR HUNT HEARING

Date: 030524

Associated Press, 5/23/03

Trenton - Hundreds of people armed with statistics and opinions
squared off during a heated public hearing on the state's plan to hold
a bear hunt this winter, even though most said they believe that
officials have already decided to proceed with the hunt.

The hearing was held Thursday night by the state Fish & Wildlife Game
Council, which in March approved a six-day hunt from Dec. 8-13 to
control New Jersey's black bear population. If it goes forward, the
hunt would be the first in the Garden State since 1971.

While the hunt appears to have the support of a majority of the
council, it will continue to accept written comments on the plan until
late summer. A decision on whether to hold the hunt is also expected
around that time.

Proponents stressed Thursday that the hunt is needed to thin the
state's growing bear population, which they say poses a public safety
threat. While there were fewer than 100 black bears in New Jersey
1970s, state biologists now estimate the bear population at 3,200.

"There is a very real and extremely dangerous black bear
overpopulation problem in New Jersey and it needs to be addressed
immediately," said Carol Katona, a legislative agent for the
Association of NJ Rifle and Pistol Clubs.

Supporters also noted that bear sightings have increased in recent
years, as have reports of bears wandering into residential
neighborhoods looking for food and killing farmers' livestock.

However, animal rights activists and other critics - many clutching
teddy bears - said New Jerseyans need to coexist with animals instead
of needlessly killing them. They also questioned the state's
population figures and the effectiveness of a hunt as a management
method.

"I think we ought to try living with nature instead of trying to
destroy it," said Steve Heuer, 48, of Hackettstown.

J

JeffD

Right on, Ben. Yeah, maybe we should sit down at a campfire with them over smores. Hug that Teddy Bear. Oh, I feel a parody coming on.

I wanna be
Your Teddy Bear
Rap your hands around my neck
And take me everywhere
I wanna be
Your Teddy Bear

I don't want animal rights folks cryin'
Cause cryin's just too much
I don't want to be a hunter
'cause hunter's
are too much...

You know, we are part of the ecosystem. Each member has a different way of interacting. Bears have claws, etc. If they were smart enough to make a gun, they'd be out hunting us.

While were at it, it's also a good idea to hunt deer to keep the population in check, and cut down on roadkilss, lyme disease, etc. But hey, according to Heuer, we should just be living with nature. Disease and mamings are part of nature, so I guess we're supposed to just live with it. In the words of Rodney King, WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Right on, Ben. Yeah, maybe we should sit down at a campfire with them over smores. Hug that Teddy Bear. Oh, I feel a parody coming on.

Why not? I mean, camping areas out west have bear populations nearby. Just hang your food up high.

That would have to be some predator Ben. Now that would scare even me out of the woods.

Lions! The one at Popcorn Park Zoo was humbling to hear when he roared. The ground literally shook. Now I know why they are called the king of the jungle.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
Lions! The one at Popcorn Park Zoo was humbling to hear when he roared. The ground literally shook. Now I know why they are called the king of the jungle.

That reminds me. There is a stream behind the zoo that I was exploring about 8 years ago. I was looking for orchids. It is about 1/4 mile as the crow flies from the zoo. All of a sudden the lions started making this rapid fire huffing noise, kind of like a roar while clearing their throat at the same time. I straightened up and peered into the woods (it was dusk and getting dark fast). I had no idea what it was, it was the first time I encountered it. My heart was pounding a little bit. When I did finally realize it had to be the lions from the zoo, I started to question to myself whether they had broken loose. It was freaky out there alone that night, believe me.

I live almost 1.5 miles from the zoo as the crow flies. You can actually hear them roaring from my house when the wind is right.

Please Ben, don't suggest they release the lions to go after bears. But that would still be a hell of a fight. I don't think a full-grown black bear goes down easily.

B

bach2yoga

I guess in all fairness Ben ya have to admit we're the most dangerous natural enemy they have. But I don't agree with the bear hunt. Maybe I'd feel different if I lived in an area with bears, but I highly doubt it.
Maybe the bears would help keep down the brown goat population (aka deer) a bit (this coming from someone who has spent the majority of her life as a vegetarian!). They ravaged the heck out of some of the swamp pink populations we explored. Flower heads dropped everywhere, leaves and stalks gone, areas decimated. Deer herbivory can be a real problem.
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
If Bears were as widespread as deer I would say that they should be hunted. I'd prefer to see them in their natural habitat, which is not the Pine Barrens. Let them stay up in North Jersey.

I was only joking about the lions, Bob. :) I wish I lived down in the Lacey/Bamber area. It's so quiet down there. We were going to try to hit the Forked River Mountain after the zoo, but Laura gets carsick too easy, and the bumpy roads don't agree with her.

J

JeffD

bruset said:

Why not? I mean, camping areas out west have bear populations nearby. Just hang your food up high.

That would have to be some predator Ben. Now that would scare even me out of the woods.

I know about hanging your food high to keep the bears from getting it, Ben. Many years ago when I backpacked in Pennsylvania's Black Forest in northcentral PA a bear got into my stuff. I had hung my food above the ground but evidently not high enough. I didn't hear the bear when I was sleeping in my pup tent -- maybe the sound of the nearby rushing stream drowned it out -- but the next morning I found teeth marks in my can of, I think it was either spaghetti or ravioli. They didn't quite go all the way through, so I ate the food anyway. I think it was a black bear.

When there's an overpopulation of anything there is a problem. Of course, some critters are more bothersome than others. Anyway, the park where I worked years ago had a deer overpopulation. At one point, state scientists believe the deer population was five times above the carrying capacity! The area around the park was rapdily developed in a short time, and deer would funnel into the park, but of course would also visit developments where they could eat some of the plants that people grew. A deer once came right into a house, crashing through a large window. There were alot of car versus deer accidents, which wasn't as good a match as would be a lion versus a deer. Lyme Disease and deforestation was also a concern. So the park had a yearly deer hunt each winter and closed the park the days of the hunt.

I think that introducing hunters is the best preditor. This would be safer and would prevent other problems than letting lions loose or introducing wolves into the Pine Barrens. (I know you were kidding, Ben).

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
bruset

bruset,
I do believe that the pine barrens is native habitat to bear only they were exterminated here over 100 years ago when the barrens were actually less wild then they are now due to all the charcoaling,iron mining and so forth going on at the time of the extermination.I think they"d do real good around here now if people didn"t freak out and go on a killing spree and wipe em out again.
Al

B

BarryC

I believe there was talk of moving some down, but I don't think it has been done yet. But I also believe I read somewhere in a news article that bears have been sighted in 17 counties.
Also, on another note, I do believe they are mostly plant eaters and they wouldn't maul farm animals, but I may be wrong on that. I just glanced through the string below, but need to read the whole thing before I post more.
I've also heard that there is at least one bear in the Tuckahoe/Ætna/Head-of-the-River area. I think Renee told me that a naturalist told her that.
Barry
MontanaKayaker said:
I heard that the State has transplanted some black bears from the NW part of the state down in the pines. Any truth to this? Anyone see a black bear?

Jim

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
Hmm, for all it's worth, I spotted a number of what I am pretty sure were bear tracks in the Dover Forge area back in March or April. It was along the fence line on the southeastern edge of the Arthur Newman Airpark. [Edit: Make that the Robert J. Miller Airpark, getting my names screwed up.] The detail wasn't all that good given that the prints were in the sand, but with a diameter of about 5 inches, I think that rules out a feral dog or coyote. Plus, the claw imprints seemed too far apart to be canine. I'm not an expert on the matter, so I can't say for certain what it was or wasn't. All I decided was to call it a day. :D

--Tom

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
Whoops, sorry about that. I was thinking of the Arthur Newman Industrial Park that's also on 530. Yes, that should have been the Robert J. Miller Airpark. Thanks for pointing that out, Bob.

--Tom

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
from what i was told they tried this in the 70's and the bears wouldnt take. they need a different type habitat to survive. plenty of coyotes in the pines though. soon to be a problem im sure. i listen to the fish ang game channels and it seems bears love to eat the family pets as well as livestock. the land can only carry so many and we are looking stupid by not keeping the whole thing under control. yes i mean limited hunting! i hated to see all those geese gased. would have been better served on someones table.

B

bach2yoga

BorderWalker said:
Hmm, for all it's worth, I spotted a number of what I am pretty sure were bear tracks in the Dover Forge area back in March or April. It was along the fence line on the southeastern edge of the Arthur Newman Airpark. [Edit: Make that the Robert J. Miller Airpark, getting my names screwed up.] The detail wasn't all that good given that the prints were in the sand, but with a diameter of about 5 inches, I think that rules out a feral dog or coyote. Plus, the claw imprints seemed too far apart to be canine. I'm not an expert on the matter, so I can't say for certain what it was or wasn't. All I decided was to call it a day. :D

--Tom

Well, that's just a stone's throw from Double Trouble, where I would stake my last dollar on the tracks I saw last year around this time being bear.

BTW, got to see my first timber rattlesnake Monday! :) He was a beauty, if terrifying.

Fortunately for me, it was being tracked and had made it's way into a research box, and was let back out after we had seen him. Can't say I would want to see him any closer than that, though. Did get a few pics of him.

Renee

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
bach2yoga said:
BTW, got to see my first timber rattlesnake Monday! :) He was a beauty, if terrifying.

Fortunately for me, it was being tracked and had made it's way into a research box, and was let back out after we had seen him. Can't say I would want to see him any closer than that, though. Did get a few pics of him.

Renee

Renee, do you have the pictures of that rattler posted by any chance? I'm curious about it's color/pattern. Supposedly eastern timber rattlers are a little less aggressive than diamondbacks. From what I've read, they prefer to flee or try to hide themselves--which can make them more dangerous to someone who doesn't notice one while walking.

--Tom