beautiful day today

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
it was a beautiful day today so i decided to go out and went to <deleted>. only there for maybe an hour and a half and i couldnt believe how many spotted turtles i saw. its hard to get a real good look at them with all the noise the stroller makes lol. i just wished i had my camera but as always that was left behind.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A great day to be there for sure. Nice to see you all had a good time :)

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
i'm VERY glad to hear this, but please sensor this post. <deleted> are highly coveted by collectors.

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
i didnt think it mattered as in a previous post someone was discussing spotteds at that location in more detail than what i said. if someone was to go there and try to collect them they would probably get caught anyway as rangers ride around on atv's.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
if i noticed that post, I would have replied in the same way. check the sticky at the top of this forum category. also i'm intimately familiar with the park and know they probably won't get caught. but hey - if you're more concerned with your freedom of speech on a two-sentence post than the potential collection of a species of special concern, well that's cool too.

i know at least one person on this forum is aware of the price an <deleted> fetches, maybe he'll chime in . . . what is it now, like $60/ea?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bob, I'm chiming in. <deleted> I'm not sure what prices are now because I refuse to log onto the classified sections of those sites. That is really good news to hear about that place. Bob, maybe you just hit a couple bad years there I know I'm expieriencing one so far this year. I've seen one where I go and last year in similar conditions was seeing a dozen. <deleted> tend to move from place to place in colonies is what I'm noticing. Honestly I believe dave got that place from one of your previous post a long time ago. To ben or guy can you please sensor that location in daved orginal post....that is if it is ok with daved. Thanks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ok all, Ben altered the location of where he said they were, and I made some changes that I believe those who posted can live with.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was not going to do anymore editing to the first post, but I tried to alter the rest where I felt there would be no complaints. In any event it is a no win situation.

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
i can understand not posting locations of certain things but the only reason i posted that was because in a post awhile ago somebody was inquiring info on the species being discussed and somebody told them about the area that i posted about. he said his kid had to do a school project on them and wanted to get pictures of them. so i felt by my posting what and where didnt seem to be a problem because this is known information. somebody should edit that first post. i have never seen what is being discussed before in the wild and i was pleased that i got to see some. now if i havent read that post from before i wouldnt of known that they were there. now if i saw something else somewhere else that is not known about, my meaning being posted on this site, i wouldnt of posted the info. thanks, dave..

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Honestly I believe dave got that place from one of your previous post a long time ago.

Its possible - i don't remember exactly how long ago it was before I realized the gravity of posting (even general) locations on a forum as highly searchable as this. I'll try to go through and edit any of my own stupidity from the past. The last thing I want is to contribute to a problem i'm this adamantly against.

Guy, Ben - i appreciate any editing or deleting you've done of my older posts.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
i can understand not posting locations of certain things but the only reason i posted that was because in a post awhile ago somebody was inquiring info on the species being discussed and somebody told them about the area that i posted about. he said his kid had to do a school project on them and wanted to get pictures of them. so i felt by my posting what and where didnt seem to be a problem because this is known information. somebody should edit that first post. i have never seen what is being discussed before in the wild and i was pleased that i got to see some. now if i havent read that post from before i wouldnt of known that they were there. now if i saw something else somewhere else that is not known about, my meaning being posted on this site, i wouldnt of posted the info. thanks, dave..

Don't sweat it Dave, it was clearly an honest mistake and an easy one to make. I didn't know there was black market value on these animals. Glad you had a great day in the woods though!!

Jeff

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
well if you are looking for something you can go through the posts and gather information about whatever and get an idea as where to find it. for example about salmanders read through the posts and somebody says at a protected site in atlantic county with vernal pools. well i did some research and believe that spot is hirst ponds preserve. but, try to find info on where exactly it is goodluck. now if you know where that site is you probably already know what is there. all i am saying is if somebody really wants to see something or collect it or whatever there is enough information out there to piece a puzzle together and come up with something. with that said im sure some of you think im a collector and im out to make money on all the animals of the pines but im not i just enjoy searching for them and if i do find any thats a plus and if i dont i still can say i had a great day out in the pines. now if i find a bog turtle at this location i suspect them to be there is no way in hell i would post that info on here or anywhere else. i know there is a black market for turtles and such and i think i read somewhere that a bog turtle gets like 3,000 dollars apiece. if that info got out about my spot im sure they would be all gone and i dont want to see that happen.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
My bad Bob, it wasn't from your post. Dave don't worry about it, you did really nothing wrong. I have done the same thing on here and now know to be really vague. I don't think anyone thinks you collect. Unfortunately most collectors know locations before anyone else, because they are willing to tresspass and break whatever law they have too. I'm glad you finally got to see spotted dave I know my first time was very enjoyable. Thanks ben and guy for the editing.