Beaver Deceiver At Webb's Mill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

After many complaints and a ton of work by various individuals over the years, the state has erected a beaver deceiver at Webb's Mill. This should eliminate flooding at the boardwalk allowing the plants to grow for everyone to enjoy. It is obviously working so far and it is great to hear the state is working to eliminate the flooding problem.

Jess and I were there early this morning so the lighting was not especially perfect. Video at the bottom.

DSC_3150a.jpg

DSC_3146a.jpg

DSC_3145a.jpg

DSC_3142a.jpg

DSC_3138a.jpg

This use to be fully flooded. The water has dropped almost 18 to 24 inches.

DSC_3134a.jpg

This pipe usually had water to the top or over it.

DSC_3133a.jpg

This is the output.

DSC_3128a.jpg

DSC_3127a.jpg

I added some photos to the video. The same as above.

https://youtu.be/gYjzrIXPiXg

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The very best thing about this contraption is that we'll be able to see where and why it has failed (if it does). Then we can ask for corrective action.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see a slight problem that can be easily fixed when anyone goes there. Pine needed are already surrounding the metal gates and so may some other vegetation. But the water is not too deep there so anyone can easily push anything that surrounds it. I think it is going to work just fine.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I haven't been to Webbs Mills since the beaver problem began,I have only been once since the boardwalk was built.Been right by it quite a few times though.I imagine the uniqueness of the area has been destroyed? Looks like it.Used to be large areas of white gravel barely covered in water with sundew and picture plants everywhere. I used to look for Grass Fern there because it was reported but never found it there.Looks like if it was there it's probably been drowned.I wonder if the area will ever recover.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This location is downstream of the boardwalk area. If the beavers are deceived then the boardwalk area will be good. It never will be like it was because the pipe needs to be lower.

• Sad
Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I stopped by today. The deceiver is working fine, despite the plant material you see on the two circular sections. There is still a decent flow in from the bottom, and any water going past them is easily going into the rectangular section.

I request that people leave it alone if it's working fine. Otherwise, if the material is knocked out it will mostly flow into the black pipes and eventually clog them. We'll just keep an eye on it during the spring rains.

1676507562165.png

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
The little so-and-sos are at it again--I thought the water looked a bit high for the weather, with sundews and clubmoss submerged, and sure enough, they've built a small dam from the shore to and around the deceiver and gotten the water up a few inches.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The little so-and-sos are at it again--I thought the water looked a bit high for the weather, with sundews and clubmoss submerged, and sure enough, they've built a small dam from the shore to and around the deceiver and gotten the water up a few inches.
Yes, thanks Scroggy. I knocked it down 3 times myself in May. I contacted the state. I can't keep doing it. The Beavers are winning.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I just got back from Webb's Mill Bog.
I had to wade in to the elevated walkway. Ankle deep or deeper. Water level was only a couple of inches below the walkway.
Out flow is clogged with only a bit getting through the pipes and water is flowing over the road. I

Reactions: Pine Wrangler

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Even if it was you know those beavers will be working overtime. They just do :D

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
Yes - I do realize that but do you have an informative answer to the question I posted??
I was hoping to do some photography with lower, if even temporary, water levels.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes - I do realize that but do you have an informative answer to the question I posted??
I was hoping to do some photography with lower, if even temporary, water levels.

I have no new info.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
When I was out on Jones Rd, twice in the spring before the drought. The road after Blacks Bridge was flooded and the water was up to the bottom of the bridge. The water was coming through the cedars across the road and it was preety deep because there were some existing lowspots/puddles. Not sure if it is still like that now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was there once and it was like that as well. The next time I went though it was open. Someone is clearing it out.