Beaver Swamp WMA

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
There is a still a solid patch of cedar in the middle of the swamp south of 550. Best access is off Gracetown road. It is within the Cape May NWR. You can see it on satellite images. A trail will get you close then you have to crawl about 150ft.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I seriously doubt this tree is wild. I have been to the cypress swamps in southern Delaware and I seriously doubt Cypress nuts could have fell in a stream and floated into the bay and all the way across and up Sluice Creek without succumbing to salt water.In any case cypress nuts I do believe sink when they fall from the tree and will only sprout in dry years if they land in the mud and get time to sprout before being flooded again.
I have a friend whose Dad planted a cypress next to the Mauricetown bridge.It lived for about ten years or more and then a hard winter girdled the tree with ice floes on the river and killed it.It was producing nuts.Within about five more years the top part of the tree broke off but a stump about four feet high still remains just to the right of the boat ramp hid in the marsh grass most of the year.He said he brought a small cypress tree he hacked off at the base from maryland and stuck it in the mud there and it sprouted.There are several large cypress growing in peoples yards in Greenwich,planted of course.
Some of the Delaware cypress are at Trap Pond State park and Trussum Pond and along the James River.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Given the location the tree is, I'd put my money on the birds. Just about every tree that wasn't already on our property is now here thanks to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Given the location the tree is, I'd put my money on the birds. Just about every tree that wasn't already on our property is now here thanks to them.
Do birds eat cypress nuts?Will a cypress seed pass through a birds digestive tract unharmed? Did that big cypress on the banks of Sluice Creek marsh start out as a glorified Bird Turd?

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Does it go through like corn and come out still viable? Or will the birds stomach acids destroy it and turn it into white slime?

Yes, that is the question. The Cypress fruit is similar to a pine cone with the seeds within the fruit. If it is like other fruits such a Dogwood, Holly, cherry, etc; they eat it for the fruit, and the seeds within the fruit get blown out the other end, similar to us humans if we eat a watermelon seed. :eek:

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes, that is the question. The Cypress fruit is similar to a pine cone with the seeds within the fruit. If it is like other fruits such a Dogwood, Holly, cherry, etc; they eat it for the fruit, and the seeds within the fruit get blown out the other end, similar to us humans if we eat a watermelon seed. :eek:
Well if you ever find watermelons growing back in the woods it probably is my fault.

Reactions: John and 46er

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Just to keep this thread heading off track...

It's amazing how many tomato plants grow near the headworks of sewage plants.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't see how it's off track.We're still discussing the Timber Beaver swamp.How did said cypress tree get to Timber Beaver swamp? If you set up a flag pole on the duck blind in the original post and then went around and climbed said cypress you would be able to see the flag from the cypress so we're still pretty much on track.But since you have brought up tomato plants does anyone know of a good spot to plant a couple dozen in the Timber beaver swamp?

So after reading this thread, my girlfriend and I decided to do some off-trail hiking at Beaver Swamp. I was last there years ago, but only walked along the earthen dam. This time we chose to follow Beaver Dam Rd. to its conclusion, then went east following a corduroy road that essentially parallels the trail that is highlighted on the map. Due to the recent rain, it was flooded and we should have turned around at this point. It became nothing but briars, red maples, and sphagnum. After scraping and crawling our way through, we finally reached the trail that took us along the southern ridge, which is essentially a continuation of Brooks Ave. I decided that instead of making a big loop and following the road, we'd cut through the timber and beaver swamp and cross the Sluice Creek. One of the worst hiking decisions I've ever made. The water was waist deep if not deeper in most sections, and there were many times we were facing a wall of briars. Trying to balance from one red maple hummock to another, the water was getting increasingly deeper as we approached Sluice Creek to our north. We finally crossed and eventually got to higher ground. I was never so happy to see holly trees as I was at that moment. We cut west across some shallower swamps but the briars only seemed to increase in size and cutting-capability. We made it back to Beaver Dam Rd. about a half mile north of my car and soggily made our way back. Two hours later in Vineland, I realized I left my bag on the road and had to return to get it; it was still there. Toughest bush-whacking hike I've ever done; one where you question how to keep going and the only reply is "I don't have any other options but to continue." The densest brush I've come across since Peaslee along the Manumuskin. Beaver Swamp is some extremely wild territory.

Beaver Swamp.png

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
So after reading this thread, my girlfriend and I decided to do some off-trail hiking at Beaver Swamp. I was last there years ago, but only walked along the earthen dam. This time we chose to follow Beaver Dam Rd. to its conclusion, then went east following a corduroy road that essentially parallels the trail that is highlighted on the map. Due to the recent rain, it was flooded and we should have turned around at this point. It became nothing but briars, red maples, and sphagnum. After scraping and crawling our way through, we finally reached the trail that took us along the southern ridge, which is essentially a continuation of Brooks Ave. I decided that instead of making a big loop and following the road, we'd cut through the timber and beaver swamp and cross the Sluice Creek. One of the worst hiking decisions I've ever made. The water was waist deep if not deeper in most sections, and there were many times we were facing a wall of briars. Trying to balance from one red maple hummock to another, the water was getting increasingly deeper as we approached Sluice Creek to our north. We finally crossed and eventually got to higher ground. I was never so happy to see holly trees as I was at that moment. We cut west across some shallower swamps but the briars only seemed to increase in size and cutting-capability. We made it back to Beaver Dam Rd. about a half mile north of my car and soggily made our way back. Two hours later in Vineland, I realized I left my bag on the road and had to return to get it; it was still there. Toughest bush-whacking hike I've ever done; one where you question how to keep going and the only reply is "I don't have any other options but to continue." The densest brush I've come across since Peaslee along the Manumuskin. Beaver Swamp is some extremely wild territory.

You sir, are the Man !

I also very much appreciate the fact that you took your girlfriend on this nightmarish yet educational adventure. I met my wife in the woods back in the 70's. I dragged her through the woods everywhere I went and we still do everything together.
If your girlfriend enjoyed it, you have met your lifemate. If she didn't enjoy it, you may still have met your lifemate. You may just have to wait until the kicking and screaming tails off.
:)

Reactions: Menantico

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Dan I crossed the swamp twice maybe twenty years ago and I also was wading chest deep by the time I got to Sluice Creek.I believe the dam is backing water up into the swamp.I remember bad briars along the edge of the swamp but by the time I got down into it it seemed to open up the wetter it got. I crossed your trail at several spots.I remember trying to follow Sluice creek back to the parking area at the earthen dam and got tangled up in the worst Blueberry Bush swamp I"ve ever been in. I also caught two Northern Water Snakes within 50 ft of each other and got skunked by both.I still have a pic of me somewhere holding one with a bit of blood running down my hand.He caught me at the same time,what a coincidence! The island out by the duck blind is very nice once you get there but once again your wading waste deep by the time you get to it.I went in may,I bet that water was still pretty cold. That is one tough girl you have there.Did she whine?I"ll send you the ctpress coords if you want to check that out.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
The corduroy road was built by the FFS in the early 60s and is made out of old railroad ties. I can't believe you walked through that. I always give up.

Reactions: Menantico

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yep. Funny story. Our sewer line got backed up by roots. Raw sewage started to come up through one of the vents. It was quickly taken care of but that small patch was avoided a bit during mowing. Two tomato plants took hold and gave us a nice amout of late season tomatoes. There is only one way they got there:eek:.