Beaver Swamp WMA

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So after reading this thread, my girlfriend and I decided to do some off-trail hiking at Beaver Swamp. I was last there years ago, but only walked along the earthen dam. This time we chose to follow Beaver Dam Rd. to its conclusion, then went east following a corduroy road that essentially parallels the trail that is highlighted on the map. Due to the recent rain, it was flooded and we should have turned around at this point. It became nothing but briars, red maples, and sphagnum. After scraping and crawling our way through, we finally reached the trail that took us along the southern ridge, which is essentially a continuation of Brooks Ave. I decided that instead of making a big loop and following the road, we'd cut through the timber and beaver swamp and cross the Sluice Creek. One of the worst hiking decisions I've ever made. The water was waist deep if not deeper in most sections, and there were many times we were facing a wall of briars. Trying to balance from one red maple hummock to another, the water was getting increasingly deeper as we approached Sluice Creek to our north. We finally crossed and eventually got to higher ground. I was never so happy to see holly trees as I was at that moment. We cut west across some shallower swamps but the briars only seemed to increase in size and cutting-capability. We made it back to Beaver Dam Rd. about a half mile north of my car and soggily made our way back. Two hours later in Vineland, I realized I left my bag on the road and had to return to get it; it was still there. Toughest bush-whacking hike I've ever done; one where you question how to keep going and the only reply is "I don't have any other options but to continue." The densest brush I've come across since Peaslee along the Manumuskin. Beaver Swamp is some extremely wild territory.

You are a true pine barren explorer Dan. A tip of the hat to you, and to your girlfriend. :clint:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Last Saturday we visited the dam, parking at the end of the paved road. Our hike was cut short because of rain.
P4220007s.JPG

P4220008s.JPG

P4220009s.JPG

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is the Eagle nest still there? Does not look like it. Any buoys in the water with nesting Eagle warnings on them?