Best Hikes in the Pine Barrens

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Thanks for posting that and getting me out today.
Did Red trail at Franklin Parker
We had a great time and think the dogs did too but no comment since they are sleeping LoL

Now I know someone here can tell me what these are...
Found three of them not far from each other on the side of the trail not far from that weather tower.
Thought they could be a stone but didnt want to touch incase it was an egg.
They were next to holes or depressions in ground

IMG_0138.JPG

edit... all were marked with an orange flag

Reactions: MikeBickerson

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Where is the weather tower? I'm out here all the time and I don't recall one.
We hiked the Batona Trail - Goodwater Road loop today at Quaker Bridge, dogs now asleep in a sun beam.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Pine snake eggs are very oblong shaped and tend to turn brownish soon after hatching and show a definite split where the snake came out.This looks like possibly a puff ball mushroom?Kinda weird time of year for a fresh one. Even weirder time for an egg.

Eli

Apr 13, 2008
Medford Lakes
I was out on the red trail Sunday as well and noticed the maker flag. but could not resist touch those things and found they were small rocks. No idea why the were there, maybe a geocache or some jokester just messing with passersbyIMG_1503.JPG

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
They maybe going to burn that area and the stones are to mark the holes so thy can find them after the burn for some study.
The flags will burn in the fire.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, they must be doing burn research as those are the same things I found at Penn State Forest after the fire there. I learned later I disturbed their research somewhat.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
but could not resist touch those things and found they were small rocks.

I've got hundreds of rocks similar to that all over, but they are very white, very smooth and nowhere as large. They remind me of the Cape May diamonds. Maybe if I dig down a bit...

My next guess is you would find similar stones underwater off our beaches.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That rock looks like the rounded granite stones I find along the shore of lake Superior in UP Michigan. I have some beautiful pink and white mottled ones here shaped just like that.

Also on the beaches of Maine, but they are more egg shaped there. How many can you count?

129235268.jpg

Interesting on the rocks & fire research, thanks.

My best guess on the tower is about mid point of red trail where it combines with road (possible green trail)
There was a small clearing and a picnic table... Mike has a pic of it near bottom of page here
https://southjerseytrails.org/2014/05/18/redtrailparkerpreserve/

That's exactly where it was, good sleuthing.

The guy had the truck out there, I can't imagine its been there very long. He was nice enough to show the 4 year old how it worked.