best satellite maps and gps info

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
without paying fees. ive used terra server and a couple others. most of those maps are not of great detail and seem to be a couple years old. in this day and age there should be fresh pictures up to date or you would think. also when i zoom in on a specific spot how can i get a specific coordinate and not the coordinates of a big grid. i wanna be able to say zoom in on a small pond and then take those readings and enter them into my 10 year old gps unit. any ideas?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Google Earth is probably the best free site with seamless color photos that will give you lat/lon beneath your cursor as you drag around the photo. You can adjust the lat/lon format too.
The aerial photo base for NJ is the NJDEP 2002 aerial maps.
They are high resolution but if you want even more resolution, you can download individual tiles directly from NJDEP through their GIS program.
It is a complicated process that would take me awhile to explain and not really worth the extra work.
USA Photomap is also a good mapping program to use with your GPS .
It takes a while to explore but is a good program.
One disadvantage is that the program is based on old 1995+/- Terraserver black and white imagery.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The best program for that is Google Earth.

http://earth.google.com/

The maps are the most recent maps you can get, and in color. The coordinates display in real time so you just slide your mouse over the location and you have them.

Be warned you need quite a bit of ram to run it properly. At least on the Mac version it does.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Get a PC. :D

I am confident that the same holds true on the PC. I just could not say that because I do not use the PC version.

I am also confident that you knew that also :)

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Personally I like Google Earth better than terraserver, but I guess I understand what you're saying. The images are really old on terraserver though, they don't even show my house which was built in 1993.

I just upgraded to Google Earth Plus, but haven't really had time to play with it yet. However it lets you import tracks, routes and waypoints from your GPS and display them on the maps. Costs $20/year which seems reasonable.

But the free version is also very cool :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The images are really old on terraserver though, they don't even show my house which was built in 1993.

For me the old images show old roads and paths much clearer. Some of them on Google are not even there anymore. This helps me immensely in what I do.

Guy

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
my 8 year old windows 98 computer has 191 meg ram so id ont know if it will work but i will try. thansk for all the suggestions!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
my 8 year old windows 98 computer has 191 meg ram so id ont know if it will work but i will try. thansk for all the suggestions!

I doubt it will work. It requires a 3D card and here are the minimum system requirements.

Operating System: Windows 2000, Windows XP
CPU: Pentium 3, 500Mhz - System Memory (RAM): 128MB RAM
Hard Disk: 400MB free space
Network Speed: 128 Kbits/sec
Graphics Card: 3D-capable with 16MB of VRAM
Screen: 1024x768, "16-bit High Color" screen

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
my 8 year old windows 98 computer has 191 meg ram

Sorry, no way that you're going to run Google Earth on that machine. But as an alternative you can always look at the same photos here: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=10&ll=39.75049,-74.576569&spn=0.545862,1.038208&t=h&om=1

But of course you won't have all the features of the standalone Google Earth program. Hmm, on second thought I'm not sure if Google Maps will even work correctly under Win 98... didn't ebsi or someone have a problem with that?...