Biking in the Pines

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I recently picked up a bike and I've been riding it pretty regularly. Are there any good bike trails in the Pines? My bike is a hybrid, with road tires, so I'm looking for paved or hard packed dirt paths.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There's a maze of mountainbike (and other) trails in the Atlantic County Park at Estell Manor. Most of them are on my map. There's also the Atlantic County Bikeway which runs along an old railroad bed, it's also on my map.

I remember somebody posting about a bike trail in Wharton last year. Ed maybe?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Ben , " Old Hat " to you , but close by ( Save on Gas ) :
-Allaire / Shark river /Manasquan reservoir ( all paved
-Henry Hudson
Wall now has about 8 miles of paved bike trails .
Joe

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I have a paper bike guide to the pines...probably 10 years old. Let me see if I can find it and I'll mail it to you.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yes, sadly I can't do mountain bike trails with my road bike tires

Ben get yourself a set of crossover tires and you can ride most of the hardpack paths and roads. You can still ride on the road if you purchase a less aggressive lug and not be dragged down the design of the tire. Stop by Jay's on Nassau Street on your lunch break. I think they may have a demo bike you could try out to see how much traction you get on a loose trail with tires such as these on a road bike.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Wow, Bert Nixdorf, that's a name I haven't heard of in decades. I remember hiking with him. It is interesting where he places Sandy Ridge and who found Carranza's body.

There is a mountain bike path right at Batsto, one of my kids blazed it for his Eagle Project a few years ago. Wouldn't do it with road tires though.

My favorite bike trip in the pines is Lake Oswego to Pine Barrens Deli and back. It's 20 miles, you can get ice cream at the deli halfway, and then can cool off in the lake at the end. It's not a "path", but hey, ice cream!

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Ben , Glad you mentioned have not been down there yet . Belmar boardwalk back , but that's basically it .