Bird Hunting Question in Greenwood

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Scott, I appreciate the additional insight. My father lives with me and also happens to be 83. We share a similar temperament and argue on an almost daily basis, but I quickly back down. I feel at that age you have earned the right to be a bit on the ornery side! And Mike is right about the internet. Most of the negative tangents we go off on while on forums like this would not happen if we were having the same discussion in a bar or on one of our front porches.

Since my hunting passion is waterfowl, I also do not know much about the NJQP or their activities but would love to learn more about them. When I lived in Passaic County over 25 years ago I was an avid grouse hunter (and fly fisherman!) and the Ruffed Grouse has suffered some pretty serious declines as well the Bobwhite. I’ve discussed the plight of both birds with biologists from the state on numerous occasions, trying to get a handle on the problem. I am concerned about both these species, not only as game birds but even more importantly as native New Jersey species. I would much more prefer to see the native populations re-established in numbers that can sustain hunting than to simply improve habitat for stocked birds. Stocked and native birds have a different genetic make-up and are not the same.

I was looking forward to attending the Batso Show myself but have to work this Sunday. Mike had me speak to the Citizens Committee when the show was first proposed to give some of my input from running the Tuckerton show for several years. I’ll make a point to stop by the NJQP table this September.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Its pretty rare to see a grouse in these parts nowadays, but almost everytime I walk our property in the Adirondacks, one bursts up. You'd think Id be used to it by now, but I still almost sh*t myself everytime they explode into flight.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Its pretty rare to see a grouse in these parts nowadays, but almost everytime I walk our property in the Adirondacks, one bursts up. You'd think Id be used to it by now, but I still almost sh*t myself everytime they explode into flight.

I hear that. I did far more hunting than I did shooting. Another common situation with me was for one to flush, completely surprising and shocking me, then as my shotgun is held loosely at my side while I wonder if I had a shot, a second bird flushes from the same spot, leaving me just as surprised and unprepared as for the first one.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Hardly any locals hunt them up there, if they do they just walk the logging roads to find them. Get off the roads and it's very tough going, as you probably know. They are up and away before you have a chance at them. But its still a sadistic form of fun; hunt them in the morning, go for trout in the afternoon :jd:

Joe Matter was just talking to me about this thread. He doesn't have a computer and it more informed than me! :rofl:

Y-Buc Bill keeps us all on track.

I live in Waretown and would love to know more or a more accurate location so we can look into this population and maybe monitor call counts . . . before it's too late.

Pola
Secretary, NJ Quail Project

I hear a lot of bobwhite calls here in Bamber. Im guessing some are small reproducing populations and others might make it here from the stocking yards since our road backs up to Greenwood. Used to hear them now and then even when we lived in Brick.

Bill, you are the man!

I hope that folks will stop down to the Batsto Decoy Show and get a look at our photo album and learn about who we are and what we do.

Even before the Decoy Show on this Saturday May 16 at least 10 volunteers from the NJ Quail Project will be giving of their time and talent to help with seeding at the Peaslee Tract. Then, some of them will be helping at the Decoy Show in Batsto - both from the organization standpoint as well as the information tables too. If you are interested in helping - give Joe a call (856) 456-7804.

I hope that folks will visit our website at http://www.njquailproject.org to keep abreast of what we are doing and planning. Lots of some really good stuff coming up.

May 17 - Batsto Decoy Show
May 27 - New Jersey Quail Project Workshop sponsored by the Upper Deerfield Township Environmental Committee
June 13 - Field Dog Expo and Family Fun Day (English Setter Club) benefits NJQP. Free Admission and Parking. See website or email me for more details.
October 12 - Fundraising Sporting Clay Shoot at Hudson Farms (benefits NJOA and the NJQP)
October - Whitetail Hunt for the Physically Challenged at Hudson Farm (bow only)
December - Whitetail Hunt for the Physically Challenged at Hudson Farm (shotgun only)

Grassroots and boots on the ground - this is how we will get it done . . . and have lots of fun while we are doing it.

Pola

PS - The NJQP is a project of the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance Environmental Projects.

Scott ,I thank you for the kind words.Fellow Piney's ,I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.That was not my intent.We are a hard working bunch of Sportsmen and Sportswomen who would like to once again hear the call of the Bob White Quail.It's the NJQP goal to improve habitat and to restore our Quail population.We started this project in 2007.We have Quail Unlimited,U.S.Fish and Wildlife,Ducks Unlimited,Waste Management working with us for a common goal.If any of you would like to join us,you are more then welcome.NJQP will have a table to the Batsto Decoy show this Sunday.Stop by and meet Joe Matter and others.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Hi Pola.Glad you came in with your input.To you all that don't know Pola.She is one of the spokes on the wheel.Pola is our secretary and will do what ever is necessary to accomplish a project.I am proud to be working with Joe,Pola,Mike and many others.I would like to welcome all that would like to be involved in the NJQP.I hope we are all on the same page.I did not mean to ruffle any feathers.

***BLUSH***

Thanks for the compliments.

Did you see I published the photos from the Pheasant Shoot and the Habitat Project at Waste Mangement?

http://www.njquailproject.org/photo/gallery.html

Pola

Hi Pola.Glad you came in with your input.To you all that don't know Pola.She is one of the spokes on the wheel.Pola is our secretary and will do what ever is necessary to accomplish a project.I am proud to be working with Joe,Pola,Mike and many others.I would like to welcome all that would like to be involved in the NJQP.I hope we are all on the same page.I did not mean to ruffle any feathers.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
NJQP-Update...Sat. May16 ...13 of us met at the Peaslee WMA.We worked with the Division and seeded over 100 acrea's with 600 pounds of warm weather grass seeds.Thanks to all that attended.It was gratifing working with the Division's Lee and Laurie.Most of us are members of the Division's Wildlife Conservation Corps Volunteer's..

Bill,

It was expected that this job would take two full days and the volunteers completed the work in one! Outstanding.

Also, a little bird (Joe) told me that you took some photos. I can't wait to see them and get them posted to our website.

GREAT JOB. All the species living in that habitat will benefit from this.

Pola

NJQP-Update...Sat. May16 ...13 of us met at the Peaslee WMA.We worked with the Division and seeded over 100 acrea's with 600 pounds of warm weather grass seeds.Thanks to all that attended.It was gratifing working with the Division's Lee and Laurie.Most of us are members of the Division's Wildlife Conservation Corps Volunteer's..