Bird ID

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
This little girl walked up to my wife and kids at the bus stop today. It was not afraid of them at all.

56899E00-E2B8-4AB6-845A-DE12E0C42D6F.JPG
That's the curb next to it for size.

Reactions: Teegate

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
F&W stocks Quail for dog training around this time every year. Yesterday was the first stocking. Probably an escapee.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2016/dogtrain16.htm
I'm not close to any of those WMAs that were listed. I thought there was a possibility of it coming from the state but I'm only close to Wharton. (Near the raceway in Atco) I don't think they stock near here. I don't suspect it would survive long around here. I've seen fox and heard coyotes and not to mention the colony of feral cats on the next street over.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They stock the birds at the training areas in Glassboro, Millville and Tuckahoe down south. Could have pulled a Cool Hand Luke move off the transport truck, considering it was in the roadway. Being a single bird I doubt it was wild. Quail are purchased by the state from independent breeders, so who knows where they come from, there is no longer a state run Quail farm. Private hunting preserves are also open now and also stock birds on their land. What happened to the one you saw?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
They stock the birds at the training areas in Glassboro, Millville and Tuckahoe down south. Could have pulled a Cool Hand Luke move off the transport truck, considering it was in the roadway. Being a single bird I doubt it was wild. Quail are purchased by the state from independent breeders, so who knows where they come from, there is no longer a state run Quail farm. Private hunting preserves are also open now and also stock birds on their land. What happened to the one you saw?
I didn't see it. My wife sent me the picture asking what it was. To my dismay I told her it looks like a quail. It walked up to her from behind to about a foot away. Being more of a city girl I'm surprised that she actually bent over and picked it up over the curb since it couldn't make the leap(I must be rubbing off on her;)) She said that it just moved around and pecked around under the nearby cedar tree. She said it crossed the road and into the woods. The fact that it walked right up to her made me think that it wasn't wild but we are off the beaten path and get only local traffic

Reactions: Teegate

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They might be stocking them down here but I have not heard one in more then 20 years. They do have a reputed quail farm up the road from me.Don't know if thats so but the guy definitely is raising something in those coops behind his house.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Being more of a city girl I'm surprised that she actually bent over and picked it up over the curb since it couldn't make the leap

That sounds like there may have been something wrong with it or its wings were clipped by some idiot for training. Have never seen a Quail, wild or pen raised, that would not take off if something got too close. Nice that it is back in the woods :)