Birding at Lebanon

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Since tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful temperature . . . I'm planning to go out bird watching. I've been to a few of the normal spots recently, but was considering checking out lebanon tomorrow. I have a hunch that the system of cranberry bogs could be good for attracting winter waterfowl and other birds as well. Anyone been out there in the past that could either confirm or deny this notion?

-Bob

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Every Winter a large flock or flocks of tundra swans descend on the reeves' bogs in Lebanon. I'm not sure what month it is that this occurs. Whitesbog is good for these swans also.

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I actually wound up not going to Lebanon. I went to Barnegat Lighthouse State Park. And man was it worth it . . .

First we found this guy:
normal_P1120033copy.jpg

Who was later determined to be a purple sandpiper.

Next were these adorable Ruddy Turnstones:
normal_P1120226copy.jpg

They posed for us just as much as all the birds did that day.

Then a common Loon . . . diving in the water . . eating crabs . . he came pretty close at times:
normal_P1120190copy.jpg

And then the finale, Harlequin Ducks. Highly endangered . . . extremely beautiful, and they seemed to have no fear of us whatsoever.
normal_P1120120copy.jpg

They hung out right next to the jetty . . fussing, diving, flapping, and posing for us. They were so fearless, they chose the time we were closest to hop on the rocks and shake their tails a bit. Even for someone who isn't too thrilled about birds . . . this was a thrill. I HIGHLY recommend taking a trip out to Barnegat Light to see them while they're still there. We also saw a razorbill, every kind of scoter imaginable, long-tailed ducks, and gadwall.

Unfortunatly at around 11am my friend's bad back gave out and ended our trip. But still . . . we saw in two hours of birding what many people never see in 20 years of it. It was a good trip.

-Bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice photo's! I am impressed. Thanks for sharing them.

Jessica and I were there a few weeks back but we did not take the time to look for them. What a mistake!

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Actually I've been to brigantine a few times, and it shouldn't be sold short. There's amazing stuff there . . . what i'm most interested in seeing is the peregrin falcons that are supposedly in that area . . . though i'd imagine they would be next to impossible to photograph.

I'm planning to take a trip out there soon, but at the time my car was in the shop. I just hope that birdwatching continues being this rewarding . . . at least until the herps emerge from hibernation

-Bob