Sep 17, 2002
They blend in well.

IMG_5501.JPG

Guy

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Haven't seen a single mantis all summer. We usually have a couple out in the yard. I did find one of their cousins on the front of the house the other morning.
IMG_7738.jpgI remember years ago Praying Mantis were on the endangered list...are they still? Does any one know anything about "walking sticks"?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Not to upset any bird lovers....but a few years ago my friend asked why the preying mantis would always be perched on her screen next to the hummingbird feeder. This was her answer a few days later. I quickly made sure that my hummer feeders were elevated way above the hedges in the garden where I would see many mantis.

mantis_hum.jpg

turtle

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I never would have believed that Turtle if you hadn't photographed it.An insect taking down a bird,imagine that,it's supposed to be the other way around.
I had always knew that mantis could cut you with their claws but had never had one bite me.My wife swore they could bite and I laughed at her and told her they got her with their claws.A year or so later I picked a huge mantis out of a bush and was holding it to show to a guy I worked with when it twisted it's head and looked me straight in the eye,then bent down and took a chunk out of my index finger with it's mouth,I was dripping blood hollerin I can't believe this crap,momma was right.Hurt worse then most snake bites(pythons excepted).
Al