Blue Fishing

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
After being skunked last Friday we finall hit them today.
I won the pool and me and my brother inlaw walked away with a free trip.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Yes, thats blood all over me.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Nice fishing Ed! I love bluefishing and used to set up trips each year in my office with the Mary M III and the White Star out of Barnegat.
I am having one of my slowest years ever on my boat for fluke and blues off Cape May.
I usually have a freezer full of flounder fillets and plenty of smoked blue at this point in the season.
The continous SW blow has been upwelling the ocean and the nearshore waters and lower Del Bay have been too cold to entice the usual suspects to bite. The Cape May surf was 58 degrees on Friday!
The Old Grounds, a 23 mile run for me, is producing a little better due to the warmer currents but it is a very expensive run for flatties.
My best bluefish grounds out of Cape May are the Five Fathom Bank area and the Sea Isle Ridge. Those areas have not been producing consistently well this year either.
Oh well, beats working.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Nice fishing Ed! I love bluefishing and used to set up trips each year in my office with the Mary M III and the White Star out of Barnegat.
I am having one of my slowest years ever on my boat for fluke and blues off Cape May.
I usually have a freezer full of flounder fillets and plenty of smoked blue at this point in the season.
The continous SW blow has been upwelling the ocean and the nearshore waters and lower Del Bay have been too cold to entice the usual suspects to bite. The Cape May surf was 58 degrees on Friday!
The Old Grounds, a 23 mile run for me, is producing a little better due to the warmer currents but it is a very expensive run for flatties.
My best bluefish grounds out of Cape May are the Five Fathom Bank area and the Sea Isle Ridge. Those areas have not been producing consistently well this year either.
Oh well, beats working.

Smoked blue... What time is dinner?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
My brother and I used to go out for Blue. It's a real blast when you get on them. His recipe used to be to marinate the fish for a few hours in soy sauce, lemon juice, and melted butter. Don't know where he got it, but it worked.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Smoked blue... What time is dinner?

Ain't too many things that don't come out of the smoker tastin' good.
I brine deer and fish the same with water, brown sugar, kosher salt and fresh garlic.
Once deer or fish is on the rack (not together), I hit them with JO Seasoning (similar to Old Bay but better) and run the black pepper mill over it.
Then its two hours over Pennsylvania black cherry or Jersey hickory.
The blue is really good and good for you too, being loaded with the Omega fatty acids. Me and my boys like it and my wife can take it or leave it.
Smoked deer disappears like candy.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Ain't too many things that don't come out of the smoker tastin' good.
I brine deer and fish the same with water, brown sugar, kosher salt and fresh garlic.
Once deer or fish is on the rack (not together), I hit them with JO Seasoning (similar to Old Bay but better) and run the black pepper mill over it.
Then its two hours over Pennsylvania black cherry or Jersey hickory.
The blue is really good and good for you too, being loaded with the Omega fatty acids. Me and my boys like it and my wife can take it or leave it.
Smoked deer disappears like candy.

My brother was a cook at the 1841 house in Marlton, they had a smoke house out back that my father built. They smoked pigs, ducks ,geese, sausage, cheese, fish, and lots of other goodies. I had them smoke a couple of deer legs once and man were they good. They had a bunch of recipes that they had found in really old cook books. One of these days I'm going to build a little smoke house.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Back in the day when we kept pigs on the Elm property, only ever 2-3 at a time(easy to manage), one of the treats aside from all the other fun butchering stuff I'll spare you was the cutting and readying of the hams and such other parts as to be smoked. My dad prepared them in brines of varying stages over weeks in huge tan & brown crocks out on the sun porch in the winter. A system and secret solutions passed down over generations. When ready, they would be hung by wet rope in the homemade smokehouse(simple three walls a roof and a tarp door) The woods of choice were started and tended and then you let it do it's thing.
(sort of long before Ron Popiel's "set it and forget it")
Damn it smelt good!
On a sad note, one year he was smoking meat and killing chickens the same day. Didn't notice the smokehouse caught up and we lost much painfully prepared meat in the fire. Not cool man!
The freaky part, he tossed the charred meat right in the pen of sows that were raised with said meat only weeks prior and they supped with no remorse. Savages!
I refused them their request for some Fava beans and a nice Chianti.

g.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
My brother and I used to go out for Blue. It's a real blast when you get on them. His recipe used to be to marinate the fish for a few hours in soy sauce, lemon juice, and melted butter. Don't know where he got it, but it worked.

I marinaded them in Kraft fat free Italian dressing. When I had my own boat I used to fillet them while they were still wiggling, put them in a zip lock with the dressing and immediately on ice. They were ready by the time I got home.